• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC: Moving Forward

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
You make it sound like the new team is just doing this to appease while the status quo will remain, as if this were some big conglomerate business company.

You mean that's not what's happening? I mean I-Like-Shiny-Pichu has a point. But what do I know? It isn't like countless companies and corporations haven't done something similar countless times for the simple fact that it is easier to maintain status quo than to actually effect any change to the system.

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
What I'm amazed at is that everyone has assumed I have an issue with the fact the statement exists or the contents of it. Of course it exists, and I wouldn't expect it to contain anything else. What I have an issue with is everyone that is running back like lost puppies with this "Thank goodness that's sorted" when action has yet to happen. I'm not saying it wont happen, I'm saying wait until things do happen before you start praising people. Maybe that's just the cynic in me. I have an issue with the person who felt the need to cause this drama in the first place too, but that's another matter entirely.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
All I have to say to some of these concerns, as someone who was actually there at the time, is that it was a very emotional and stressful time for us when we heard about this; almost everyone wanted to quit because of how bad it was.

I know, from the outside, it may seem a bit off, yes. At the end of the day however, people like myself decided to return because they genuinely love these forums, and wanted to contribute to get PC to a bright future. And from what I've seen, they're working hard. All I can say is to be patient; the hard work will pay off soon; it's a slow process, but these things take tome.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
What I'm amazed at is that everyone has assumed I have an issue with the fact the statement exists or the contents of it. Of course it exists, and I wouldn't expect it to contain anything else. What I have an issue with is everyone that is running back like lost puppies with this "Thank goodness that's sorted" when action has yet to happen. I'm not saying it wont happen, I'm saying wait until things do happen before you start praising people. Maybe that's just the cynic in me. I have an issue with the person who felt the need to cause this drama in the first place too, but that's another matter entirely.
I'm curious - what do you see as an ideal solution?

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
It's totally understandable for people to doubt Steve will fully be removed from PC. The analogy to political promises is very apt in this situation. For a lot of staff members, including myself, saying "Steve will be ousted" is like a magic word. Call me naive, I consider myself hopeful. I love this community and am so proud of what I've done to improve it. Following the news, Steve's presence was unacceptable to me, and I refused to dedicate time to improving the community for him.

That said -- and I think I speak for a lot of returning staff members here -- if there's any indication that Steve does not intend to leave, I'm out. I'm helping rebuild right now with the expectation that Steve will be completely and fully removed.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
well i'm a bit late to this as usual. i apologize. i'm..not really sure what to say to this, but.. i just want to say i'm glad the situation is being handled and.. uhm. yeah. i just hope we can move forward from this, even if it takes a while.

i'm sorry if i did not word this correctly.. i've always been bad at expressing my feelings and whatnot ^^;

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
I'm curious - what do you see as an ideal solution?

I don't have a solution honestly, I'm not active enough here for it to affect me. I'm sure you guys will make the right choices, I'm solely urging people to wait until these choices have been fully made and actioned to pass judgement either way.

I find it sad that this situation happened, especially in the way it did. Based on my limited knowledge from what ex-staff who I'm close friends with have told me, the entire thing should never have happened. My viewpoint comes a lot from the fact I'm in the UK (laws are different here). But I mostly just feel bad for everybody involved, on both sides.

I think my words have been misconstrued based on how I phrased things (and the banner in my sig), but I really do wish everyone the best.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
If I'm being honest, even beyond the recent scandal I still have a problem with the current advertisement styles. Using this site feels like I have adware installed. I could put up with it for the people here, but after the hemorrhaging of users I don't think I even want to continue. It's impossible to even read this announcement with a dark theme since random words are converted into popup ad links that are too dark to even read.

This is something that we are actively discussing and are hoping to come to a conclusion since they are pretty invasive and outright hideous.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
My top suggestion right now is to clean up the splash pages that were vandalized with memes on the way out the door.
I might be missing something, but I checked every forum, and only one was really "vandalized" in any way. The others that aren't normal are basic good-byes. That said, since only staff can edit splashes and most forums are staff-less, it will take some time to clean up any splashes. And whatever staff that is on board--the admins and current moderators--most likely have other important issues to take care of first.

