The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Anime
Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old December 31st, 2016 (6:43 AM).
just a miserable pile of secrets

Nature: Careful
    did it... hmm...

My vacation is probably scrambling my brain. XD

Yokai watch recently aired a live action movie (That beat Star Wars!!!) the show has a rejuvenated hype surrounding it, while the initial hype for sun and moon has died down.
    Old December 31st, 2016 (7:54 AM).
    Fighting a bigger fight

I think ratings for SM might pop up again because there are rumours of Serena returning during March (blergh, we've got five new characters, not including the adults to get invested in. If they do bring her back, pretty spineless move by bringing in fan service instead of relying on the SM characters IMO)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545
      Old December 31st, 2016 (8:39 AM).

I do think they should bring back some old characters for at least 1-2 episode appearances. The anime is coming up on its 20th anniversary, and 1-2 episodes won't hurt the development of the current characters.
        Old December 31st, 2016 (8:46 AM).
        Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
          Originally Posted by jjc927 View Post
          I do think they should bring back some old characters for at least 1-2 episode appearances. The anime is coming up on its 20th anniversary, and 1-2 episodes won't hurt the development of the current characters.
          Depends how they bring them back. Fan service for the sake of fanservice is bad.

Misty > Togepi thing, Gyarados fear, gym leader - decent (admittedly can't remember much)
          May > Wallace Cup, helped Dawn get through depression - good, aside Dawn beating May
          Brock > stale in ADV and DP - bad
          Dawn > no real reason - bad

The rumours are that she'll return as a travelling companion...which is going to completely overshadow the other characters, bar Lillie because of where it looks like they're taking Lillie's story.

Old December 31st, 2016 (4:21 PM).

I strongly doubt the rumor of Serena coming back is true, at least as a permanent companion.

She's done, her arc is over. We've got new characters and Pokemon that need development now, there's no place for Serena.
            Old January 1st, 2017 (10:52 AM).
            Vampire Waifu

Nature: Quirky
              Where exactly are these rumors about Serena's return coming from? I thought it was confirmed by her VA that she wasn't coming back?
              Old January 1st, 2017 (4:46 PM).
              Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                Where exactly are these rumors about Serena's return coming from? I thought it was confirmed by her VA that she wasn't coming back?
                I don't know...it's usually Amourshippers taking things out of context/grasping at straws...

1) Serena went to Hoenn, not Johto
                2) They wouldn't get rid of their moneymaker like that
                3) The girl from the games isn't present and her name is Selene which is pronounced as Serene
                4) Serena figurine being released in March even though you can buy it now
                5) XY Director confirmed in a recent interview Serena kissed Ash and they probably will be together
                6) 20th anniversary and Serena is the most likely girl to return because of it

it's all just...like stop yo. There is no narrative reason for her return. She's done. Poorly written character that should never return.

Old January 12th, 2017 (1:12 PM).
                The Pokemon Observer

Nature: Lonely
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Frozocrone View Post
                  5) XY Director confirmed in a recent interview Serena kissed Ash and they probably will be together
                  6) 20th anniversary and Serena is the most likely girl to return because of it
                  Aren't these two reason rather the very reason why Serena WILL NOT return in SM, whether it is for long-term or fan-service cameo?
                  Old January 12th, 2017 (1:28 PM).
                  Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
                    Aren't these two reason rather the very reason why Serena WILL NOT return in SM, whether it is for long-term or fan-service cameo?
                    Precisely. It's going to be much easier to sweep it under the rug if she never returns.

Ratings for 26 Dec - 1 Jan are up but I don't think an episode aired so eh, another week.

Old January 14th, 2017 (1:43 AM).

I love Serena as much as the next rabbid amour shipper... but she shouldn't come back... well not this soon anyway. Her return would only impede the growth of the very solid SM main cast.

And I doubt a small subset of japanese amourshippers would sway the ratings anyway.
                      Old January 14th, 2017 (12:26 PM).
                      Memes Straight Outta 2007

Again, people put too much stock in ratings. Ratings share= the percentage of viewers a show gets.

