• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Physical Cart Help

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 21, 2021
Going to do a rom hack project with friends this winter. Was wondering if there would be a way to make a custom cartridge with our hack on it when its finished? Figured it would be a nice little thing to get the them when the project is finished but idk how saving, rtc, rom size, trading, etc would interact with physical GBA cartridges...

Does anyone have any information on physical carts that they can share?

Asith

Uwao
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
For details on physical carts, you'd probably be better off asking on a forum more related to to that stuff. I'm sure there are people on here who know too, but not too many people focus on that. Regardless, you want to put it on a custom cartridge, go for it. I'm not personally sure how rtc would function on that, and trading between two copies of the same rom should probably work, but trading capability is often ignored when making rom hacks. As for rom size, just make sure your rom isn't above 32 mb - that's the limit real gba hardware can read (without extra steps). I also recommend you test on an emulator like mGBA with the setting "vba bug compatibility" turned off, so it is accurate to the real gba. Visual boy advance isn't, and there's a fair chance that something that works fine in vba would crash on a real gba.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 21, 2021
Thanks, I'll give other threads a shot. We mostly play on emulator anyways but I figured it would still be something nice to have :P

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Going to do a rom hack project with friends this winter. Was wondering if there would be a way to make a custom cartridge with our hack on it when its finished? Figured it would be a nice little thing to get the them when the project is finished but idk how saving, rtc, rom size, trading, etc would interact with physical GBA cartridges...

Does anyone have any information on physical carts that they can share?

If you just want to play the game on real hardware, get a flash cart like an everdrive or ezflash.
If you want a cart that only contains your game, your best bet would probably be to get one of these (if they ever become available again).

Back