• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Artist's Challenge!

Years

Artist's Challenge – Summer time!

It is common knowledge that PokéCommunity is a jack of many trades—mainly thanks to the members!
For they are the ones with the many talents at hand. And I personally know that there are some very talented artists aboard and lurking.

So why not come out of hiding and show the community just what you're made of?

Welcome to PokéCommunity Get-Together 8's Artist's Challenge!

Here, we put contestants at any skill level to the test—how well can people convey the theme in their art?

So how do we do this?

It is very simple; all you need to do is be creative with the theme of the challenge. Get out your pencils and sketch anything related to the theme of summer.
You know…beaches? Heat waves?
Sun bathing? Even melted ice cream? When you summer pops into mind, what is the first thing you associate it with?

We want you to answer that question in the form of art. You can be as crazy as you like,
we love seeing craziness in peoples' drawings! If anything, the crazier you are with your work,
the more likely you are to have people looking on in awe and wonder.

What? Can you be any LESS creative with this theme?

Excuse you! Summer may be a theme used by other competitions in the Get Together…

…but this one comes with a bit of a twist.

While the theme of the challenge is summer, the judges shall expect all entrants to show their creativity…

IN COLOUR!

Spoiler:

What Black and White cleverly does with seasons is play with the tile colour palette in accordance to what the creators feel slot in with the mood of each season—with Autumn having a warm yet cool sort of presentation in contrast to seasons like Spring and Summer, which are both rich in colour and earthly beauties.

This is why I feel colour can play an essential part to identifying what season an artist is trying to portray in their picture, and it's here where I intend to put forth the challenge.

Although entries are not required to be beaming of a rainbow spectrum, entrants will find that the competition around them will motivate them to make their entries stand out.

All you need to do is draw anything you like (bear in mind it doesn't need to be Pokémon related either) and we will mostly evaluate your piece not just by the obvious cosmetic elements of summer (like beaches and water) but also by colour scheme. It should be noted that colours can catch the eye of the viewer immensely, and if your colours are vibrant and warm enough to suit a summer scene—then show us!

Here are some sample colour palettes I made myself, these are ones that I feel can represent any summer piece quite well. Some may seem more unlikely than others, but it's your job as the artist to make them work!

Pick any one you like to work with. You can even work with your own colour scheme, doesn't necessarily need to be the ones I picked out myself.

Spoiler:

Just be mindful of the following requirements.

Rules

• All entries must be made completely by the artist. Art theft will not be tolerated.
    • Art theft is the use of other artwork from the internet and other resources, this is heavily discouraged and could risk your place in the challenge.
  • Entries must adhere to the theme of the competition.
    • Summer is the theme of the challenge.
    • Themes are allowed to be non-Pokémon related.
  • All entries must be made before the deadline.
    • The deadline is Thursday July 21st at 11:59 PM (GMT)
    • Entries shall be evaluated by the judges and results shall be posted shortly after the end of the challenge.
  • Only one entry per person.
    • However, you are allowed to edit your entry before the deadline.

• Entries must be of suitable quality and presentation:
    • All digital art must be saved in PNG or GIF formats, both formats keep the quality of your image clean and crisp. JPEG images are disallowed because the format is notorious for ruining images with poorly compressed artifacts. If you have trouble with saving your images to the either of the appropriate formats, do contact either of the judges for support.
      • Traditional art (drawings made with traditional media such as pencils, crayons, etc.) must be scanned or photographed with good visual presentation in mind, as the judges will not take kindly to poorly presented images. When scanning your drawing, be sure to increase brightness/contrast levels if needed to display your drawing as accurately as it was on paper. If you have no scanner available, photography is a second choice—however—you must take a clear shot of your drawing as if it were a scanned image. Entries that do not adhere to this will be disqualified.

And the rewards?

1stemblem.png
First! - You came 1st Place in the Artist's Challenge during the 2011 Get-Together, showing that you possess great drive, passion and imagination to make an incredible piece of art. Congratulations!

2ndemblem.png
Second! - You came 2nd Place in the Artist's Challenge during the 2011 Get-Together! It was a tough decision, but your artwork still wowed us tremendously!

3rdemblem.png
Third! - You came 3rd Place in the Artist's Challenge during the 2011 Get-Together! Not quite the top, but this still shows you are a very skilled artist!

participantemblem.png
Participant! - You participated in the Artist's Challenge during the 2011 Get-Together! Although you didn't place, your entry was still a work of art!

