• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It was stickied, so I assume that I did a good job on it. xD;

LJ roleplaying can work in several ways. Usually, there is a first person side and a third person side to LJ roleplaying. The first person side would be when someone posts through a 'communicator' and the characters reply to eachother like they're simply chatting. Another way to think about it is if they're play script roleplaying, but without the actions. However, sometimes people will make 'action posts' in which it would technically be script playing (though instead of going "Name: blah blah" the name part is simply you posting the character's journal account that you create for them).

Then there are logs, which is pretty much like normal roleplaying in third person. If I weren't go lazy, I could go and get examples. xD; I might sound confusing, but it's really easy when you get the hang of it. The nice part about it is the whole icon side of roleplaying, in which you use the icons as a emotion set, and you choose the icon that most best matches how they're feeling at the time.

Sounds interesting. Might be worth checking out for those who think forum style RPing isn't their thing! (hopefully they'll still stay here too though ^^ )

baseballa34657

Roleplaying Assasin
Years
Um I was just wondering if there is anything that causes you (Fellow RP'ers) to not join a RP. Not a plot exactly, but starter choices, mechanics, etc. ?

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
Years
Um I was just wondering if there is anything that causes you (Fellow RP'ers) to not join a RP. Not a plot exactly, but starter choices, mechanics, etc. ?

Is your RP not lifting off the ground? Hmm...to be honest, things that wouldn't let me join an RP (except for plot) would be grammar mistakes, although I can overlook them if the RP had a good plot. Starters help as well, or if the starter I like is already taken. Other than that, I'm not really quite that sure. XD Sorry if I couldn't be of any help.

baseballa34657

Roleplaying Assasin
Years
Is your RP not lifting off the ground? Hmm...to be honest, things that wouldn't let me join an RP (except for plot) would be grammar mistakes, although I can overlook them if the RP had a good plot. Starters help as well, or if the starter I like is already taken. Other than that, I'm not really quite that sure. XD Sorry if I couldn't be of any help.

Oh I actually was just curious. xD. Although I do plan on making my first RP (Eeh Gasp!) sometime soon. I'll probably post the plot on here first for critiques.

EDIT: I feel like such a noob. D:

baseballa34657

Roleplaying Assasin
Years
I know I don't deserve to be here *looks around, cautiously*

But well. Michaela's right, but there's one more thing. The roleplayers that have joined the RP.

Well personally the things that draw me away from a RP is poor grammar (I'm not that good with it either, but sometimes it's just HORRIBLE from some people), Short plot, when the RP master accepts people that have SU's with a sentence in each description (I.E. History, Personality, Etc.), and sometimes certain RP'ers.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
What gets me to not participate in an rp...

Well, firstly I look for ones that aren't TOO complicated that I'll be looking over the plot&setting several times between posts. I like rps that you 'read once and it's lodged into your brain'

Mostly, I'm with plot & spelling. I absolutely HATE it when people use txt tlk 2 speak. Just, no. The plot has to be well-written and informative. A good length, but not too long that I feel threatened to read it all.

Also, I'm really surprised with myself that I posted up "Years of Lies" before "Artificial Humans"...Hm. I'll post it up by....Tuesday? Wednesday? Keep your fingers crossed, and hope it turns out well!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Grammar isn't everything, but spelling can be. I sometimes (pretty often) make grammar mistakes, since English isn't my first language and some things I actually don't know how to say correctly in English. Expressions, order of some words... etc.

The RPers joining isn't so much why I would or wouldn't join an RP. The OP is quite important though, since it sets the overall standard and feeling for the whole RP. Or it should do.

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
Years
Nobody has signed up to my RP and I dont know why...... I mean the plot's alright (I think) The rules are reasonable, I think the sign ups ok aswell, and I just checked and my grammar is also fine, could somebody please look at it and say how I could improve? Please it would mean alot.

The link to it is at the bottom of my signature.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Nobody has signed up to my RP and I dont know why...... I mean the plot's alright (I think) The rules are reasonable, I think the sign ups ok aswell, and I just checked and my grammar is also fine, could somebody please look at it and say how I could improve? Please it would mean alot.

The link to it is at the bottom of my signature.

