• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Let's discuss the new Pokémon: Iwanko and Nekkoala

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Someone suggested that Iwanko is based on a Hawaiian species of dog.

If anyone is cares, I broke down a possible origin of the name Iwanko. It's all Japanese words. Iwa means rock. Wan is the sound dogs make irc, and 'ko' is a naming suffix for child. So Rockwoofchild xD.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I like Nekkoala. It has a nice design, and a very interesting ability. If it gets a cool evolution, I'll consider it for my team.

I'm not so fond of Iwanko, because I don't like dogs. I'll only catch one if it gets an evolution as cool as Arcanine, Houndoom, Manectric, or Lucario, and doesn't require a ridiculous evolution method. Or if it can learn a lot of HM's.

blue

gucci
Years
Now that I did not expect, not from Corocoro anyway. I really like these two pokemon though! I was only saying the other day how I'd love to see a Koala Bear Pokemon. 8)

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I like both of those new Pokemon. If I have Iwanko in my team, I think I'll nickname it Kyle.
Kyle.png

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Well, here's hoping these Pokémon are real... Nekkoala actually looks really great and it's literally the FIRST Pokémon based off of an Australian animal and it looks like it will be going straight on my team when I find a male one.

Iwanka looks similar to Poochyena with the way it's mouth is. I can't wait to encounter this.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I like Nekkoala, although I'll have to see it's evolution before I consider it team worthy.

Not crazy about Iwanko, it's another dog Pokemon and really there are other dog Pokemon like Growlithe or even Furfrou I'd sooner use on my team if given the choice. (I've never used either of them before)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, here's hoping these Pokémon are real... Nekkoala actually looks really great and it's literally the FIRST Pokémon based off of an Australian animal and it looks like it will be going straight on my team when I find a male one.

Iwanka looks similar to Poochyena with the way it's mouth is. I can't wait to encounter this.

Kangaskhan is Australian too. So not quite the first! Kangaroo. :) also dw they are real, they're not 'leaks' they're from corocoro.

Years
Now that I did not expect, not from Corocoro anyway. I really like these two pokemon though! I was only saying the other day how I'd love to see a Koala Bear Pokemon. 8)

I understand you there, because I often brought up having a koala Pokemon on a lot of those next-generation wishlists for new Pokemon. Nice to see that Game Freak had answered that prayer, now I hope we get a dolphin and a peacock as well because I think they would look nice to see in this generation.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
Also, according to Serebii, CoroCoro hints that Iwanko (the dog) and the starters share some kind of relationship.

"CoroCoro hints that Rowlet, Litten, Popplio and Iwanko all hide a secret"

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Someone suggested that Iwanko is based on a Hawaiian species of dog.

If anyone is cares, I broke down a possible origin of the name Iwanko. It's all Japanese words. Iwa means rock. Wan is the sound dogs make irc, and 'ko' is a naming suffix for child. So Rockwoofchild xD.
So Iwanko is probably going to be a Rock/Normal type :3 that's pretty cool but it'll have a 4x weakness against Fighting types

Years
So Iwanko is probably going to be a Rock/Normal type :3 that's pretty cool but it'll have a 4x weakness against Fighting types

Iwanko is pure Rock-type so only 2x weakness to Fighting, as well as 2x weakness to Steel, Grass and Water.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
Also, according to Serebii, CoroCoro hints that Iwanko (the dog) and the starters share some kind of relationship.

"CoroCoro hints that Rowlet, Litten, Popplio and Iwanko all hide a secret"

To add on to what I said earlier, what if this is all a play on the alchemy theme?

Litten, Iwanko, Popplio, Rowlet

Fire, Earth, Water, Air

Heheh.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
Years
I really hope they're real! Iwanko is so cute, and I wanna keep it on my team 5ever.

Unless it's evo line is super weird, but I doubt.

Back