Have fun, and good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Mine's definitely not going to win any awards, but I was just kind of in the drawing mood after drawing a Pokemon:

Spoiler:

I definitely suck at scenery ;; and what's even worse my scanner is broken so I had to take a picture and it doesn't look too good...

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
Eh... don't think it stands much a chance. I don't feel like I got that summer palette to it.

But none the less:
14nll4h.png

Ta-da! Because Summer is where all the crazy stuff happens, and if aliens were to invade, it'd be then.

Years
Nice entries so far, guys!

@Charizard★ - Can you perhaps brighten your entry up a bit? It's nice, but it would look even nicer when if you added more brightness and contrast to it. :)

@Hikari10 - I'm afraid I'll have to disqualify your entry. The Oshawott is an outside image that I've seen before. It's in the rules that you're not allowed to use outside resources, it's technically art theft. Entries must be drawn completely yourself.

Charmander_004

I love Pokémon and Charmander
Years
Here's is my best artwork.

Ok so i decided to join this contest, cause I dont have too many competition options, but i do love artwork. This is actually something I did in the oekaki section some months ago, only got a comment for it, and since its so far the best thing I could have ever wanted to do and took me a lot of time, i decided to put it up for this contest. Unintentionally it matches the contest's settings and rules so that's why i thought it was perfect for a mid-summer sunset beach setting. You might be wondering whats a charmander doing on a cliff over a beach, well, that charmander sure has a trainer somewhere there. I hope you like it.
OP_837.png

Last edited:

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
I'm gonna enter mine.....I just need to color it though, so I'm going to paste it into this post once I'm done. Reserve me...well, if I'm not too late.

Done. I suck at coloring, so forgive me if it's not the best. I hope to get a place though....the beach ball is in very light colors, so forgive me if it looks white.

Last edited:
Years
I'm so rusty at drawing by hand D:
If i have time i wanna try and remake this in inkscape but if i can't heres my one in oil pastels (touched up in gimp afterwards ;D)

And yes there is a random flower head there ^-^
Spoiler:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
OK, I neglected all my plans for today and threw together a little something.

It's an anthropomorphism of summer. U mad? :D

Mind, I only used SAIs airbrush, and non of them fancy PhotShop cloud brushes (I LOVE THEM btw). Painting clouds manually is quite fun :3
Anyway, I've played plenty with colours. Hope people like it.

There's nothing that says summer to me like a bright, grassy meadow under a blue sky~
yCVLV.png

Last edited:

Aorio

this love will see me through.
Years
Here's my entry! <3

ocean_eyes_by_aorio-d3y0c5i.png

I titled this peace 'Ocean Eyes'. The Eevee's eyes are the colour of the sea, which to me represents a longing for summer :) It's looking into the sunlight, enjoying the new weather. I made the ocean a vibrant blue against the warm sandy colour of the beach, which is totally summer to me. The life-saver-ring thing and starfish were for pops of colour. I hope you like it!
Part of my inspiration was Signomi's picture at the top, and a few other pictures as well.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2012
My Entry!

This is a traditional drawing with colored pencil and some marker. ITs a Wooper buried in the sand, sort of a joke about how it's always smiling, apparently even when about to be drowned 'pirate-style' (though I'm not sure its possible to drown a fish lol)

It says
Still smiling! No one can bring me down!

romdinner

Gazing at the sky...
Years
I wasn't sure if i should enter as my drawing skills aren't that good but decided to enter anyway. It's an old fashion pencil and marker drawing with a touch of paint editing. Hope it's good and somebody likes it :). Good luck to all the participants :D

summer_girl_by_romdinner-d3yxrv5.png

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Statement: This is what summer means to me. As a student, summer is the ultimate release--a final state of relaxation, at a great cost. Realistically speaking, summer is where I've lost most of my knowledge and forgotten a lot of the lessons I've learned throughout the year. This summer in particular has been quite a painful one in terms of some unfinished business before college started. Regardless, it's been nice... Summer is fun, but I feel like (for me) it's without substance.

It's pencil on paper, with watercolor on top. I was going to ink it, but I decided not to since it would take so much more time. I couldn't get the photo to be any whiter, so I just left it grey... I tried to fiddle with the contrast as much as possible too, but that didn't work out too well.

It's... A lot more detailed up close.

Spoiler:

Back