• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

To Catch, Or Not to Catch?

Years
How do you guys decide which Pokemon to catch for your team? Do you plan it out beforehand or just decide during the game when a Pokemon takes your fancy?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
really just whichever ones strike my fancy in the moment, which is more or less random. I have a vague idea beforehand from looking at the regional dex but I've never fully planned out my team.

pkmin3033

I like having a balanced team, so I tend to plan it out beforehand and then roll with it...I hate catching something, training it, and then deciding I don't want to use it after all. Generally I know what I'm going to use before I've even started the game.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I usually build my team so that it can hit all Pokemon in the game super effectively. Sometimes I take a handful of Pokemon that I really want to use, and build my team around them.

Flan

has the bird flu.
Years
  • Age 27
  • NYC
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
In my first playthrough, I just usually use whichever ones show up first to me in the wild--if I end up liking them, they stay in my team. If not, they get boxed, and I continue my organic search for Pokemon that I like. I typically play blind now, so I come into a new generation without knowing much about all the new Pokemon or the new forms that older Pokemon can take.

During my second playthrough, I plan my team out beforehand using only Pokemon available in the game (for example, I won't be using Mareep in a Sun playthrough), and since I have access to all the Pokemon from my first playthrough, I can easily trade them over as eggs and start my game that way. I always use my starter in both playthroughs, however, and I must always use a different starter each time.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
I usually have a basic plan of my team beforehand. For S&M, I knew which island the Pokemon I wanted for my team were on, and I caught them as I went. During subsequent playthroughs, I usually IV breed and EV train all of my Pokemon so I can completely dominate.

Years
I usually have a basic plan of my team beforehand.

This is how I usually play too, I tend to have a rough idea of my team and end up catching 3/4 of those original Pokemon, with some Pokemon I find during my playthrough ending up on my team.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
This is how I usually play too, I tend to have a rough idea of my team and end up catching 3/4 of those original Pokemon, with some Pokemon I find during my playthrough ending up on my team.

Yeah, I like a loose structure to run off on my first playthrough, just so I don't have any type overlaps or obvious weaknesses. I still add in some pokes on the way through if I like the feel of them.

blue

gucci
Years
i try not to plan it out, but i usually end up thinking up a team before playing a game. if it's a new generation, i try to go in as blind as possible and those teams usually turn out a lot less planned which i prefer.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I plan out my teams beforehand. I even waited until Sun and Moon leaked to see the pokemon so I could decide my team.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
First playthrough is catching everything and figuring out who to keep on my team during the run. In following runs I plan out my team beforehand, usually ending up leaving one spot open or switching out one halfway.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
First playthrough of a game I catch everything, but I generally have some idea of what I want to use. Any subsequent playthroughs though, I only catch what I want to use, and I normally have those teams entirely planned out, with the exception of the 6th Pokemon sometimes.

Years
I try to make a team as I play and fix it up later. I don't plan very much on my first playthrough, aha! Whatever has a good first impression on me, I get.​

Years
Any initial playthroughs of a Pokemon game I try to keep blind, so my teams are rarely planned out aside from one or two exceptions (last time I think I broke this rule was with Litleo in Y). If I'm playing through a game again though, pretty much everything is fair game, and I usually know what my team is going to be about 2 or 3 gyms in, even if I don't have everyone I want yet.

Years
I usually tend to plan ahead, with designs I like being taken into account as well as usability factors like movepool, stats and abilities.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
For my first play of a game I like to just wing it - I knew far too much about HgSs when they came out and my strict adherence to a plan just took a little of the magic out of it. Afterwards, it varies. In Gen III for some reason I seem to do the least planning - I think it's because i'm quite limited in my options due to having no trading, I can't bring in Eggs like I did with my Munchlax, Manaphy and Teddiursa last time I did Gen IV. In Kanto I'll often end up using 8-9 pok?mon for my run through (on my last one I had a Butterfree just for battling Brock and Misty, then phased out my Hitmonlee for Tyranitar before re-battling the Elite Four), and in Hoenn my best laid plans are usually waylaid by how many of the early game pok?mon I really like.

My last playthrough of Platinum had about half the team planned out, currently on HeartGold with the whole team planned out as otherwise I end up drowning in choice. I've never really gone into the Gen V game with much of a plan bar using Victini and Reshiram in my first ever play of Black, and getting Zangoose in Black 2 (the first game I've had where it was available). Not sure why I don't plan in that generation, but it just doesn't happen.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
For my new playthroughs I decide that I want a really balanced team. I usually have a fire, water, and grass type on my team (this includes my starter). I usually have an electric type afterwards (Pikachu is one of my favorites to use) and then I choose two random mons to use afterwards. If it's a new region, I try to mainly stick to new Pokemon.

Back