• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Thanx so much for fast reply!!
It's all for fun of collecting and not so much for the value, but it's good to know what the community thinks.. :D

My gf have this card, and it's stray out from a retail store. What do you think about the missing ink?
Not so lucky..?

View attachment 83184

Again.. Thanx

That looks like a giant scratch and that will definitely lower the value of the card.

Thank you for the fast reply!

I have the water type mew delta species with the gold star.

That looks to be fetching anywhere between $20 and $90.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 24, 2017
untitled_by_pookacrew-dbocz80.jpg
so i have this Lapras card i assume is a First Edition Fossil Holo and i was curious of how much it would go for if i were to sell it. the holo has scratches but i intend to restore it if possible. what would you say it goes for?

Years
untitled_by_pookacrew-dbocz80.jpg
so i have this Lapras card i assume is a First Edition Fossil Holo and i was curious of how much it would go for if i were to sell it. the holo has scratches but i intend to restore it if possible. what would you say it goes for?

Okay, so restoring those scratches is not possible to my knowledge.

Also 1st Edition cards all have a specific symbol on them (a black circle with a clear "1" in it, plus "Edition" wrapped around of the top of the circle) that looks like this:

300px-1st_edition_English.png

Your card lacks this symbol, therefore it is not a First Edition.

Mint and near mint versions of your card go for between $1 and $3. Yours is not either of those and would likely fetch between $0.50 and $1.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 5, 2017
Need some help

Hey guys,
Can someone help me to find out what's that? I got it in a big pack of randoms cards buyed to someone last week. Thx for all.

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 9
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 5, 2017
Oh, sorry if i made any mistakes about that..
Its the front on the cards, i think (icant really remember) that i already see something like that on internet but cant find it again. One of my friend told me that its juste the holo parts of the card on the pokémon part have been removed.. i just want to know if someone can confirm that or have another explanation.. thx for jour attention

Years
Oh, sorry if i made any mistakes about that..
Its the front on the cards, i think (icant really remember) that i already see something like that on internet but cant find it again. One of my friend told me that its juste the holo parts of the card on the pokémon part have been removed.. i just want to know if someone can confirm that or have another explanation.. thx for jour attention

Terminology would be blank holo or something like that. Forget the exact terminology. It's something that happens occasionally at the factory where they miss a layer or of someone intentionally scractches off the face of the card or otherwise removes the face of the card to leave just the holo layer. Unfortunately, those ones you've got look extremely beat up and might not have any value left.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 12, 2017
Hey Guys,

I'm new here! I used to collect First Generation Pok?mon cards back when I was a kid. I'm now 27 and after keeping them all these years, I realised that some of them might be worth quite a bit of money. I have tonnes of common and uncommon Pok?mon cards, energy cards and trainer cards. The only cards which I think might be worth something decent are the 8 holofoil cards in the pictures at the following link:

https://imgur.com/a/IIgwh

I've listed them with the numbers in the bottom right corner of the card.

1. Wigglytuff - 19/130
2. Dark Machamp - 10/82
3. Vaporeon - 12/64
4. Charizard - 4/102
5. Venusaur - 15/102
6. Blastoise - 2/102
7. Dark Blastoise (1st Edition) - 3/82
8. Mew (x5) - 8

I'm aware that Charizards can be worth a lot of money. My one isn't a 1st edition but it is a holofoil. I've attached a close up picture of it. The Charizard and all other cards are in almost mint condition I would say but I'm not sure how they would be graded by PSA.

I have 5 copies of the Mew card. None of them are holofoil but I figured they're probably pretty rare.

How much do you think my collection is worth?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Oct 8, 2017
Pokemon Collection Question

Hi All,
Can someone help me identify this card. Not sure what set it comes from and can't seem to find out.
Thanks!
Roger

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    95 KB · Views: 6

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Hi All,
Can someone help me identify this card. Not sure what set it comes from and can't seem to find out.
Thanks!
Roger
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Deoxys_(EX_Deoxys_16)

"A number of other English promotional variants of this card were subsequently released, the first of which came packaged with North American DVD copies of Destiny Deoxys in February 2005. This print has a foil stamp of the movie logo in the bottom right corner of the artwork."

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 24, 2018
Hi there. New to these forums so apologies if this is the wrong place.

