• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mid Battle Evolutions

• Thread starter Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
  • Start date

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

During the anime, we've seen countless times how a Pokemon evolves in the middle of a battle and turn the tables in the owners favour. However, in the games no matter how many experience points and levels your Pokemon gains it will not evolve until after the battle.

So, would you like if your Pokemon in battle? If so, what method would be allowed? Only levelling up, or maybe you could give you Pokemon a stone in the heat of battle? How would Game Freak pull it off if they decided to do it? Would they use the same, particles come apart in a flash of light and come back together or something totally different? I personally would love to be able to give my Pokemon a stone midway through and change the dynamic of the battle. What do you think? Discuss!

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Ah yes, mid battle evos. Sounds cool, especially when ur so "Oh my gosh, I'm soooo weak!" when BOOM! This will be such a surprise! I definitely support this.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Mid-Battle evolutions would be so nice to have, especially when the anime already has that sort of thing. But knowing how the Pokémon games go, they would always do it after the battle, but if that changed... then it would happen after the opponent's Pokémon is defeated and your Pokémon has reached the level of evolving.

blue

gucci
Years
I would actually like this idea, it would be a change and it's a pain if you reach the level to meet the evolution but your Pokemon faints before battle which stops it from evolving. Although I'm not sure if that was rectified in Gen V..

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I've never thought of this, and it's a brilliant idea imo. I'd love to have my Pokemon evolve mid-battle (perhaps only through happiness/leveling - not through evolutionary stones.)

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Mid-battle evolutions would be a great thing to have introduced to the games, the chances of it being implemented are tiny though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I would actually like this idea, it would be a change and it's a pain if you reach the level to meet the evolution but your Pokemon faints before battle which stops it from evolving. Although I'm not sure if that was rectified in Gen V..

I believe in gen 5 (or at least in B2W2) the Pokemon evolves even if it faints.

While it would be cool to have such a feature, I feel like it might make the battles a tiny, tiny bit easier since your stats will be not only increasing from the level-up, but from the evolutionary line's stat increase--and the battle isn't even over yet! Granted, it's not very game-breaking, but I still don't really think it will happen.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
It would be great if this happens. It may make a battle you are going to loose a battle you will win!

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
It would be great if this happens. It may make a battle you are going to loose a battle you will win!
Not really, if the evo of [insert some 6th gen mon here] is slow & ur left will idk, low HP, u'll still lose anyway but it is a shocker if mid-battle evo's were implemented!

Guy

just a guy
Years
I've always thought this was a good idea, and I still do. It'd be nice if they decided since they've already evolved the battle scenes so much for the 3DS, they'd take it one step further and allow our Pokémon to evolve mid-battle too. Although, I'm not sure the possibility of it happening is very large.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I would really like to see that happening and it might even help you win a battle but it isn't very likely to happen.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah; I used to often though about when my pokemon hit a certain level, why it was not evolving; for example, when I used my Squirtle against Brock; it hit level 16 before I faced his Onix, so, yeaaaah I got really confused there. xD But yeah, I'd love this option; it'll make battling kinda epic! Like, say your facing a gym leader, and you only have one pokemon left - your Vibrava against a dragon type leader; he or she has a very strong last pokemon, but then your Vibrava starts evolving into a Flygon! That'd be awesomeee... your newly evolved pokemon against the gym's strongest pokemon~

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think if they were to do mid battle evolutions they'll have a catch like it has to be at 1/2 hp or less like how in the anime the Pokemon is struggling tha evolves.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I don't think they'll even use mid-battle evolutions, because a long evolution sequence could easily interrupt the battle, making it last longer than it's suppose to be.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I doubt they'd do it. Even if it's just in-game, I feel it'd be unfair since, you know, the opponents' Pokemon already can't level up as is, and thus cannot evolve during battle. (I guess evolving via friendliness is a possibility, but there aren't as many Pokemon that do that ><;) Also, as was said, it would kind of interrupt the flow of the battle. And if you're trying to train a Pokemon to a certain level before evolving it and it made it so that it tried evolving every single time it gained a level, well... Yeah, that'd be annoying.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
I had never thought of this idea before. I find it very interesting indeed. Evolving in the middle of a battle would turn the tables definitely!

But, that'd change part of what Pokemon games are, so, I barely see it happening. Good idea, though.

Back