• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: All about Sprites:

NatureKeeper

Hello, I'm Psk, also known as Donnaclus A. Nyren.

This is my table of contents:

1. Inserting Pokemon Front/Backsprites.
2. Shiny Problems
3. Common Problems
4. Indexing Sprites
5. Taking sprites out of Vedios.
6. Spriter's Dictionary

1. Inserting Pokemon Front/Backsprites:

You'll need:

-UNLZ GBA
-Paint
-A backup

Now, I'm going to insert Dialga using Sprites I got permission to use from DJG:

First, Get a pure Dialga Sprite, Indexed and Clean:

Then open Un-lz GBA, For this tutorial i'll replace likitung (or whatever spelling):
34q2pmc.jpg

Click on "Import": Choose your dialga sprite.PNG

Make sure your Pallete "Pal"is set only for this PKMN. Or else your doomed. Most of the time it is if the pokemon is kinda you know, exculsive.

Now it looks like this:

13zsx6x.jpg

See? our pallete's screwed up form is on.
However, the first line, or the first 16 colors will be the pallette after we write to rom.

Now Click Write to Rom.

25te34o.jpg

Check Auto Abort if new data if bigger if you want to.

Now, click Ok.

o7k3dw.jpg

Guys, btw do not use any sprite rightaway. Dialga screwed up my sprite. Lickitung is better for Palkia, Pink to Pink.

The Screenshots are edited by paint, as i removed titles and the last shot has the screwed up dialga covered with a proper one, preventing problems. Guys do not replace before double checking your sprite.

Thanks for: Elitemap and Jagold.

2.Shiny Problems:

You'll need:

*IrfanView
*Pokepic found with elitemap

Ok. Everybody Knows that there's a Normal Frontsprite and a Shiny Backsprite to insert a Pokemon. However, the game doesn't recognize that by itself. It needs a special pallete. Open IrfanView on a clean INDEXED sprite. Open one on theback sprite too.

Now click Image/ Edit Pallete

Now for each/ you notice that each one has a pallete of 16 different colors.

2hqwc3b.jpg

THe upper pallete is for the normal form. while the lower pallete is for shiny. Notice that the color in the lower pallete is the shiny mode of the same slot in the upper pallete. for example, The brown colour is green in the lower pallete.

Trust me, then try it on Pokepic. If the Shiny Frontsprite on it is calculated perfect, then you've done it. Check the Normal Backsprite also.

Thanks for:

*IrfanView *Elitemap (The Helmeted Rodent)

Common Problems:

Requirements

1- Un-lz GBA
2- Your desired Image
3- Your ROM
4- FSF or a Hex Viewer

Remember this Picture:
25te34o.jpg

The dialga screwed up. Auto abort if new data is bigger is NESSECARY
if you're inserting any sprite. The Dialga's hex size was high. Here's how you do it :), however I won't be getting screenshots now. :\

1- Click the Auto Abort Button without Automatically fix pointers when you click write to rom

2- It'll tell you the hex size.

3- Use a hex viewer and find one offset with a lot of FFs or 00s OR use FSF and use the Hex<->Dec Converter and convert your hex code into Dec, then use FSF and search. Get the offset.

4- Now go back to UN-lz. Choose your Image, Write to ROM, check them ALL. Change the Image Offset to the new one. But leave the first '00' alone. for example if the original Sprite Offset is '00E78CF5', change it to '00980100' without editing the first two zeros :)

5- If you found a message saying (found at ptr n.#, changed) message, you did it!

4- Indexing Sprites:

We'll be needing:

1-IrfanView
2-An unindexed sprite.

Steps:

1- Bring your sprite. (It doesn't matter if it is not resized in GBA, though but 80x80 is max... :P)
2- Use IrfanView and decrease color depth to 16 colors. In case You want it for GSC that's 8 colors :P
3- Kill Missingno before he glitches your sprite! Lol. Click Save as and put a different name.
4- Still using the same sprite, open the pallete and let your 'transparent' color be the first one to the left. Click OK. now save the sprite. Remember, Now we have two, the saved as one and the screwed-pallete transparent to color one
5- Open both with paint and copy paste the vaild one to the transparent-colored set one.
6- Save and close.

5.Taking Sprites out of Vedios
CANCELED

Last edited:

Khan6195

Michael Jackson Died. Parté!
Years
Umm, I thought it was pretty good, but I think it either needs more pictures, or just clear up the section "2. Shiny Problems." I'm really having a hard time understanding that. Thanks.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I understand it, and I find this easier to explain. I've stated to people who wished to insert pokemon about the shiny thing, but all of them didn't understand. This is quite simple to me, but I am used to complicated things making sense.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Woah, what are you doing?! You must always check Auto Abort! Or else it can mess up your sprites!

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Woah, what are you doing?! You must always check Auto Abort! Or else it can mess up your sprites!

Yeah, Goodies is right!
ALWAYS check it, it may not just screw up sprites, it can also corrupt scripts, headers and can instantly kill a ROM. It's the reason why your Dialga looked screwed up.

NatureKeeper

I was gonna check it! I didn't know then. Fixing it in common problems chapter ;)

Metallimaniac

needs help with his hack!!!
Years
is there a way to add new sprites without overwriting old ones?
i want to add overworld sprites for the R/S/E Legendaries but i dont want to overwrite sprites that are already being used in FR...which is pretty much all of them.

DawnRyder

I cannot believe I'm back -.-
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
is there a way to add new sprites without overwriting old ones?
i want to add overworld sprites for the R/S/E Legendaries but i dont want to overwrite sprites that are already being used in FR...which is pretty much all of them.

Yes, you can.

You must specify new offsets in the 'Write To Rom' dialog.

If you're talking about OW spriting, this is the wrong thread for that.

Try Here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=152021

Back