Found these in a massive mixed box in the loft. They look slightly smaller than a genuine Pokemon card and they all have a slightly glossy feel to them as apposed to the normal matte finish.

The Ancient Mew card is the correct size but doesn't seam to have a set number in the corner, and looks like its pealing off like a sticker.

The "Gengar" that looks like a Haunter is a Shiny.

That coupled with the nonsensical evolutions and weird names lead me to think they're fake but I thought Id check before I bin them (and give you lot a laugh :D)

Attachments

• Fake Pokemon Cards 1.jpg
    Fake Pokemon Cards 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Years
Hi there. New to these forums so apologies if this is the wrong place.

Found these in a massive mixed box in the loft. They look slightly smaller than a genuine Pokemon card and they all have a slightly glossy feel to them as apposed to the normal matte finish.

The Ancient Mew card is the correct size but doesn't seam to have a set number in the corner, and looks like its pealing off like a sticker.

The "Gengar" that looks like a Haunter is a Shiny.

That coupled with the nonsensical evolutions and weird names lead me to think they're fake but I thought Id check before I bin them (and give you lot a laugh :D)

Yeah, those are 100% counterfeits. Ancient Mew didn't actually have a set number so that might actually be legit.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 24, 2018
OK, thanks. If the Ancient Mew is legit, its the English print is it not? i.e. ~£10?

The bottom of the card reads:
©1995,96,98,99 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, ©1999-2000 Wizards.

Also, does it belong to any particular "set"? "promo" perhaps?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 58
  • Seen Oct 14, 2017
I just received a Primarina GX I ordered from E-Bay.
It's collector number 42/149 from the Sun & Moon Set.

The picture looks right, and the energy costs and attack descriptions are right, but the names of both attacks are printed wrong.
Instead of Bubble Beat, the first attack is named Psychic Transfer, in red font.
Instead of Roaring Seas, the second attack is named Moongeist Beam, in standard black font.
It looks like these were copied from Lunala GX, and somehow ended up on this card.

Additionally, the GX attack, Grand Echo GX, lists a damage rating of 50x, where it shouldn't have any damage listed at all (since the "attack" is actually a healing power, and does no damage).

Do you think this is a fake card, or a manufacturer's error? If an error, does that make it worth more money? I plan on returning it to the vendor and getting my money back, unless the error makes it worth a lot (it's in new condition). I can post a picture of the card if that helps.

Years
OK, thanks. If the Ancient Mew is legit, its the English print is it not? i.e. ~?10?

The bottom of the card reads:
?1995,96,98,99 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, ?1999-2000 Wizards.

Also, does it belong to any particular "set"? "promo" perhaps?

It tends to get lumped in with the early Black Star Promos (the Wizards of the Coast ones), but it's not really a part of any set.

I just received a Primarina GX I ordered from E-Bay.
It's collector number 42/149 from the Sun & Moon Set.

The picture looks right, and the energy costs and attack descriptions are right, but the names of both attacks are printed wrong.
Instead of Bubble Beat, the first attack is named Psychic Transfer, in red font.
Instead of Roaring Seas, the second attack is named Moongeist Beam, in standard black font.
It looks like these were copied from Lunala GX, and somehow ended up on this card.

Additionally, the GX attack, Grand Echo GX, lists a damage rating of 50x, where it shouldn't have any damage listed at all (since the "attack" is actually a healing power, and does no damage).

Do you think this is a fake card, or a manufacturer's error? If an error, does that make it worth more money? I plan on returning it to the vendor and getting my money back, unless the error makes it worth a lot (it's in new condition). I can post a picture of the card if that helps.

That sounds like a counterfeit. Mind posting pictures?

Years
  • Age 58
  • Seen Oct 14, 2017
I've attached a picture of the card.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 11

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I've attached a picture of the card.

Definitely counterfeit. Not only are the attack names wrong as you've pointed out, but the fonts are wrong (the attack effects are just one example; the lowercase "L" shouldn't have a tail and the lowercase "G" shouldn't have a break in the tail), the foil pattern wrong (it should have the diagonal ripple effect like regular S/M holos), and too much of the card is shiny (the Water-type texture at the top and bottom of the card as well as the set symbol shouldn't be shiny). It's also missing the Water symbol in the first attack's effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back