• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sinnoh Knights: Pokemon But Not Really

Years

Sinnoh Knights

Welcome to the Sinnoh Region, but not as you know it from the games or anime. This world is not populated by Pokemon but by ordinary animals. There is no gyms, no league and no trainers, but Pokemon exist in a different form. In this world they exist as powerful spirits that those who are trained to can allow to possess them, granting them special powers. These people are referred to as Knights, members of the Knights Guild, and venerated protectors of the region. A great many aspire to join their ranks, few are able to make the cut.

You are a member of the Knights of Sinnoh, a trainee member known as a squire. You have passed your initiation test and are one of a small group who have trained under a full-fledged knight. Your graduation exam is fast approaching now, but more deadly events are also getting underway in the shadows.

The Knights
Knights, and by extension squires, have been trained to summon Pokemon spirits from within special crystals called Pokeballs. They can then take them into themselves, gaining special powers and developing traits that match the species of spirit that possesses them called an "Armour".

Members of the Knights Guild are divided into several ranks. Above them is a government-appointed Director General who is the overall commander of the Guild.

Squires: Trainees who are supervised by a mentor Knight. They are restricted to the use a single stage-one Pokemon. You begin the RP as a squire approaching their graduation exam.

Knights: Full-fledged members of the guild. They are sometimes appointed as instructors to squires.

Knight Elites: The highest rank in the guild. Most instructors are of this rank.

Spirits
Pokemon spirits will grant the Knight they possess with characteristics that match their own. This doesn't just refer to the slight physical changes, but also to enhancements in strength, durability or speed that match the talents of that Pokemon and the ability to use special moves.

A Knight in armour will be able to employ the combat skills they have learned in training, basic blasts of power that fit the Type of their spirit or physical attacks endowed with that same power. In addition they will gain the ability to perform four (max 6) special moves that share names and effects with the standard moves from the games.

There are three standard stages of spirit. These correspond to the evolutionary stages of the game and like the game are permanent evolutions. These are Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three. For example, Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur are Stages One, Two and Three in that order. In addition to these standard evolutions, there are also a few other kinds of non-permanent transformations, the "common" ones being:

Form Change: This doesn't result in an overall increase in power, but can somewhat shift how that power manifests. For example, a Shaymin Knight would have access to armour based on both forms a perfectly balanced one for normal Shaymin and a more offensive one for Skymin. Only Pokemon that can naturally change form come with this ability.

Delta Switches: A change based around Pokemon with Regional Variations in the games or Delta Species versions in the TCG. Using a special item called a Delta Shard, a Knight can unlock the ability to switch their armour between the normal version and the variant version at will. Overall very similar to Form Change.

Break Mode: Based loosely off of an evolution type from the TCG, this is an ability available from stage two onwards and to all non-evolving Pokemon (most of which count as stage two). The Knight becomes engulfed in a glowing Aura of the colour corresponding to the spirit's type (ie. yellow for Electric, red for Fire). In Break Mode offensive power and speed are doubled whilst defenses and durability are halved. In Break Mode Knights gain access to a one-use Z-Move either customised to their spirit or matching one of the standard ones from the game. After a z-Move is used, you revert back to your normal form (no dancing required).

Mega Evolution: Only available to non-evolving Pokemon or Stage Three mon, this is typically considered the most powerful transformation.The Knight takes on a greater number of their Pokemon's traits (those of its Mega Evolved form) and will experience great changes to their capabilities equivalent to those of their spirit's Mega Form. Unlike the games, all Stage Three and most non-evolving Pokemon will have access to Mega Evolution. If this is a custom Mega, make sure you run over appearance and characteristics with me first. Ash-Greninja is to be considered Greninja's Mega Form.

Transformations like Form Changes or Delta Switches do not require any special training to gain access to as they do not increase the power of your armour. Break Mode and Mega Evolution however will be harder to obtain. In addition to these forms, other special, unique forms might also be revealed as the RP progresses.

Mechanics
This RP is chapter-based with each chapter being further divided into specific quests that you will complete to develop your characters, earn rewards and move the story forward. Each mission will come with an Experience Point reward for completing them, these can be spent to evolve Spirits, change your moveset (or add a new move slot), or obtain a new spirit by RNG.

New Move - 25 exp
New Move Slot - 50 exp
First Evolution - 75 exp
New Spirit - 100 exp
Break Mode - 125 exp
Second Evolution - 150 exp
Mega Evolution - 175 exp

tl;dr
I took Pokemon, went full anime with it, then added some RPG elements.

Years
I don't really see the interest in taking the Pokemon world and subtracting its unique feature (its beloved creatures) in favour of powering up some humans instead.

The appeal is in taking the franchise and reinventing it in a new and interesting way. It's fun to take existing things and to twist them into something fresh and exciting. It creates a new way to experience a franchise we all love.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
...huh?
It's not post apocalyptic at all. It takes place in a perfectly unapocalypsed age. I have no idea where you got that from.

Maybe not the best example. What I meant was more of a ''world that was beautiful before and is now fucked up'' That's the overall feel I get from this. By removing the Pokémon, that is the effect it gives. I think this would work better if it wouldn't take place in a Pokémon World.

Years
Maybe not the best example. What I meant was more of a ''world that was beautiful before and is now fucked up'' That's the overall feel I get from this. By removing the Pokémon, that is the effect it gives. I think this would work better if it wouldn't take place in a Pokémon World.

Fair enough.
Personally, I think "the world was beautiful but now it's fucked up" kind of described almost every Pokemon plot as well, but if it isn't your thing, it isn't your thing.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
I believe it sounds interesting (: Like HTS123.0 I wouldn't mind joining in and experiencing Pokémon in this way.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Sounds interesting :) It sounds like it bring more out of the human side in Pokemon without completely removing the pokemon element itself. I'd like to join when it starts {:3} A thought did occur to me just now... are all pokemon spirits available? Like magikarp? Not that it would be bad, but did make me think of a character that others would disregard as more of a supporter but turns out to be one of the toughest guys/gals around {XD} I kinda ran my mouth there but anyway, great idea ^^

Last edited:
Years
Sounds interesting :) It sounds like it bring more out of the human side in Pokemon without completely removing the pokemon element itself. I'd like to join when it starts {:3} A thought did occur to me just now... are all pokemon spirits available? Like magikarp? Not that it would be bad, but did make me think of a character that others would disregard as more of a supporter but turns out to be one of the toughest guys/gals around {XD} I kinda ran my mouth there but anyway, great idea ^^

I'd probably limit you to mon with three stages at the beginning so everyone starts off on the same foot.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I'd probably limit you to mon with three stages at the beginning so everyone starts off on the same foot.

Yep, it would be better that way {:3}. The power of having the ability to use the strength of the legendary pokemon spirits if they would deem someone worthy would probably happen far in the RP when conditions have been met, and having the knights start with three stage spirits would allow the knights to grow in power more closely {:3}.

Also, to support the three stage spirit starter clause would be that some pokemon with no evolutions could either become a bit hard to play as when "converted" to spirit form and merged with their knight or in some way become too powerful.

An example of the former would be Wobuffet. Well, maybe since the knight would gain the spirit's ability and would still be able to act normally otherwise, the knight in question won't be that handicapped if he/ she managed to play his/her cards right {XD}.

For the latter, Smeargle fits the description. Merging with Smeargle, the knight may end up dealing less damage depending on the opponent or may become like
this guy in terms of versatility {D:}.

Too many hypothesis o_O{XD}

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
It seems intriguing enough to give a chance. I'd be willing to put up a SU if you go through with it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Gotta say that this sounded interesting, but it seems there hasn't been activity.

Back