• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Discuss Popularity...

User19sq

Did it exist in your school or online circles? Were you popular? Unpopular?

It, oddly enough, didn't exist in my schools. I mean, there were the preppy kids, but nobody thought of them as "popular" by any means. That made it easy for them to interact with life's rejects like me. And they'd kinda treat me like a novelty, but they weren't really popular.

Am I the only one thinking that it's a pop-culture myth? Cuz I've yet to see it in action.

User19sq

If you were in my old high school's drama club though, you were more than likely in the Cool Kids Club.

That's... the oddest choice of a cool kids' setting. Did you go to school with the guys from Dawson's Creek, or something? XDDDDD

Years
I wasn't popular at all, everyone knew of me, but negatively because of rumors that bullies spread. :/ I was bullied quite a bit.

Nowadays I'm not really, but I don't really care.

blue

gucci
Years
not so much in secondary school but definitely moreso in college. i never enjoyed secondary school and i barely even attended so that didn't help.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
Did it exist in your school or online circles? Were you popular? Unpopular?
In middle school, i think it existed yeah but what middle school doesn't have popular kids lmao. i was..pretty unpopular. like, i had a group of friends sure but we were just... average. not popular at all. in high school, they were cliques and stuff but i didn't really pay attention to them. in public school there were cliques. but i wasn't really in any of them i guess, i just was in my own little circle of small friends i had. at my private school, there were.. small cliques, but nothing serious. i pretty much got along with everyone there. i would say i was..sort of popular. i was pretty well known as the person who loved cats and pokemon. so yeah. i didn't like everyone at my private school but i made sure to get along with everyone.

Years
Popularity/Unpopularity will exist in every social setting. It's just a fact of life that some people are more well-liked/respected than others, both offline and online. I don't think I've ever been a particularly popular person, although like others have said I've been well-known but I've never been bothered by that.

Years
My school is literally the stereotypical movie school with the different groups and stuff, but I suppose every school has elements of that tbh. I'm in the 'popular' group I guess you could say, although there is a couple of these circles in my school.

Years
Nah not at all. I was pretty shy in high school. Maybe in my final year people in my classes became more aware of my presence since I opened up a bit, but I wouldn't ever consider myself 'popular' at the time. Far from it.

gimme's right that popularity will exist in pretty much any setting and that's unavoidable. For me personally, I'm honestly happy just being the sheep who blends in, especially irl where I prefer not to be too known and stand out. Hence my username. :p

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I was popular when I was younger but in high school I chose to fade as far back as possible. Now I've stopped trying to fade so much but generally I'm reserved anyway

Bay

Years
I don't think I have much of a presence in middle school, but I got to become more known in high school. Don't know if I'm considered popular, but I hang out with friends that are more respected/social and they've been pretty friendly to me for the most part.

In terms of a social presence in the internet, far from it, though some of my friends know me as "the gal that writes for too many fandoms" haha.

Coffee

Banned
Years
There's no one really 'popular' in our school. Everyone is too busy with school work and their own little groups.

Online I'm the hottest stuff around of course. Eeeeeveryone talks about me.

eeeeeveryone ;-;

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
in high school I was pretty well-known and well-liked, for the most part, especially during senior year. I really opened myself up to a lot of people and made a lot of cool friendships with people I probably never would've considered being friends with in the past. thus far in college though I've faded so far into the background and I don't really even mind it that way. I have a handful of incredibly meaningful relationships in my life, and that's all I need or want at this point. I had my Lots Of People fun.

Cariad

world.search(you);
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 25, 2023
i'm not so much 'popular' as i am well liked - i'm not rly close to any of the more well-known ppl in my school but i'm still friends or at least on good terms w/ most of them. popularity does exist in my school, but not in the mean/bullying sort of sense it's stereotyped as - some ppl just know more ppl than others and talk to everyone, and some don't. i wouldn't consider myself popular or unpopular tbh, i'm kinda just there.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Ooh, this is a juicy topic. I'm glad that you brought it up, Taro.

I don't really remember my elementary years, so I can't really speak there. But as for middle and high school, I can definitely tell you some stuff.

My middle school was a lovely little hell-hole. You were either a part of the preppy, popular group, or you were an outcast not worthy of other's time. I was obviously the second one. While I hated that basically all of the popular group's members were complete assholes to me and my friends, I still had my outcast friends so everything was good.

In high school though, everything changed. Popularity faded away, and kind of became a false concept. There was still the group of preppy jerks who thought that they were popular, but they were really just a group a jerks. That was the social system there. There were many groups of friends, and very few really cared about the other groups. It was honestly a good system for me, even though I was a small part of many groups rather than a large part of one.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
Definitely exists in my school, but it seems to exist in a slightly different form. It's either a popular person is really talkative and outgoing and at the very most somewhat asshole-ish, really intelligent and most of a person's classes are AP, or both.

I don't exist in this group of popular people. I never knew about it until about two weeks ago, but I have this neutral expression that tells people around me "stay away from her", and it's not so bad since being around people makes me quite nervous, but at the same time I didn't really have friends for the first two years of high school because of it, so you could probably say I fit into more of the unpopular group. People know I exist and they're nice to me (which I'm absolutely grateful for) they just kinda... avoid me.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
I don't exist in this group of popular people. I never knew about it until about two weeks ago, but I have this neutral expression that tells people around me "stay away from her"

What you have is what I like to call "resting bitch face". I found out during my high school years that I too have it! It can be annoying, since you seem less approachable than what you really are. You can definitely be less popular with people when you look like you're ready to assault someone.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
Years
It's certainly a thing at my school. If you aren't popular, you're dead to everyone else apparently :I
I'm not, as I'm very shy. I wouldn't want to be anyway. I hate attention and I'm very happy with the small group of friends I have now.

Years
I was quite popular in elementary school, and then all of the sudden my family decided to move to the US. Since I didn't know much English back then, I couldn't really even warm up to my peers. I started to regain some semblance of popularity during later years in high school but then we all graduated and everyone went their separate ways so I was back at square one again.

I don't do social media, either... actually I think I had Facebook a long time ago and got banned for making some crude joke about one of my teachers (I didn't even dislike her so it certainly wasn't done out of malice) but I don't remember in detail nor do I care enough to go back and find out exactly what happened.

Years
My school is exactly the same as OP's

I have a friends, but outside that group, I don't talk to anybody. I don't like attention in general but it makes me look so introverted.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
I have a close group of friends and I get along with all the people in my grade. I have never been an excessive victim of bullying or anything like it and I can talk to people in other grades when I need to.

I am not popular but not entirely unknown either, so maybe a middle ground?

Back