Ratings are dropping ACROSS THE BOARD. Pokemon XYZ had many episodes make the top 10 despite getting 3s. Some shows make the top 10 with ratings in the 2s on occasion. Even the top shows usually get around 8-10s, which was a 10th place show back in the day. People don't watch TV live much anymore, and that's a worldwide trend.

The ratings for XYZ thread was very disconcerting, with people claiming that the anime was over and that Pokemon was dead. Yo-Kai Watch's ratings aren't MUCH better! Even the highest ranked episodes only get in the 4s, which is around what the highest rated XYZ episodes got.

Plus, ratings are just for the Kanto region. One out of eight. Ratings being low there doesn't mean low everywhere.

Online reaction is a better metric for people claiming "JAPAN HATES THE ANIME NOW!". Unless you see people on Japanese forums saying "THIS IS GARBAGE!" It's safe to say that Japan has NOT given up on the anime.
                        Old January 19th, 2017 (6:22 PM).
                        Fighting a bigger fight

So I totally forgot that the ratings were released today:

SM009 - 2.7

SM010 - 3.9

Yokai Watch aired both weeks.

Old January 21st, 2017 (4:27 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Rad Dudesman View Post
                            I strongly doubt the rumor of Serena coming back is true, at least as a permanent companion.

She's done, her arc is over. We've got new characters and Pokemon that need development now, there's no place for Serena.
                            Why don't we get rid of Ash while we're at it? If they're willing to get rid of everyone else, they should do the same with Ash and Team Rocket and bring in a new protagonist.

As the ratings stay low the anime is more likely to get cancelled. You figured that after middle fingering your audience with the Kalos League the staff would learn their lessons. But it seems that isn't the case.
                            Old January 24th, 2017 (8:39 PM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by _Dog View Post
                              Why don't we get rid of Ash while we're at it? If they're willing to get rid of everyone else, they should do the same with Ash and Team Rocket and bring in a new protagonist.

As the ratings stay low the anime is more likely to get cancelled. You figured that after middle fingering your audience with the Kalos League the staff would learn their lessons. But it seems that isn't the case.
                              The likelihood of the pokemon anime being cancelled just because of low ratings is lower that hitting absolute zero with four sand attacks on you... If Pokemon game/merch sales ever tank it would mean the end of the anime and the series, but ratings don’t really matter that much now anyway. It provides a good Ice breaker (As I was railed into the forums by a similar post :D)

Like most characters burned into pop culture… Satoshi/Ash is a character ingrained in Japanese media. So it makes sense that the show would use him as the mc. Tho, a new protagonist/cast who start a new series and have their arc end at finale of the said series would be better. Like The build fighter or Yu-gi-oh series…

I do agree that the Kalos league loss was a complete dumpster fire tho...

Oh and welcome to the forum dude!
                              Old January 25th, 2017 (11:30 AM).

It would be too early for Serena to return(which is very unlikely as well). And if she is coming back as a permanent character why don't writers add another bunch of characters as mains and overflood it?
                                Old January 25th, 2017 (1:17 PM).

It's unlikely, that Serena will be in SM because Pokemon now runs differently than usual.

Whether Serena, as with the others, is also forgotten, in which she gets some episodes and will never show up again, is not to be guessed from XYZ, because the time for predictability is over. If you have watched XYZ and SM, you would now know, that you could not predict anymore, like Masuda said.

The interview said: 'Serena tells Satoshi that she's going to improve herself and then come back to him'. This was Yajima said,is not, what he personally said, it came from the staff. If the staff said, that Serena goes back to Ash, then I believe it.

That is why I think, that these times from OG to BW is over. So it will definitely not run anymore, which means, that Serena will not suffer the same fate as the others.

