• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Anyone want to go through the games with just new Pokémon?

Years
I had a lot of fun playing BW since we were limited to new Pokémon, felt like a fresh experience even for myself as a long-time fan. Will any of you guys use all or mostly all new mons on your team? Or do you plan to use existing as well?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not sure about just new Pokemon, but if not then the vast majority of my team would have new Pokemon. I did that in SM (if you count alolan forms), while in USUM I went with a mix of gen 7 and older gen pokes, the latter mostly ones I never used in a run before.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i always play new gens the first time around with a team entirely made up of new pokemon so yeah, i'm going that route.

Last edited:

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I plan to use New mom's with maybe the exception of Jangmo-o since I'm getting the dual pack and I've never used it x'D

Years
So, I've been giving this a lot of thought, lately.

One of the main reasons why I struggle to remember a lot of Gen 6 and 7 Pokemon is because my mentality when playing the games was to use as many of the Pokemon I was already familiar with as possible. Unfortunately, this meant that since I was already comfortable with using a lot of the older Pokemon, I didn't give a lot of newer Pokemon a chance. I skipped over a lot of them and continued using a lot of the "old" Pokemon.

Now, don't get me wrong -- In gen 6 and 7 I've used some new Pokemon, so I didn't ignore all of them, but... even so, it wasn't enough and I stuck mainly to the oldies.

That all being said, I honestly wouldn't mind, for the first time ever (at least, since Gen 5), going through a region with completely new Pokemon with a completely new experience. It should feel refreshing, I think.

Years
Normally I would play through first time with just new pokemon but cant justify it with the new pokemon I've seen so far only 2 are worth a go

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
Years
One of the main reasons why I struggle to remember a lot of Gen 6 and 7 Pokemon is because my mentality when playing the games was to use as many of the Pokemon I was already familiar with as possible.

Great point.

I was planning on reversing this trend with this gen by using new 'Mons only, however so far, none of the designs are to my liking, so I'm struggling with what I will ultimately do.

However, due to the recently revealed national dex news, i may not have a choice. :laugh-squinted:

Years
I'm going to use whatever I feel will round out my team the best, so far I've got 3 Galarian Pokemon on my team.

My starter, who I haven't chosen yet because I wanna see the evolutions.
Impidimp, especially if he gets a cool evo, plus fairy/dark is cool af.
and Rolycoly, because it's the best thus far.

If Wooloo evolves into the rumored "Wolf in sheep's clothing" it'll be included too!

I'm just excited to see what else we get!

Years
i've never really thought about it that way -- usually my story team just sorta comes together, i try to create a diverse typing scheme of course, but usually i just have pokemon i like on it... i suppose looking back, that's why my story teams have typically been a mix of new/old pokemon! maybe i'll actually try to keep it to galar pokemon only this time. i like a handful of the new pokemon we've seen so far, hopefully i'll continue to like whatever designs they show us!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 24, 2020
I've always used new pokemon every time I play a new game. I've always felt it was stale training the same team with the same nature breeding the same ivs ever since RBY. Like what's the point of carrying the same pokemon over and over?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
i'm one of those that always try to play through a new generation with new pokemon during the first playthrough so yes i'll be doing the same come swsh as well.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I suppose while I appreciated/didn't mind having to use new Pokemon in BW, I can see why others wanted to use some of their old favs even in the regular story. Other games have given players that choice, while BW had enforced it short of trading somehow. (FRLG was also limiting and insisted evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon didn't exist...)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I always play new gens with all new mons, so absolutely! I'm thinking about copping Yamper for my team definitely, I hope he evolves into something cool! Oh and Rolycoly

Years
new pokemon games get more fun when you use the new pokemon. but I guess if you have a favorite pokemon from the other games...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
I always play the games with new mons each run. Most pokemon games don't allow for transfers until post-game anyways, and I'm not waiting.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I'll give new ones a chance, at least the ones I love
finding out that Eevee is in the game, I will also include one, in every team, keeping my most favorite Pokemon in the team (just hope its obtainable early in the game)

Sirfetch’d

I never use old Pokemon in my first run in new games. To me it really dampens the new adventure if you are using older Pokemon. They will always be there for replays! I plan to stick to that and only use new Pokemon this time around too.

Years
To answer my own question, I'll try! Already decided on Scorbunny, Wooloo, very possibly Yamper, maybe Alcremie....and there are still more mons to be announced. Really liking the designs this generation. =')

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
I feel like I wouldn't mind using only the new ones, especially since new pokemon are probably my favorite thing about new Pokemon games! There have already been quite a few cool designs that I could see myself using in a team, and the ones seen in the trailers most likely won't be all of them either.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
Everytime I play a new generation game, my entire team is always made of new pokémon, so yes, I'm ONLY going to use Gen 8 Pokémon, probably more than 6, meaning I'll be switching party members every now and then :)

Back