• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wolves

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Many people in America today are still convinced that wolves are vicious, and deserve to be shot, trapped, and poisoned.

In reality, they are shy, elusive animals who prefer little to no contact with humans, and attacks from healthy, wild wolf packs are almost non existant. They live in complex social groups and raise their young better than most animals.

Wolves are also very important to the ecosystem in North America. However, aerial wolf hunts and wolf hunting and trapping seasons are being organized and carried out, often killing thousands of wolves.

If anyone has any questions about wolves, i will anzwer them as best as I can.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
The red wolves are critically endangered, and then, the only ones that are being protected right now are not pures due to them mixing with other breeds in order to simply survive. Now, scientists want to claim that the red wolves should not be protected, due to being hybrids, and let hunters kill them all they want - which they do, seeing as someone had the bright idea to put the reserve in North Carolina, even though it's against the law.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
This reminds me of the whole shark attack conversations. Sharks rarely attack humans but people make such a big deal about the rare attacks that do occur along with the "beastly" shark movies such as Jaws, that it tricks people into thinking sharks are dangerous.

I think the stereotypes need to settle down a little bit since usually the people that spread them usually don't actually know what an animal is like.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
I already knew that wolves had a ridiculous cultural reputation compared to their relative harmlessness, but I honestly hadn't heard that wolf hunting was actually a thing in North America (is that including Canada?). That's really stupid and upsetting.

God, culturally enforced misconceptions are infuriating.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Humans have always been ignorant in terms of animals because we have always thought of ourselves as superior to them. As technology and science reveals that we too are animals, we are beginning to understand the true nature of these "dangerous" animals and have a better time sympathizing and treating them properly.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
Humans have always been ignorant in terms of animals because we have always thought of ourselves as superior to them. As technology and science reveals that we too are animals, we are beginning to understand the true nature of these "dangerous" animals and have a better time sympathizing and treating them properly.

...we are superior

we are superior to all animals

fact is they live because we don't kill them -3-

and the fact that if we are careless enough they will become extinct shows how superior we are.

Now, Sharks won't attack us (cause we usually are far away from their natural habitat)usually UNLESS they smell blood, and when they do, they come speeding.

they are vicious about their food. Same with many predators.

Wolves are super dangerous too. its understandable why anyone would be afraid of them in the sense. i mean would u guys FEEL safe at night, in the woods, with wolves around?

seriously, i'm waiting for that dude the wouldn't care less if there were Lions behind him in the safari, Snakes in the jungle under his feet, Two Wolf packs nesting around his camping site (cause they hate each other) stumbled upon a bear's cave, ect, ect...

I mean, its not to say that they are completely dangerous of anything, but anyone that says "fearing them is an ignorant thing to do" usually is talking out of their arse cause they haven't seen a real wild wolf.

Even gorillas and monkeys in the wild can be feared.

Years
Wolves can be dangerous, like any wild predator, but it doesn't make them something you should fear, just avoid.

And although humans are dominant on the planet that's only one aspect you can compare us to wolves. It's a moral grey area to say that we're superior since, for instance, wolves are better hunters than most humans. Plus, when you get down to it, wolves may go extinct because of our actions, but we could make ourselves go extinct as well if we're not careful.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
Wolves can be dangerous, like any wild predator, but it doesn't make them something you should fear, just avoid.

u avoid them cause u fear what they can do to u.

And although humans are dominant on the planet that's only one aspect you can compare us to wolves. It's a moral grey area to say that we're superior since, for instance, wolves are better hunters than most humans. Plus, when you get down to it, wolves may go extinct because of our actions, but we could make ourselves go extinct as well if we're not careful.

We are superior because wolves are born to be hunters. yet we can still surpass them. and if they literally tried to hunt us in our environment well... yea. We own everything and decide where we are allowed to be or not and what we are allowed to kill or not. It is true that because of our actions, we may go extinct but we would probably take many if not all other species with us. Its like how Germany is dominated by it's people and government. Because They actually owned the land, it would mean war if another Force tried to take it away.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Wolves, koff~

I think wolves should get some semblance of respect, as a predator and as an animal. These things are feral. Sure they may seem shy, but if you're the only meat around for a mile or so you better pray you can climb trees. Some are more dangerous than others (like bears) and it all depends on the situation at hand (bear cubs, wolf den, bee nest, etc.) It's not fair to say something that can kill you isn't dangerous. We're dangerous, sure, but we tend not to kill the UPS man that enters our territory, koffi~

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Wait, what, WE are born to be hunters, and gatherers, yet what percent of the population do you see nowadays that gathers...a small amount...and even less that actually HUNT for FOOD rather than SPORT.

