• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA dog owners

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Did you get the doggo yourself or is it a family dog? ie did you make the decision to get a dog yourself or did it kind of come with the family

How often do you walk the doggo?

What breed?

Do you bathe/shower/wash the dog ever? Regularly?

What's the hardest or most tedious thing about owning a dog?

I'm personally mostly curious to hear from people who own and care for a dog themselves but if you want to share replies (and questions) from a family dog situation too that's of course fine.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Nobody is surprised by me posting in this thread

Did you get the doggo yourself or is it a family dog? ie did you make the decision to get a dog yourself or did it kind of come with the family
So, I got a pupper with my sister when I was about 8 years old that was mostly her's. She doesn't live with me anymore so I never get to see that little old man. I've been wanting a puppy for years and one day, my parents agreed to help me rescue one, so I went for it!
Assuming the weather allows it, at least once a day. Sometimes up to 3 times.

What breed?
Mutt. He has some retriever, shiba, terrier, .... I'm not sure. A lot of things.

About every two weeks

Waiting for him to poop. Trying to tire him out, as he's still a puppy and he's full of energy all the time!

I'm personally mostly curious to hear from people who own and care for a dog themselves but if you want to share replies (and questions) from a family dog situation too that's of course fine.
no u

--
anyways, I love my little demon.
Here he is in all of his elegance.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I will be focusing this post on the current doggo I have :)

Did you get the doggo yourself or is it a family dog?
The dog I have is a family dog (but I'm the one who mostly takes care of him) and we got him from a family-friend (they weren't breeders jsyk)

At least three times a day! A walk in the morning, afternoon, and night but I usually take out the dog more than that from him loving the outside.

What breed?
Toy poodle :)

Yes! It depends how dirty he is but we usually bathe him every 2-3 weeks. We usually bathe him ourselves otherwise he'll be at the groomers.

The hardest/most tedious thing about owning a dog is probably having to entertain their needs at times when its most inconvenient. For example, trying to get work done and they want attention/to play asap. Or chewing on stuff that its not supposed to. But with that being said, they're all minor little things and your bond with your dog will definitely outweigh those annoyances.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
My sister got a Pomeranian for her 16th birthday, but she moved out and the responsibility fell onto me. She's easy because she runs on a schedule. She wants outside in the morning, then food, when I get home from school she wants outside again. Sometimes I walk her, depending on my mood. I don't have to bathe her or anything, my mom usually just pays a professional.

Some things bother me though. She has a high pitched bark, which rings my ears. I can't play with her long because she'll bark non stop. When I walk her, she always tries to shit in someones yard. She growls outside my room door at night because she wants in, it's cute, until she wants out at 2:00 AM.

She's grown on me though and I love her

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years

When the weather is nice, we try to walk Delphi a few times a day. She's super hyper and loves getting some exercise. My brother and I took to taking her to the dog park fairly often, and we'd walk around and let her run and play with the other doggos.

However, now it's pretty wintery out there, and everyone in my family is under the weather. We're just putting her in the back yard to do her business and burn some energy.

What breed?

She's a mutt, but definitely has a lot of German Shepard blood in her veins. Despite this, Delphi is rather small in stature.

She has shorter fur, so we don't groom her too much. However, we'll be getting it done at the vets, as our bathroom is a bit small and it's far too cold to do so outdoors.

I think it's just how much attention Delphi demands, and how much energy she has. She destroys her toys very quickly, so they don't keep her busy for too long. That, and she likes to drop her one sturdy bone on the hardwood floor, which makes a lot of noise.

But, in all, she a good girl. She's very good about not chewing things that aren't hers, she doesn't bark at everyone that walks on the sidewalk. she is very friendly, she's gentle, and she aims to please.

