• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How well would figures or plushies based off of the human characters sell?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
It's rare when we get affordable figures or plushies of the human characters from the Pokémon series, there exists Ash figures and a few figures of in-game protagonists and Lillie, but they're expensive as poison (especially the latter two) and not everyone is interested in Ash, they're probably more interested in the rivals or something.

I know of a group that used to make figures based on media like The Simpsons, Shrek and Star Wars, the figures were actually pretty well made and quite detailed for a $2 figure, the figures used to come out in sets of eight usually within the span of a few weeks, however, with protagonists, rivals, professors, villains and various other characters, I think the figure sets would have to be extended. If anyone is Australian, then I'm sure you'll remember The Simpsons figurines that were sold for $2 at Coles, Target, Kmart and Bi-Lo in 2005, 2006 and 2009, the company who made those figures is the one I am thinking about.

Personally, I think figures or plushies based on the human characters from the games and anime would sell pretty well, even if they're sold at the usual price of a figure or plushie.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I agree they would sell well enough, if they were made well, especially. Like, actual collectable figures, and not iffy looking toys for toddlers. I own some Pokemon anime figures that came out in 1999. but I haven't seen many decent ones since, and even those were toys and not very carefully made.

Years
The thing with Pokemon merch is that a lot of it is based on the anime, which is why whenever you see trainers being featured, it's usually Ash, his companions, Team Rocket, and a select few other recurring characters.

The reality is though, that Pokemon is still a franchise directed towards children, so the chances of seeing certain characters in mainstream lines probably won't happen any time soon. I mean, I would definitely be on board if a company like Jakks Pacific or TOMY started producing a line featuring Pokemon trainers, but I just don't think they would see it as a worthwhile investment. Figma, Nendoroids, and the ARTFX J series are a step in the right direction for trainer/Pokemon figures, so maybe once they become a bit more mainstream, they'll be more affordable and accessible to more people.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I have an Ash Plush and it's actually pretty cute! There's also these kanto trio plushes that have recently come out so it's pretty much what Brendino had said.

Other than the really nice, more expensive, figurines I don't think we'll really be seeing cheaper ones for the human characters very often. Every generation of Ash would normally get a cheaper figurine that you can buy at the toy store but that's all I pretty much remember from when I was more into getting more Ash merchandise. Like what was said before the appeal of Pokemon is the monsters and less the trainers so that's what the majority of merchandise will always be.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Perhaps it depends from the human character in question :
Ash-es, travelling fellows and the JJM TRio are already a thing apparently,
and the game player characters would probably also do fairly well
(*cough* games' Red *cough*) and maybe also champions...
On the other hand, it would be very unlikely to see merchandise of minor appearances
or side-game characters (for instance, sadly few would be interested in the Go-Rock
Quads or top Ranger Kellyn...). Hm... I wounder what happened if there were Joey and Ben
plushies? You know, top percentage rattata raticate and shorts, comfy and easy to wear...
Maybe Mystery Dungeon characters, being pokémon with accessories would somehow work...
(mentor chatot <3)
images

Years
It's rare when we get affordable figures or plushies of the human characters from the Pokémon series, there exists Ash figures and a few figures of in-game protagonists and Lillie, but they're expensive as poison (especially the latter two) and not everyone is interested in Ash, they're probably more interested in the rivals or something.

I know of a group that used to make figures based on media like The Simpsons, Shrek and Star Wars, the figures were actually pretty well made and quite detailed for a $2 figure, the figures used to come out in sets of eight usually within the span of a few weeks, however, with protagonists, rivals, professors, villains and various other characters, I think the figure sets would have to be extended. If anyone is Australian, then I'm sure you'll remember The Simpsons figurines that were sold for $2 at Coles, Target, Kmart and Bi-Lo in 2005, 2006 and 2009, the company who made those figures is the one I am thinking about.

Personally, I think figures or plushies based on the human characters from the games and anime would sell pretty well, even if they're sold at the usual price of a figure or plushie.

Because of the nature of the figure market in Japan as well as how the Pokemon fanbase internationally, I don't think we'll see any figures of trainers for less than $20 anytime soon. As others have said, the Pokemon are the far bigger selling point of the franchise, and on top of that, people into the franchise enough to get a figure of a trainer are probably fine shelling out even $40+ for a figure.

The kids who would be the target demographic of those super cheap toys are probably not actually interested in any of the trainers. They'd rather be the trainer themselves.

As for plushes, most plush collectors would probably prefer more Pokemon over a trainer plush, and any character with a skirt is probably a no-go for a plush in the west.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
THIS IS THE THREAD FOR ME.

If there were figures and plushies of Korrina, my favorite gym leader, expect me to buy them all :P

....I duno if anyone else would care so much though. Oh well~

Last edited:
Back