Darkinium Z

Female
Dani California
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
5,772 posts
13.5 Years
Small Writing Competition!
Judged by Bay Alexison, bobandbill, Astinus, and Bardothren.

Welcome everyone to the Small Writing Competition! Ready to write a story based on this year's prompt that will impress the four judges and the rest of PC? Great!

But first, a few rules to keep in mind.

Rules
1.) Follow PC's rules and Fanfiction and Writing's rules.
2.) The stories written for this competition must be completely new. In other words, they must not have been written before and not posted anywhere else until judging is over.
3.) You must PM your entries to all of the judges. (This is so if someone loses their PMs the others still have them and so forth). The judges in question are bobandbill, Bay Alexison, Bardothren and Astinus. You also must post in this thread when you send your PMs so we can confirm you did send us an entry.
4.) One entry per member only, sorry.
5.) You have until 11:59pm EDT, 22nd September (Now it's been extended to 9am EDT/6am PST, 23rd September )to get your entry in.
6.) The story can be based on Pokemon or be original fiction. Note the judges may not all be familiar with any other fandoms.
7.) The entry can only be a completed one-shot as this is a small writing competition - no chaptered entries, please!
8.) Please don't publicly post your stories until the competition is over! Once the scores are posted and the competition is over, you may post your story in Fanfiction and Writing so that others may see it. Make sure to add [SWC] to your title if you do!

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Scoring and Prompt
Each entry can have a maximum score of 30, with the points broken down into three categories equaling 10 points in total like in previous years. The categories are:

Spelling and Grammar
Characterization, Plot, and Description
Relevance to Prompt

The prompt is magic, so good luck with making use of that in your story!

Entrants

Nothing, but maybe a Rom Hacker
RedBallon
Winter
Aisu
Chr. Draco
Forever
Cyaloom
icomeanon6
LilithSilver
BadSheep
Venia Sielnte
Salazorrah
Abby
countryemo

Foul Play
[Chapter Nine up!]

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.

Male
on the second floor's nest
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
874 posts
11.1 Years
Sign me in. I will try to make a good thing happen this year which hasn't been easy, but this contest tends to be inspirational for me. Also, glad to be back. Glad to see SWC is a thing, too.
Venia Silente - Consulting Worldbuilder
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries
: Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 : As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 : Beyond Today 2018 :

Other Releases
: Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :
»»More in profile link or wiki link««

The Meta Journey!
Nidoran : Carnivine

Aquacorde

... to the w o r l d. 🥂

Age 26
Non-binary
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
10,374 posts
15.4 Years
Ah I'll write!

Rainbow

Age 20
Female
Seen 36 Minutes Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
6,718 posts
9.5 Years
never done this before but why not
Infinite Insanity
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
365 posts
2.8 Years
I've had my eye on this contest since it's been announced. I haven't written any short stories in a while, but the prompt is making my head full of ideas. Wish me luck.
Formally known as RedBalloon
Once you give a Pokemon a personality, you can't go back depending on the severity and purpose of it. It's no longer just a "pixel" in your box.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"

Age 26
Male
Northern Virginia
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 26th, 2018
1,184 posts
11.8 Years
Nice prompt! Bet we'll get a good variety of takes on it. Count me in!
Old, Janky Fics
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=146381"]Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure[/url-inline]
Complete and FULL of lame jokes
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=127518"]Kanto: The Disputed Frontier[/url-inline]
Canceled
(Now with MST3K'd chapter 1!)
Chapter Fics
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=406057"]Roving Degenerates with Dangerous Pets[/url-inline]
Canceled
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=387471"]Will Somebody Stop These Kids?[/url-inline]
Complete
[url-inline="showthread.php?p=9293373"]Digimon Campaign[/url-inline]
Complete
One-Shot Fics
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=404864"]Wild Horses in Winter[/url-inline]
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=385011"]Hubris Island[/url-inline]
A&D Collab 2016
[url-inline="showthread.php?p=7449808"]Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It[/url-inline]
Small Writing Contest
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=193500"]2009[/url-inline], [url-inline="showthread.php?t=230366"]2010[/url-inline], [url-inline="showthread.php?t=258543"]2011[/url-inline] (1st), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=305055"]2013[/url-inline] (1st), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=332174"]2014[/url-inline] (1st), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=374329"]2016[/url-inline] (2nd), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=400230"]2017[/url-inline] (1st)
Family (kind of?): [url-inline="member.php?u=25615"]Strange person who calls me strange names[/url-inline]

Janp

Age 22
Male
Czech Republic
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 17 Hours Ago
3,505 posts
6.6 Years
Okay, Ill try this. Not sure if my English skills are good enough, but I can try :D
Pokémon Challenges | Shiny Island

Somewhere_

i don't know where

Age 19
Male
somewhere (duh)
Seen June 5th, 2019
Posted March 17th, 2019
4,494 posts
4.5 Years
Aside from voluntarily posting stories onto the writing sub-forum, will there be any way to read other member's entries after the event? For example, will there be a massive post on here or something with the short stories in spoiler tags?

Venia Silente

Male
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
874 posts
11.1 Years
Hey, what do we know, maybe Bardo pulls out some "magic" of his own and submits an entry that goes in somehow... XD

At the moment I am trying to polish and formalize three potential ideas to work with, to see which one will work out the best.. You never know where you are going to end up when you follow these abstract but versatile prompts.
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries
: Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 : As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 : Beyond Today 2018 :

Other Releases
: Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :

The Meta Journey!

