• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how long does it take you to finish a pokemon game?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I usually clear the main story in less than 24 hours of playtime across a week or so (assuming I don't do any Shiny-hunting until the post-game).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
It generally takes me a week to beat the main story, since I have a lot of free time by getting a lot done academically.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I think for me it depends on how long the main story is and how long it takes me to get through it.

Years
Depends on how much time I have to play it or motivation If I'm in the mood then can clear it quite fast but if I'm not the can take quite while pokemon ultra moon took me about a year purely because I found it hard to get motivated to play it, I do usually have a couple of pokemon games going at the same time to switch it up every now and then

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
It can take me a few days to a couple weeks depending on how strong my Pokemon are, really. The longest it took me to beat a Pokemon game was maybe three weeks. This is not factoring in times when I stopped playing like I did with my first run in Pokemon Pearl which took me over a year since I stopped playing it before I beat it and only went back to it by chance.

Years
for me personally, while it largely depends on the game in particular and how invested i am and the game's actual pacing, it could take me anywhere from a few days to a week to even a couple of months. it took me like ~5 or 6 months or so to beat USUM because life reasons and i eventually lost interest and then i regained that interest (at least, enough of it to finish the game).

Years
It all depends on how into the game I am. If I'm enjoying the story, it might take me a month or two to finish the game, since I try and drag it out a little bit so that I get the most out of the game. If I never really get into it though, I find I drop it for a while due to disinterest, and come back to it later on.

Or in the case of LGPE, I get 3 gyms in, and just kinda don't finish it, since it didn't seperate itself enough from the originals/first remakes for me to want to keep playing. Originally wanted to power through and finish it up before SwSh came out, but I'm about 110% sure that's not gonna happen.

pkmin3033

Between 15 and 25 hours of playtime spread across two or three weeks, usually. I tend to take my time...I've not been as excited for Pokemon games in recent years, and I usually have something else I'm playing as well. They're more breaks between my game of choice now than they are the main thing I'm playing. Although LGPE I finished in about a week in just under 30 hours, because I didn't have anything else to do at the time and they were pretty fast games. Much of that time was spent completing my dex.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
The longest it took me was three hundred and seventy two hours, excluding the post game. It was Pokemon Pearl. I had no clue, I was so inspired by the anime, that I did not know that I had to use Waterfall at the victory road's entrance. I thought the more I battle wild Pokemon, the invisible judges would send me to the "Palace" I saw through the telescope. Yeah.

Now, it takes me not more than 25 hours to beat a game.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
I can never play these games for long periods of times, so usually over a month or two.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i play so fucking slowly lmfao i'm usually at like 50 hours by the time i beat the champion...it's ridiculous

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
In recent years, I've prolonged the main game for as long as possible. It usually takes 100-200 hours before I beat the E4, as I tend to get sidetracked breeding, training up teams, etc. before I beat the main game. I think the longest time to first round E4 completion was 323 hours for LeafGreen.

In terms of days/weeks/months, Diamond was one of the fastest, and I think that was three months or so (I got really caught up in online trading to the point that I didn't finish the rest of the game for a while, though). Red might have been faster, but I don't remember. Gold took about five months, but I actually got stuck on puzzles back then. X might have been faster, but I don't remember (I would have to check the dates of when I caught the legendaries and such). Some games have taken years, but that's mainly because I intentionally avoid beating them because historically, I haven't liked the feeling of things being over. (That applies to other games too, though; I finally got all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 a couple of weeks ago, after owning the game for over twenty years.)

Challenge runs tend to be a lot faster, probably more along the lines of 20-30 hours over a month or two. Occasionally I'll blast through them in a few days, but lately, these mostly consist of playing older games on my 3DS to help me fall asleep, so I don't put in that much time per day.

I'm debating speeding things up this time, though. It occurred to me that I have less time for gaming than I did as a kid, and more disposable income for buying games, so there's no reason to force myself to avoid beating a gym leader because I already beat one this week and I need to make the game last longer. But it's been years since I just blasted through the game, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to adjust back or not.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
1.5 day usually for the main and post game.
I love flying through everything.
I leave trading/ Pokedex completing/ breeding etc. all for post game.

Last edited:
Years
I don't have the numbers but I'm such a Slowpoke, I like to see everything and speak to everyone. The only time I've rushed in a video game was because the final dungeon was really dragging things longer than necessary.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
It usually takes me under a week, roughly 20-35 hours or so. That goes for the initial playthrough and subsequent replays since I save a lot for postgame.

Years
I'm inbetween! I love exploring areas and unlocking whatever I can, but at the same time it's always incredibly fun going through the story and seeing all the new areas. So I try not to blaze through the game too fast, but usually do so (while still doing a lot of exploring) since it's addicting and I play all day.

Been taking longer for SwSh though! Still a little bit past the first gym.

Back