Nowadays, we have a Scholar society which clashes with the developing idiocracy in the world. Some people leave that Scholarly part and become part of a Pleasure society, Sports society, or a Religious society. Whatever works.

Wolves are the same way. They CAN hunt but there ARE wolves that eat plants. Like us, they are omnivorous - even though they are defined as carnivores, they don't HAVE to eat ONLY fauna. By your way of thinking, it is the BODY of something that defines it. This is not the case. We think. Wolves think. We join cliques or go alone, so do wolves. We make and break relationships but desire perfect unions most of all - SO DO WOLVES.

Wolves walk on four legs. We walk on two and use our hands in other ways. But we both run, we both hide, and we both fight. We both live and die. We both think and feel. We're both protective of our loved ones and home. We both see, feel, hear, smell, and taste. We are both animals and we are both mammals. We both can exist in both the day and night. We can both sing and we can both dance.

Wolves and humans may not be one in the same, but we are damn well close enough together for one of us to NOT be greater than the other.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
Wait, what, WE are born to be hunters, and gatherers, yet what percent of the population do you see nowadays that gathers...a small amount...and even less that actually HUNT for FOOD rather than SPORT.

Nowadays, we have a Scholar society which clashes with the developing idiocracy in the world. Some people leave that Scholarly part and become part of a Pleasure society, Sports society, or a Religious society. Whatever works.

Wolves are the same way. They CAN hunt but there ARE wolves that eat plants. Like us, they are omnivorous - even though they are defined as carnivores, they don't HAVE to eat ONLY fauna. By your way of thinking, it is the BODY of something that defines it. This is not the case. We think. Wolves think. We join cliques or go alone, so do wolves. We make and break relationships but desire perfect unions most of all - SO DO WOLVES.

Wolves walk on four legs. We walk on two and use our hands in other ways. But we both run, we both hide, and we both fight. We both live and die. We both think and feel. We're both protective of our loved ones and home. We both see, feel, hear, smell, and taste. We are both animals and we are both mammals. We both can exist in both the day and night. We can both sing and we can both dance.

Wolves and humans may not be one in the same, but we are damn well close enough together for one of us to NOT be greater than the other.

nope :| we were not born to be hunters and gathers, it is thought that some groups did this. but we were just smart enough to hunt. and that actually disproves how we were born to be hunter since its (hunters and gatherers) Wolves with their fangs, stamina, and sense are truly hunters. we just can do it better.

i do not care about what we do the same or not, for that doesn't determine if one species is dominate over another.

what does is the fact that if you yourself truly wanted a Wolf, u could get one from wild. just need to research on something.

what truly is superior is how the only thing stopping us from taking from them, is us. and we can do everything they need to do, but better

it like, sure an 3 wheel bicycle and a two wheel bicycle both can go. but the 2 wheel is superior because its faster and has better cornering.

i mean, the fact that we even have time to treat them with such care just shows how superior we are. i mean is it common for animal to actually go out of their way to protect another species from its own or is it more common that the reason why it isn't eating that animal is because it isn't feeding time?

edit: by your words, it seems u don't hold the grass u step on very highly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
@ nymue: i'm actually not too sure about Canada, but in the States, including Alaska, wolves are being hunted again. the chain reaction is:

Hunters hunt big game, want more, kill wolves. Hunters kill the hinters of the pack, pack must take easier prey, pack sometimes eat livestock. pack eats livestock, pack gets killed, other wolves get killed in the area. round and round and round. The reason the US hunts wolves nowadays is because of sport hunting of animals like elk. they want more to hunt, so they kill wolves, which, of course, gets more wolves killed.

I'm not completely discounting the fact that wolves are potentially dangerous; it wasn't too long ago that someonee was killed by an injured *cough* lone wolf. i was just pointing out that most people feel that wolves are extremely dangerous when, in fact, animals like coyotes are actually much more so. I just feel as if wolves do not nead to be feared, but respected. It's very unlikely that any wolf pack-let alone two- would come into a two-mile radius of your campsite. it's most likely that the unfamiliar sounds; scents, and fire would scare them off before you went to bed. however; lone wolves are a very real threat to campers. but lone wolves aren't the ones who are being aerial hunted, its the wolf packs that just happened to be in a lovely buffet line to die a cruel and unnecessary death.