We had an older Spaniel before adopting Delphi, and I still get sad thinking about her. I love Delphi, but I also really miss Lady sometimes. She was deaf, but was the sweetest thing, and she was pretty independent and calm.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
this thread needs more pictures. post your puppers while you talk about them : (

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
3 times a day, waa. And bathing every few weeks. My mum always handled everything about our dogs so I didn't quite know how much work there was. But I suppose they give a lot of love back :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
My doggo is a family pet, and we got her from a family friend who was sick and couldn't take care of her - at the time, we were only supposed to care for her while she was in the hospital, and whenever she was out we would return her until the next time she needed us to care for her, but eventually we grew too attached to her, and seemingly Mocha (our dog) did not want to leave us either. She'd run away to look for us when she was in her care, and every time we would return her she would thrash when her old owner picked her up, and misbehave in ways she never would when she was in our care. So eventually we offered to buy Mocha from her, and she's been with us ever since.

This was about 15 years ago, so she's been with us for quite a while. She's going on 17 this year, ot some heart problems and a bit of coughing now, but still relatively spry and active for her age. :) I think I've posted quite a few pictures of her on PC over the years, but here are a few more
Spoiler:

For the other questions: She walks once a day now - she still loves her walks but doesn't have as much stamina as she used to. She's a yorkie, and we bathe her every couple of weeks? No real schedule or anything, just whenever she stinks/seems to need a bath.

Hardest thing for her is probably the grooming - we do it all ourselves and she doesn't go to a groomer, but my mom likes her fur fairly long so it does take some time to keep her clean.

Another thing that gets harder with age is illnesses - she's pretty healthy but we've had a few scares, and finding a vet that will really tell you what she needs can be tough, it often feels like they take advantage of your concern for your pet to squeeze a few extra hundred dollars from you or suggest unnecessary procedures, and man those vet visits and medication get expensive.

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
Years

What breed?

1 - Two doggos, both family doggos. A little 8 year old brown furball, with lots of fluffiness, who loves belly rubs and warming our feet, and a year old overgrown puppy who loves jumping around the place. It came with family, my brother always wanted one and when my father found the brown furball at the side of a road near a farm on a rainy day, little puppy was less than a month old, we took him in.
Then for the last couple of years we have been thinking about getting the furball a companion, and we got from a local shelter this puppy that was part of a litter of 5 or 6 that was abandoned and found in a trash can. And if I ever find who did that, I will punch them in the face so hard they will swallow all their teeth.

2 - Rarely. Me and my brothers study in different cities and my father is out working most of the time, but we have quite some open space outdoors in the house where they can run and play at will.

3 - We don't know, no idea on their parents or their breeds. Again, they were found abandoned as puppies and taken in. Overgrown puppy is definitely a mix of several though.

4 - Once or twice a year, usually during the summer. They don't need to be bathed much more often than that, at least according to our vet. We do groom the eldest more often because he las longer fur, overgrown puppy has shorter fur so there isn't much need for it

5 - Getting them to stop jumping all around you. Our overgrown puppy demands a lot of attention, is way too energetic and is stubborn as fuck.

The real question here is: why are you making the inferior choice.

stfu dogs are the greatest companions one can ask, don't insult doggos

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
The dog my family has now is basically my mom's dog. I take him on walks and bathing him is a family affair because he weighs more than me and hates them so i can't do it myself lol

I plan on getting my own dog in ~2 years, depending on a few things. I think a dog could be really good for me but also super tough due to school and health, but I definitely feel like I'm gonna end up fostering sometime soon

Sirfetch’d

I love my dog! He's a long-haired mini dachshund that we've had around 5 years. I had just graduated HS when I got him after convincing my mom it was time to get another one after our old dog had died.

He's quite cute and pretty well behaved! He spends most of his day playing with Christos the cat who is his bestie.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
My friend at the time knew I wanted a dog and her family no longer wanted one of their dogs. I asked my parents and they said she could stay for the night and they would see how she did. She ended up taking a piece of steak from the stove and threw up in my brothers room but they said we could keep her anyway lol

I live on a very large piece of land so I don't have to walk her. She goes to the door when she wants to go out, does her thing, and comes back. We do walk together in the woods but she's not on a leash so it's more like hanging out to me

Hardest part of owning a dog has been the guilt I feel when I'm out for a long time. When I'm home she spends most of her time with me and she sleeps in my bed with me every night so I've become very attached

Last edited:
Back