Nothing, but maybe a Rom Hacker

I might be a Rom Hacker, I may not...

Male
Seen May 15th, 2019
Posted September 30th, 2017
8 posts
2.2 Years
Okay, why not? Well, why am I saying why not when I just PMed my entry to judges. Well, anyways I wish everybody GOOD LUCK! I hope the judges enjoy my entry and everybody else's.
SUPPORT BANNERS:

Support Sunset Orange, a hack by Daman!

RANDOM NOTES:
======================================================================================
GLORIA HOUSE MEMBER || Game Developer Wanna-be

Astinus

Age 32
Male
Seen September 20th, 2018
Posted September 10th, 2018
10,101 posts
13.6 Years
Posting here to confirm I got Nothing, but maybe a Rom Hacker's entry.

And good luck to everyone! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Aside from voluntarily posting stories onto the writing sub-forum, will there be any way to read other member's entries after the event? For example, will there be a massive post on here or something with the short stories in spoiler tags?
Unfortunately we won't be posting everyone's stories in a massive post. Some entrants might not want their story shared when the results are posted, in case they want to use the judges' reviews to change their story. Or there might be some entrants that simply don't want to share their story. Just posting the scores gives everybody the choice of if they want to share or not.
"Now the trumpet summons us again--
not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need--
not as a call to battle, though embattled we are--
but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out."

Somewhere_

i don't know where

Age 19
Male
somewhere (duh)
Seen June 5th, 2019
Posted March 17th, 2019
4,494 posts
4.5 Years
Unfortunately we won't be posting everyone's stories in a massive post. Some entrants might not want their story shared when the results are posted, in case they want to use the judges' reviews to change their story. Or there might be some entrants that simply don't want to share their story. Just posting the scores gives everybody the choice of if they want to share or not.
Thanks for answering my question!

Aquacorde

... to the w o r l d. 🥂

Age 26
Non-binary
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
10,374 posts
15.4 Years
ohhh that's an entry in already? wow! how's everyone else coming along?
Infinite Insanity
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
365 posts
2.8 Years
AHAHAHAHA! I sent my story in! Sorry I had to send separate PMs to the judges. It wouldn't send the same PM to the multiple judges at once. Stupid computer. But hey, I hope it's good, I hope! Took me three hours to write. It's like almost 20 minutes to midnight here on a Saturday night. Oh well.
Formally known as RedBalloon
Once you give a Pokemon a personality, you can't go back depending on the severity and purpose of it. It's no longer just a "pixel" in your box.

Aquacorde

... to the w o r l d. 🥂

Age 26
Non-binary
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
10,374 posts
15.4 Years
nice job!! im amazed at yall who can write so quickly wow~

Venia Silente

Male
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
874 posts
11.1 Years
I have four potential ideas to write for, and will spend a part of today evaluating and calibrating before the final decision. After that, it's only mostly writing and probably getting a beta reader. If time permits.

For those interested to know, the four plot ideas go more or less like this:
  1. A story where magic, whatever it means, plays a role, in some relatively important form.
  2. A narration of events strongly tied together by the application of a force that might be described as magic.
  3. You won't believe how this magic thingy intervenes in the plot! Click to read more!
  4. Some characters go on calling stuff that happens "magic", which might or might not be true to word.
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries

Other Releases

The Meta Journey!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"

Age 26
Male
Northern Virginia
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 26th, 2018
1,184 posts
11.8 Years
I solidified my idea last night and got the outline basically written earlier today. It's different than the kinds of stories I usually write and I'm not as confident about it as I've been for some of my past entries; but hey, sometimes the ones you're unsure about are the ones people like most. So here goes!

After that, it's only mostly writing and probably getting a beta reader. If time permits.
Better start asking around now. That's a lot of time to budget for a short contest.
Old, Janky Fics
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=146381"]Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure[/url-inline]
Complete and FULL of lame jokes
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=127518"]Kanto: The Disputed Frontier[/url-inline]
Canceled
(Now with MST3K'd chapter 1!)
Chapter Fics
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=406057"]Roving Degenerates with Dangerous Pets[/url-inline]
Canceled
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=387471"]Will Somebody Stop These Kids?[/url-inline]
Complete
[url-inline="showthread.php?p=9293373"]Digimon Campaign[/url-inline]
Complete
One-Shot Fics
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=404864"]Wild Horses in Winter[/url-inline]
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=385011"]Hubris Island[/url-inline]
A&D Collab 2016
[url-inline="showthread.php?p=7449808"]Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It[/url-inline]
Small Writing Contest
[url-inline="showthread.php?t=193500"]2009[/url-inline], [url-inline="showthread.php?t=230366"]2010[/url-inline], [url-inline="showthread.php?t=258543"]2011[/url-inline] (1st), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=305055"]2013[/url-inline] (1st), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=332174"]2014[/url-inline] (1st), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=374329"]2016[/url-inline] (2nd), [url-inline="showthread.php?t=400230"]2017[/url-inline] (1st)
Family (kind of?): [url-inline="member.php?u=25615"]Strange person who calls me strange names[/url-inline]
Advertiser Content