The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
1st Gen Replay Value

Old March 14th, 2018 (6:11 PM).

Nature: Serious
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Astinus View Post

That said, I'm another person who finds it difficult to go back to the Generation 1 games. Particularly Red and Blue. Yellow was all right to get through, but Red and Blue can be difficult to play. The mechanics bother me (Wrap!) and the graphics can get tiresome to look at. They're glitchy as well.

I like Kanto just fine. I also like FR/LG because those games allow me to explore Kanto with more enjoyment than I get while playing Blue or Yellow.
    Hi, since you quoted me I wanted to respond to this by simply pointing out the whole statement I made. The next sentence I wrote was that frlg's claim to fame is that it looks and runs like Ruby and Sapphire. Generally, the arguements I have heard in favor of frlg over rby are based on its resemblance to RSE. I don't think this part of my comment is actually contradicting what you have said so far. The reasons you named for liking the frlg better than the originals such as the graphics and mechanics can be attributed directly to the Hoenn region games. I would say that if you don't get much enjoyment out of the originals and have a strong preference for FRLG then it is not actually Kanto that you are responding to, what you seem to most value is that it runs like RSE. Again, if you like frlg then good for you, I'm cool with that. But I'm also mindful of the fact that the story that makes FRLG is still there in RBY. Frlg has a tendency to water Kanto down, but it ultimately does not add that much new content compared to other remakes like HGSS or ORAS. If the originals are barely playable, but the remakes are very to enjoyable to the same gamer then I do question whether it is actually the world of Kanto that the player is enjoying if the originals have lost most of their worth. Again, this is not a criticism, just an observation.

Name: Narcissus
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 29th, 2018 (7:36 PM). Edited March 29th, 2018 by Gabriel8897.

Honestly, the first time i ever knowed the existence of pokémon red, blue and yellow, was in 2011 or 2012 or 2013 by some random youtube gameplay video, then i downloaded visual boy advance and the roms of pokemon r/b/y and i've just had some fun with it.
      But i never beated it.
      So my save game is not ended yet, i have all the badges but i know there is my rival and the elite 4 too, and a team that is
      Zena (a nidoqueen level 46)
      Kyle (a fearow level 46)
      Dylan (a nidoking level 46)
      Benny (a blastoise level 46)
      Connor (a raticate level 46)
      and Smokeweeds (a vileplume level 25), i've never bothered training it because i only needed him because of cut)
      And now i am in the indigo plateau, i don't think i will beat the elite four and my rival with a team that is like underleveled like that, i think i will train them until 55 or 58 idk.
      (Sorry for the long and off-topic comment but i saw the need to write all of this)
      PS: I do winned battles with Smokeweeds, but are just luck.
      Old April 12th, 2018 (6:12 PM).

Nature: Quiet
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Gabriel8897 View Post
        Honestly, the first time i ever knowed the existence of pokémon red, blue and yellow, was in 2011 or 2012 or 2013 by some random youtube gameplay video, then i downloaded visual boy advance and the roms of pokemon r/b/y and i've just had some fun with it.
        But i never beated it.
        So my save game is not ended yet, i have all the badges but i know there is my rival and the elite 4 too, and a team that is
        Zena (a nidoqueen level 46)
        Kyle (a fearow level 46)
        Dylan (a nidoking level 46)
        Benny (a blastoise level 46)
        Connor (a raticate level 46)
        and Smokeweeds (a vileplume level 25), i've never bothered training it because i only needed him because of cut)
        And now i am in the indigo plateau, i don't think i will beat the elite four and my rival with a team that is like underleveled like that, i think i will train them until 55 or 58 idk.
        (Sorry for the long and off-topic comment but i saw the need to write all of this)
        PS: I do winned battles with Smokeweeds, but are just luck.
        I want everyone to ignore this comment, i've already beat pokémon red, so you don't need to ask this old account and comment.
        Old April 19th, 2018 (4:12 PM).
        Water Pokémon Master

I've beaten Pokemon Red over 400 times, but that's because I do speedruns of the game. I've put in over 200 hours so not quite as much as I've spent in competitive battles with X/Y, but still I love replaying Red. There's so much nostalgia in Kanto for me, just walking through Viridian Forest and visiting the old Gym Leaders is such a fulfilling experience to me.

When it comes to actual gameplay I love how fast Pokemon Red is compared to the other games. The newer generations, while amazing, are slowed down by their animations and tutorials. There's also few barriers to moving around the Kanto region. You can really make your way around without doing lengthy quests or dialogue sessions with npcs. The only significant obstacles being Snorlax and the Saffron City guards.
          Old April 21st, 2018 (4:03 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Venks View Post
          I've beaten Pokemon Red over 400 times, but that's because I do speedruns of the game.
          whoa muk, really?

that's a LOT of times to beat a game, even if you do speedruns

....it sounds like a lot to me anyway, the most amount of times I've ever cleared any game iirc is ~15, and most games have only ever gotten to half of that for me

Quick Reply