Since I'm posting in this thread, I might as well say that I have some trust in our current staff administrators. I've worked with all of them on PC staff to some degree, and I'm sure that they are capable of rebuilding the forums from this mess. They're the ones that have shown their dedication to these forums. They're the ones that I'm sure have the best interest of PC at their hearts, and I wish them the best with everything.

Guest123_x1

I will say, after lurking here for the past few days and reading through these posts, I'm starting to feel a bit better about the future here. I apologize if I misinterpreted anything that had been happening since the controversy broke out.

I will say the current Staff Admin team has their work cut out for them, but I'm confident that the necessary steps are being taken to get the ownership transferred out of Steve to the best that they may legally accomplish. Major transitions of any kind generally don't happen overnight, and this one is no exception.

As for the Escape Rope, I am on that Discord server, but I only made a few posts there last Friday, and am essentially only there to see what's been going on. I bear no ill will towards either PC or ER-in fact, I believe that the Escape Rope founders set up that Discord and planned a new forum out of a very legitimate concern of Steve not resigning. While I am looking forward to seeing what the planned Escape Rope forum has to offer, I am at the same time looking forward to seeing what PC has in store for its future, including whatever steps it will take besides what has already been mentioned here to recover from this fiasco, and hopefully remain a viable Pokémon fan outlet for years to come.

Was it appropriate for people to get upset upon what was revealed of Steve? I would say so. Was it appropriate for people to vandalize this place and make spam posts in retaliation? Of course not. Was it necessary to create a spin-off Discord server (Escape Rope) and forum as a contingency in case Steve's ownership of this place ends up not being relinquished? Possibly. The fallout of what happened last week is still occurring (even though it appears the worst is over, at least for now), and to me, it gave off vibes of a major corporate scandal, which often lasts for months or even years depending on how big the scandal is. But, once ownership of this place is officially out of Steve's hands, we as a community, along with the staff that decided to remain on during this period of transition, will have a chance to recuperate and eventually see an even better PC at some point in the future.

Years
Man, some of the vitriol in this thread really disappoints me. Is this really what our community is at the heart of it all? I really hope not.

I've spent nearly thirteen years in this place. When I was a kid, when I came back from school, I couldn't wait to log on PC. It was because I finally found a place on the internet where I could talk about my favourite thing: Pokemon. Not only that, I could do what I struggled to do in real life: finally make friends. It's this very thing that has kept me tied to this place ever since I was a kid. I've met so many amazing people, so many friends that are sadly no longer part of this community to pursue better things ... and all of them have changed my life for the better.

Let this be absolutely clear -- I initially left because I was heartbroken and saddened at the news, saddened because I felt the whole world was collapsing around me and I couldn't stand and bear to watch. As someone who has significant attachments to this forum, it was painful. I couldn't bear to open the tab and see all the spammy posts everywhere and see this place going down to the endless abyss. I can't stand it, so I decided not to, for the sake of my own sanity. My internet home was being destroyed and all I could do is watch. I decided I was done with it all and like band-aid on a wound, I decided rather than peeling it off slowly and feeling the excruciating pain, that I just rip it off and get it over with.

It really greatly saddens me to see that people from both sides sling mud at each other for their decisions when in reality that isn't necessary at all, because that isn't how PokeCommunity has survived to this day. Yeah, I get it; this forum will always have its drama and this is really another tally in its books at the end of the day. But at the same time, the people who have stayed strongly believe that there is something worth fighting for, and I admire that in them. The people who have stayed realize that even though PC will likely never be the same again, they're willing to pick up the pieces and try to rebuild anyway and that's something to admire in and of itself.

With all due respect, I don't expect those who have no attachments to this place to really fathom the magnitude of how it affects others, but I do humbly request that if the recent events have not affected you in any way due to your disconnect from PC, then I ask of you not to be absolutely petty in this thread and be horrendously belittling towards those that have put years of time and effort here. Let's not forget that people who have put time and effort to make memories here didn't have to do so -- especially the staff. At any point, all of them could just quit and shut this place down, and then what? The very forum that many people called their internet home for years would be lost to time itself.

