• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

NotDWaddler

You're goin' straight to Gensokyo, Jimbo.
Years
Chunks of this game are fine and the hack itself is well-made and polished. Fuck the Archer-Ariana combo battle in Cerulean Cave though. One after another, and with NO heals, whilst they're using Megas? Not exactly fair. Giovanni after them is easier in comparison.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I want to change the nature of my Florges in Pokémon center to gentle nature. But the gentle nature isn't available. Is that a bug or something...?
100% Intentional. There's absolutely no need for any Pokemon to have a Gentle/Lax nature. If you're running a defensive Pokemon, you would always lower an offensive statistic or Speed.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen May 8, 2022
Hey, it's the guy that requested an easier mode months ago. Just wanted to come in and say that i was pleasantly surprised that it actually happened ! I always had this hack in the back of my mind after i originally quit it around when 2.0 came out because i couldn't get past Erika's Mega-Venusaur without grinding pokemons from the ground up (Yes yes, i know, mad cuz bad and all that), so after i heard about this new version today, i gave it another try.

I'm playing on easy mode, set mode, without using items in battle and only using the first pokemon i come across per area (basically an hardcore nuzlocke but without it being a nuzlocke ?) . And honestly, i'm having a lot of fun. The boss battles still have interesting teams but they don't feel like an unbreakable wall anymore, i'm not pressured about if i'll get completely stuck on a battle because i have the wrong nature, the level caps don't even seem annoying anymore, on the contrary i like the implementation of them...

And the game seems much more "friendly" now if that makes sense ? The pewter city npc had his dialogue changed (One of my biggest surprises honestly, big props to you for this), i feel like i can actually build the team i want as long as i know what i'm doing.

So as a casual player that's bad at pokemon, thank you. Radical Red is now really growing on me, where i was dissapointed i couldn't really experience it "with training wheels" because of my lack of skill before, this easy mode being implemented completely changed my experience with the hack. And who knows, when i finish my first run, i might try the normal mode with monotypes, or maybe i'll stay on easy mode and try to nuzlocke on these settings.

So yeah, i just wanted you to know that i really appreciate that you listened to these kinds of propositions, and i do think it really improved the hack, at least for me. I'm bad at the game, but now i can try to be better by just climbing the stairs little by little, rather than try and climb up the elevator shaft.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
How can I get fletchling in this ? I looked at the pokemon location sheet and didnot found it there

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 28, 2022
can someone help me please and indicate to me lvl cap before each gym?
Also is starly a 1% encounter rate because i can't fine hiim near the route to the left of the first town
and thank you

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
can someone help me please and indicate to me lvl cap before each gym?
Also is starly a 1% encounter rate because i can't fine hiim near the route to the left of the first town
and thank you

For level caps read the faq

Years
  • Age 56
  • Seen Jun 17, 2023
Default mode beaten. Next is Hardcore mode.

The team used is a rain team with Pelipper as the centerpiece. I was a little worried I had no physical offense, but it wasn't a problem.
eEXmud5.png

Gengar @ Choice Specs/Focus Sash depending on fight
Gengar is a ghost type which is basically useful for switching into Close Combats (and Earthquakes with Levitate). It can be good with Gengarite, but I used Charizard for mega in pretty much all fights. Choice Specs makes for hard-hitting Shadow Balls and Sludge Waves on the switch-in. Chandelure is a better alternative though with higher special attack and very useful ghost/fire typing. Hypnosis is very good though.
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Dream Eater
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis

Zapdos @ Choice Specs/Assault Vest/Choice Scarf
Zapdos was was surprisingly useless in the Elite Four. It was brought along for the rain team, but electric wasn't that useful. It was good vs Lorelei though. Scarf is probably the best item for Zapdos. Maybe another defensive wall would have been better such as Walrein with Fur Coat or defensive Milotic.
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Thunder
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Chansey is basically cheating as it can switch into ghost types (though I didn't bring any moves to hit those with Chansey), set up Stealth Rocks and Toxic and tank special attackers indefinitely.
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Pelipper is the MVP of the team along Ludicolo. Sets up the crucial rain, awesome moveset with useable special attack and tanks physical hits very well. I'm not sure how I'm gonna beat hardcore mode without abusing weather haha.
Ability: Drizzle
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Protect
- Scald
- Roost/Ice Beam

Ludicolo @ Leftovers/Assault Vest
Ludicolo is the offensive MVP of the rain team. Extremely useful typing both offensively and defensively, beefy especially with Assault Vest and excellent movepool. Swift Swim even allows for Modest nature. Fake Out is mandatory for breaking Focus Sash and Multiscale.
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Icebeam
- Scald
- Fake Out

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Charizard-Mega-Y has huge upfront special power attacks and very good coverage. It brings even more weather control and counters some things the rain team doesn't handle well like steel types. Lorelei's rain team was destroyed by Charizard-Mega-Y together with Ludicolo and Pelipper.
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Honorable mentions:
Lanturn. Very good typing.
Tyranitar. Even more weather control. Beffy as fuck in sand + rock typing in Sandstorm + Assault Vest.
Excadrill. Physical sweeper when coupled with Tyranitar because of Sand Rush.
Slowbro. Slowbro is just the best Pokemon ever.
Scizor. Hits hard with priority Bullet Punch + Choice Band.
Noivern. Invaluable for farming ressources with Frisk + Thief (nuggets, mushrooms, heart scales and more).