Also SM is a comedy anime, where there is no romance. Therefore, it is unlikely that Serena will be in SM. How Serena comes back to Ash, is unclear, but as the interview was said, Serena will return to Ash. And no one knows it better than the staff themselves. She can be a permanent character or also not, who knows.
                                  Old January 26th, 2017 (3:13 AM). Edited January 26th, 2017 by IcyIce.
                                  Fictional Writer.

Nature: Quiet
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by _Dog View Post

The only way I think they can successfully get rid of Ash is if they follow nothing but the manga. Otherwise, I just don't see it doing well without Ash. Origins did ok. Generations completely failed to a lot of people. Chronicles failed badly. And it seems that the ratings in Japan have doubled since XY for pokemon.

Besides, I think people are starting to love him more. Not as much as they did, but more than Unova.

And I am not sure we can really say it has low ratings. Especially if YoKai continues to fall down the list which is the only real competitor for pokemon. And as stated, ratings don't matter.

And Japan likes the childish looking anime better it would seem. Other countries are the only one that liked XY.

Also Serena may still return. I don't think we can rule her out. I mean they kissed. The writer confirmed that. And apparently even said that was who Ash would end up with. Iris didn't come back because not many liked her at all. However, a ton of people like Serena. She could pull a Dawn or Misty. She could return for about 10 episodes and then leave to go back to Hoenn. Serena doing contests now, that would give her a good reason to come to Alola for at least temporary to get new clothing and pokemon. I mean just image if Serena caught a Tsarena. Maybe she wants to catch an Alolan pokemon after learning about them to have an extra wow factor in contests.
                                    Old January 26th, 2017 (3:04 PM).
                                    Fighting a bigger fight

SM011 Ratings - 3.9

Seems to be steadily holding just under the 4m mark for now.

Old January 26th, 2017 (9:07 PM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by IcyIce View Post
                                        Also Serena may still return. I don't think we can rule her out. I mean they kissed. The writer confirmed that. And apparently even said that was who Ash would end up with.
                                        She can come back but if she won't be the permanent (or at least recurring) character in SM she won't end up with ash. Even if the writers confirm it that ash and Serena will be together and Serena will go back to hoenn, I can bet my money that they won't be together. SM will air for 3-4 years and if Serena doesn't have a role in it except a cameo, she will also be forgotten like all others!
                                        Old February 2nd, 2017 (9:40 PM).
                                        Fighting a bigger fight

I haz ability to post ratings now?

SM012 - 3.9

Is Pokemon consistently beating Yokai-Watch now? I don't follow Yokai...like at all.

Old February 4th, 2017 (6:46 AM).

Looks like it... I haven't seen it in Anime News networks rating report in a while now...

Since DB super and Pre-cure have already picked up steam (And viewership) Pokemon and Yokai watch would have a hard time cracking the top ten... they'd be fighting for tenth place more or less.
                                            Old February 10th, 2017 (3:34 PM).
                                            Fighting a bigger fight

If anyone was curious;

SM013 < 4.0

Old February 11th, 2017 (7:45 PM).
                                              (≧∇≦)/

Nature: Timid
                                              Aw. Though I guess I expected it because of much lower how ratings have been since mid-BW or so.

2.5-3.9 is still by no means a poor number though; that's still a hefty watch count, with Pokémon sitting right below the top 10 mark. But I guess there's little chance in the series bringing in a consistent 6.0+ like it did during DP times due to increased competition, kids not having as much interest in the anime anymore, etc. Even the movies have been doing absolutely horrendous in the box office.

pair family twin mal llsif bandori ffxiv art
                                              Old February 17th, 2017 (12:15 PM).
                                              Fighting a bigger fight

Movie's were bad or so I heard. I don't really watch the movie's anymore, it's more or less the same plot only with a different legendary.

Anyway, I was busy yesterday and today so didn't get a chance to post until now.

SM014 Ratings - 3.9

~4m viewers is pretty decent.

Old February 20th, 2017 (9:54 PM).

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think the SM anime is in a good position. It isn't.

Quick Reply