• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How did you react to the Red Gyarados?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
mRb9KPf.jpg

With Gold, Silver, and Cyrstal, we were introduced to a new concept of shiny Pokemon. To our surprise, we entered Lake of Rage and sitting there was a Red Gyarados. But wait, aren't Gyarados supposed to be blue? Of course this Gyarados agitated to the point where it was forced to evolve which was apart of Team Rockets plans.

How did you react to the initial battle? A little surprised or did it make you even more fascinated? Did you capture it? Was it a valued member of your team?

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I was pretty fascinated by it! I can't remember if I was surprised or not, but I thought it was really cool. I had never had the patience as a kid to train up a Magikarp to evolve into a Gyarados, so I caught the Red Gyarados and it became one of three Water-types in my team haha.

Years
I definitely found it super cool that there was a red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage, as I was pretty unfamiliar with shinies at the time. It was honestly so long ago that I can't remember my initial reaction, but I was probably excited.

Years
I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever, but I had no idea why is was red lol. I didn't know about shiny Pokemon until much later so it was pretty fascinating at the time. I used only Water Pokemon back then, so Red Gyarados was always on my team and it'll always be one of my favorite 'mons.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I didn't get shinies back in Gen II but I remember encountering/catching him all that time ago the first time I played.

Years
I first thought that Gyarados sprite was glitched But i got shocked to find out that Gyarados was shiny.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
Fascinated and angry. Fascinated by how beautiful it was - and angry because I wasn't able to catch it and didn't save before hand. I had to wait till a new gamed and got to that point just to catch it XD

Years
So I don't recall any sort of surprise on my end, but that might have been because I had been spoiling myself as to what happened in G/S...

Was still cool to finally run into it for myself, though. Even if I knew it was there.

blue

gucci
Years
I was probably intrigued, but at the same time didn't really understand shinies back then. All I remember is I wanted to capture it because it looked different to a regular Gyarados!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2022
I don't remember how I reacted exactly. I don't think I was that surprised, though I though it was cool that it was a different color. I remember catching it, but not using it in my team. At that point of the game I already had the team I wanted and did not want to switch out my pokemon for it.

Years
I had the Gen II games pretty much spoiled by a friend that bought Silver like a year before me, so I was really anxious to catch the red Gyarados, but once I caught it, it was like meh, it isn't as cool as I thought, so it lived in one of my Pokémon Gold boxes forever and ever until the internal battery ran dry.

P.S. Like two years after I had Gold, I discovered that Shiny Pokémon was a thing.

Back