It may be that it seems too simple and too complicated at the same time, in a way. The gameplay seems simple enough; you play a person on the team trying to stop Team Chaos from making the hole come closer, right? Maybe you should describe more about the team in the plot, to make it seem interesting to play as.

But the world seems a bit messy. So you won't be playing in Sinnoh, but in Johto? What does Johto look these days then? You could describe how this hole is affecting the other countries.

Also, you should press "Enter" between paragraphs in the plot, to make the Opening Post look less cluttered. And you shouldn't bold all the text in the rules and onwards. Try to only bold headers or important parts/single words.

Now, I'm not bashing this RP, I did accept it after all since it fills the needs of an RP ^^ But the OP could look a little neater.

Years

Well, if I'm not the first to sign-up, I usually read the past posts of other Rpers to see if their grammar and spelling is good cos I just dislike RPing with people who constantly have many obvious errors. Starter choices too, I go with cute and moderately strong Pokemon. I don't like doing RPs with the norm like: Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Charmander; Mudkip, Torchic, Treecko etc but it's not a itching problem for me as long as the plot is perfect.

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
Years
I will get to work immediately!

It may be that it seems too simple and too complicated at the same time, in a way. The gameplay seems simple enough; you play a person on the team trying to stop Team Chaos from making the hole come closer, right? Maybe you should describe more about the team in the plot, to make it seem interesting to play as.

But the world seems a bit messy. So you won't be playing in Sinnoh, but in Johto? What does Johto look these days then? You could describe how this hole is affecting the other countries.

Also, you should press "Enter" between paragraphs in the plot, to make the Opening Post look less cluttered. And you shouldn't bold all the text in the rules and onwards. Try to only bold headers or important parts/single words.

Now, I'm not bashing this RP, I did accept it after all since it fills the needs of an RP ^^ But the OP could look a little neater.

Thx Ill get to work on that right away ;) this is my first RP (as you probably know being the moderater and all) so Im finding it a little difficult
but I'll try my best to work out the kinks you mentioned and hopefully I can get this thing up and running :P !

Edit: alright I finished tweaking it what do you think now?

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I don't like to join a RP with:

Spoiler:

So it seems most of it has to do with the plot...well, there are other things, but if I try to state them, I think i'll become a little too redundant or something.

Hmm...i'll have to take all of the things everyone has stated into mind when I create my next RP. I think my next RP will just be a simple journey RP, set in Unova. Of course, it will go to other regions eventually, and it might even lead to my remake of LIL - The Lost Islands League. That RP was...somewhat successful, for a little while. Then some people became inactive and I lost where I was going with the plot. I think I posted it too soon. I'll try not to rush my next RP.

Well, while i'm on the topic of my LIL remake:

Spoiler:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
I never join RPs that have GMs that accept... an SU like this:

Name:David Scott
Personality: Likes people sometimes, not always, good with pokemon, is angry but nice when he's not.
Appearance: Blue hair, Blue Eyes, Blue Shirt, Average face, Average height, Black jeans.
History: Regular
RP sample: i think that my sine ups good enuf for that you dosnet haf too see my roll plaeing sampul.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I never join RPs that have GMs that accept... an SU like this:

Name:David Scott
Personality: Likes people sometimes, not always, good with pokemon, is angry but nice when he's not.
Appearance: Blue hair, Blue Eyes, Blue Shirt, Average face, Average height, Black jeans.
History: Regular
RP sample: i think that my sine ups good enuf for that you dosnet haf too see my roll plaeing sampul.
^ this.

And Aura Rift, whoa, it looks a lot better :) Check this RP out, guys, if you're looking for something new to play.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Does it seem like the, Has no human friends/doesn't get along with humans, and instead is just really good with pokemon, Character is now a cliche. Am I the only one who thinks that?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Does it seem like the, Has no human friends/doesn't get along with humans, and instead is just really good with pokemon, Character is now a cliche. Am I the only one who thinks that?

Hm, well... I just made a character that has stopped caring about human friends and only have a pokémon friend. I don't know if that's very cliché, actually. People's opinions may differ there, of course ^^

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It's pretty difficult to make a completely original character, after all. Sometimes you simply want to play a copy of Ash or Shinji ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back