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 2, 2021
MbF5rZG.png

53 in game hours total, first romhack ive beaten. default settings.
would have taken a lot less time if i knew what the hell i was doing but im pretty casual.
silph giovanni was my biggest roadblock i spent embarrassingly too much time trying to figure out how to beat him...
cool game but baby want binky

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 28, 2022
also i've been looking for starly the pokedex says left of Viridian City.in the grass but i've spent like 1.5 hrs n didn't see one
another question also: how can i set the game to normal not hardcore settings ? and thank you

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
also i've been looking for starly the pokedex says left of Viridian City.in the grass but i've spent like 1.5 hrs n didn't see one
another question also: how can i set the game to normal not hardcore settings ? and thank you

Starly isn't left of Viridian, it's in Viridian (extra grass patch in the town added for Nuzlockes) and in Route 1.
The question whether you want to enable Hardcore and other settings is at the beginning of the game, once you've chosen difficulty you can't change it unless you start a new playthrough.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
Radical Red Trouble

Hello all! Ive downloaded v2.3 radical red and been playing for about a month and I just finished lavender town tower got the poke flute and now whenever I walk into a building or I'm just walking for a while the whole game resets can't go into the pokemart can't go into the pokecenter I can go on the slip co. but then it will eventually just reset

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know how to fix it???

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
NGd2AQz.png

Just beat it about an hour ago. Was a good hack! Most challenging parts were surprisingly Falkner, the back to back fight in Cerulean Cave, and the final Brendan fight.

Dracozolt @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
Ability: Hustle
Bolt Beak
Dragon Claw
EQ
Draco Meteor

Really powerful and quite fast with that scarf. It's alright bulk was also hugely important in some instances

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Iron Barbs
Power Whip
Toxic
Body Press
Stealth Rock

Overall run MVP, since getting it in the Pewter egg. Super bulky, iron barbs always useful, stealth rocks always useful. Just so amazing

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Pressure
Ice Beam
Hex
Toxic
Will-O-Wisp

So bulky, which was useful for setting up either a burn or toxic, whichever I needed more

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Ability: Battle Bond
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Surf
Water Shuriken

The power and speed on this lad were essential to a lot of fights when I got it. Especially having a priority move

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Mild Nature
Ability: Speed Boost
Brave Bird
Flamethrower
Scorching Sand
Close Combat

Actually probably the least useful member of the final team. Despite barely having worse bulk than Dracozolt, it felt much worse. Speed boost is good yeah, and having strong power on its attacks was nice, but I dunno

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Lonely Nature
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Ice Punch
EQ
Close Combat
Outrage

My earliest catch here, yet the last one to join the A team. I only remembered late that it was given Gorilla Tactics as a hidden ability, which would've made it a lot stronger earlier, but oh well. King of the E4, just tearing through teams with huge power and speed

Honorable mentions, aka pokemon I made use of throughout the journey but weren't in the final team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
So starly is available only in nuzlock mod?

There's no such thing as Nuzlocke exclusive mons. Starly is one of the first Pokémon available in the game, as I said (and as the RR documents say) there are wild Starly in Route 1 and in Viridian City.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 13, 2023
As my first ROM hack ever, I have to admit, I had no idea what I was getting myself into... Oh boy...

Besides taking a beating from Falkner right at the beggining, I was doing fairly well, until Misty made me get hardstuck for a LONG time, that is. From then on, I had trouble only on certain bosses (mostly for being underleveled, really) like the back-to-back Archer-Ariana battle.

And then there's my final "team".
vaGTj2P.png

"Team" as in: Contrary Shuckle single-handedly carrying the whole thing on his back.

No joke, the others barely did anything, specially against Bruno (just look at all those x4 weakness to fighting). But for Shuckle? No problemo. He slowly munched all of them like it was breakfast.

Truth is, I actually wanted to build a pure bulky sand team; but the damn Smooth Rock was locked behind a low % on Hippowdon, which was locked behind a low % encounter rate, which was locked behind Safari Zone, where we can't even use DexNav on... >.>

Then I gave up... <.<

Mega Tyranitar it was.

But well, I really enjoyed the hack. How it has a pretty vast Pokédex, even if it makes the game feel a bit squished in the end, with so many pokémon for so little tall grass. The extra Team Rocket event was very well done as well in my opinion, considering that I'm pretty skeptical with fan-made scripts. Great job.

Also, I need to talk about the rebalancing you did with some mons in this game.

Thank you! Castform being, by far, the one I enjoyed the most. Turning its clunky mechanic into something that actually works, made me smile✨. Sadly, the whole derp design is still there to haunt me on my sleep.

Said that, with me trying out a lot of mons, I just couldn't make some of them work, no matter how hard I tried. Most notably Zoroark, all the Eevolutions barring Vaporeon, Mega Butterfree, Lurantis (Close Combat would be too much?), and Falinks. Is there something I'm missing? I wonder.

Thank you for reading.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
"Team" as in: Contrary Shuckle single-handedly carrying the whole thing on his back.

No joke, the others barely did anything, specially against Bruno (just look at all those x4 weakness to fighting). But for Shuckle? No problemo. He slowly munched all of them like it was breakfast.

Yeah, I feel you, having a pure sand team with three Rock types myself was tricky with pretty much everything in the late game having Close Combat, Superpower or even Aura Sphere coverage. Thankfully my team had a Ghost, but it wasn't easy :)

And it's nice to be able to use mons that are usually ignored for sucking in the vanilla games, but do actually have a greater purpose in this hack. I found myself occassionaly destroying entire teams with a Cacturne, a Pokémon with so lame typing and stat spread that I could never take seriously in the official games.

Back