I think that humans are superior in some sense, but i don't think that gives us the right to wipe out whatever species we don't feel can serve us perfectly at the moment. Humans shouldn't wipe out the world around them, but they do. I think we're superior but not that superior.

And are they serilusly going to kill red wolves!?!?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Ok I do not think Wolves should be erradicated. People are forgetting they had to be reintroduced because the same thing happened before and their prey over run things. Yes although there is hunting, there is a huge excess of animals like dear and elk and predetors such as wolves hunt them and keep them in balance. Wolves do benefit things. Yes, sometimes they do kill livestock which is unfortunate, and I dont think they ought to but they do not know the difference. I dont think they deserve to be extinct. If so it might get to the point where it is extremely difficult to control populations of certain animals due to the fact that not everyone wants to or can hunt. I dont have a problem with wolves at all and think they're cool animals, they can be dangerous, but guess what humans are also dangerous to each other and sometimes go around killing for no reason, wolves dont kill for no reason, they hunt for food and try to defend themselves.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Isn't the main reason why the U.S. are hunting wolves agains because they're no longer endangered (much like the alligators and bison)? They also want to make sure that wolves do not overpopulate the area that could potentially be an issue to not-so-brave civilians.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
what i know is that wolves doesn't attack a group of people..and that they fear dogs and fire...i once saw one but thought it was a dog i was with my sister and we saw it in old uninhabited house..as soon as his eyes glow gold i knew it was a wolf so i told my sister to slowly step back and then we ran like hell lol

i remember it looked a lot like this one

canis-rufus.jpg

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
They aren't overpopulated. Deer and Elk are.

And if it looked like that picture, it was a coyote, as that is a picture of a coyote, which explains why it stayed near you.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
This reminds me of the whole shark attack conversations. Sharks rarely attack humans but people make such a big deal about the rare attacks that do occur along with the "beastly" shark movies such as Jaws, that it tricks people into thinking sharks are dangerous.

I think the stereotypes need to settle down a little bit since usually the people that spread them usually don't actually know what an animal is like.

It's true.

When a lot of people think wolves, they think of them as portrayed in stories like Little Red Riding Hood. But people should realise that these are just stories. People have trouble realising that Jaws is not based on a true story. It's just that our cultures convince us that certain animals are evil, dirty, or disgusting. For example, in the culture I was raised in pigs are considered dirty and viewed with great contempt. I can't eat pork or ham or anything pig. The camp I sometimes go to has a nearby farm which includes a pig, and I can't touch it. (Needless to say, the way that pig eats her food kind of grosses me out. My best friend gave her a corn cob and the pig ate it right out of his hand, leaving his hand full of pig drool.)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
And if it looked like that picture, it was a coyote, as that is a picture of a coyote, which explains why it stayed near you.

Coyote:

coyote_3261np.jpg

Red Wolf:

RedWolf(AB).JPG

^ See the difference?

That wasn't a coyote, it was a Red Wolf.

Many scientists today are stating that the red wolf reserve should be destroyed because the red wolves mixed too much with timber wolves, grey wolves, and cotoyes due to endangerment. Because they aren't "pure", they shouldn't be protected - that's the argument.

Many red wolves look like coyotes due to being hybrids and also due to their history - which we have too many records of for science to disprove that red wolves are "special enough" to protect.

Red wolves and coyotes were some of the first canines we know of in American History. Red wolves even came before Dire Wolves. Which means they existed before grey wolves, timber wolves, white wolves, black wolves, etc - all wolves IN AMERICA...came after red wolves and coyotes. This is why coyotes and red wolves look alike - because similar features existed in both due to being more related with their ancestry.

Dire wolves had the same features but were more massive. They have been extinct for a while.

The red wolves are critically endangered.

Coyotes are about to be endangered, despite being protected due to the fact that humans can't handle coyote environments as well as coyotes can.

This slaughtering of wolves is senseless and MUST stop.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
A few days back I was watching a documentary on Yellowstone. It stated that wolves had been eradicated from Yellowstone for nearly 75 years. The elk numbers increased and the small growing trees of Yellowstone were being sporadically eaten and reduced in size.

So in 1995 some scientists released about 35 Canadian Wolves in Yellowstone and within a year the elk population had been reduced to half. This allowed the trees to start growing again and the beavers started coming back to Yellowstone. Due to them blocking the rivers with their dams more species of aquatic wildife returned here.

That shows how important wolves are to the ecosystem. You can't just kill a predator because it's harmful to man and expect the environment to be the same. Wolve attacks are very rare and humans still think that wolves are some cruel chainsaw which slaughter humans all their life.

Back