That said, I completely understand the decisions from both sides and why hard decisions had to be made (the deletion of accounts, posts, etc). People had to weigh difficult choices in case the worst were to happen, and I think that's completely fair of them to do. Excessive perhaps, but it's not unwarranted by any means. Nor do I think we should shame those who have returned, because all that means is that we still have people who are determined to put the time and energy and effort to help those who have stayed. It means that those who have stayed no longer have to feel guilty for doing so, because all of us have something in common: we love this damn forum and we'll do everything in our power to rebuild as much of it as we absolutely can.

This very passion from the staff, the determination to rebuild despite an increasingly uphill battle to do so, and the fact that even some users are willing to give PC a second chance... is what makes PokeCommunity the amazing forum that it is for 15 years. Let's not ruin that, guys.

Last edited:
Years
Man, the first time I venture out of The Roundtable D&D (holy **** I had no idea it got its name changed back what the hellllll?????) in a long time and this is what I find?

I don't have any input into the current situation, because I am not qualified/informed enough to comment. All I have to comment on is my own experience of Pokecommunity, and by extension, what the forum means to those who have come to cherish it to whatever extent.

What I take away from all the time spent here, is a lot of love. What I take away is the friendships and memories and all those good feelings. I think as long as PC is able to facilitate that, it has a purpose to continue. I think that is what ultimately what most people end up remembering and valuing from their time at PC, looking back after years have passed, not this or that drama or conflict.

When I say this, I don't mean to diminish the events that have occured - please forgive me if my ignorance betrays itself. Rather, I simply want to comment on why we have come here and why we have stayed - over a decade for some people. The core value of PC - the community - is something that I hope will be transcendent beyond all the trials and challenges it faces.

That's all I really have to say.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Man, some of the vitriol in this thread really disappoints me. Is this really what our community is at the heart of it all? I really hope not.

While I totally get where you're coming from, having been apart of the forums for so long and having such an attachment, for when an issue arises you feel as though things are going badly and you want to shut it out so you do what you think is best, which is to leave and not see it.

My only criticism with your reply is instead of focusing solely on the points of why it happened, you've gone and targeted people for their reactions, which is a little bit hypocritical in many ways. Your post looks like a real victim card one and while I offer up some sympathy given what has happened, the sugar coated rant about the community afterwards kind of shrivels it up.

While I disagree with people spamming random crap and memes everywhere, although I would probably assume given this is the internet, a lot of people are doing it not because of their distaste for the situation but because it's "funny" and "trolling". You have to understand why people are lashing out as they're, there really is no morale high ground on a forum such as this when it comes to an issue like this.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

The only one I truly feel sorry for is Steve. Had he lived in Europe, none of this would have happened.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not but at any rate, this thread is not about Steve or what he has done. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the future of PC and how to move forward after all of the recent turmoil. Regardless of the situation surrounding him, there were clearly issues that needed to be addressed and I think so far everyone is doing a good job handling them. There is still a long ways to go but I think things have launched really well so far. PC is a very strong community and it's great to see everyone working so hard to not only put the past event behind us but use it as a stepping stone to propel PC in a stronger direction.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I don't have a solution honestly, I'm not active enough here for it to affect me. I'm sure you guys will make the right choices, I'm solely urging people to wait until these choices have been fully made and actioned to pass judgement either way.

I find it sad that this situation happened, especially in the way it did. Based on my limited knowledge from what ex-staff who I'm close friends with have told me, the entire thing should never have happened. My viewpoint comes a lot from the fact I'm in the UK (laws are different here). But I mostly just feel bad for everybody involved, on both sides.

I think my words have been misconstrued based on how I phrased things (and the banner in my sig), but I really do wish everyone the best.
I thought as much. Was only curious because you seem pretty level headed about it all and any input is appreciated (after all this is a community effort not one of pure individuals.)

Back