• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's a Good Size For a Fakedex?

Kyepha

~K Y E P H A~
Years
Hey There!

I want to hear the thoughts and views from others' on what an good Pokedex size would be for the custom Pokemon (known as Fakemon) in a Pokemon Fan Game. The standard I see would be around 100-120. I often see most games settle at 40-50ish (even lower) because of the time and creative demands it takes to create unique Fakemon not only with designs but with stats, entries, and lore too! I've also seen some ambitious projects do 150+ (some even redo an entire National Dex! Though I've only seen that happen once or twice).

So yeah let me know. If the Fakemon would be a key addition to a fan game project (or ROM Hack), how big, (or small), do you think the Fakedex should be? I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions :wink-right-eye:

Years
Hmmm, personally I think the Fakedex depends on the region/story and what as well, though I do think somewhere in the 100 mark is best so it's not oversaturated nor too sparse.

HOWEVER, if fakemon are the key factor in the game? I would say possibly about 200 would be best despite that being quite ambitious.

(my current Fakedex is sitting at 108 right now.)

Last edited:

Xtr3me

Professional Quitter
Years
I think 100, 200 at best is enough for a Fakedex. You don't want to overload the player with new Fakemon!
But even 100 is ambitious, seeing that you have to design all the sprites, battlers... Loads of work awaiting you, but good luck!

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
To me it depends on the length of the game, and how many areas there are to catch them in, so that all the fakemon are in cool locations that make sense for their type and theme.
So if the game is big, you'd need a lot more. Like lots of dungeons or caves would mean a lot of cool fakemon to fill them up. But if the hack is a shorter story with only a few locations, it would be okay to only have maybe 2 or 3 fakemon in each area, and mostly they could be kind of generic to just fill up routes in the grass.

For myself, I would love to have a game with a full national dex of fakemon, but I'd worry about being able to make them all tied together and believable, also balanacing them all. So I'll settle in my projects for only making maybe some legendary fakemon for special events near the end of the game, and stick to normal pokémon for the rest of the game.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
It's not the number of fakemon IMO, it's how you use them and how memorable they are.

Think of the 386 pokemon in gen III. How many of these are really memorable and stand out and people like? Probably only about 50.

You only really need 40-50 good designs and it'll be great.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
Its about how you use them and how memorable the fakemon are.

Out of the 386 pokes in gen III. How many are really memorable and used alot? Probably about 50.

I think 40 fakemon is good, provided they are used in the plot and are good designs. Give some of them a story like mewtwo or something

Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
I think a decent fakedex should be 150-200.
But I also think that if you're trying to make a full fletched fan game then you could add some real pokemon and 10-15 more fakemon to the defalt counter which is 150-200 , within each update.

But it depends on you. You can do as many as you want to as this is your game not anyone else's.

Last edited:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
I definitely think 150 is a solid number. It is work but you should be willing to put a certain degree of effort into your project if you're planning to see something through. I'd only advocate for the 50-60 area if it was a short game, with like four badges or fewer. Higher than 150 doesn't seem necessary :P

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jul 16, 2018
I'd say anything between 100-150

Anything under 100 and the player might feel like there's not a variety of pokemon, but anything above 150 and the player might feel a bit overwhelmed

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Depends how many areas your game has really! As long as each route offers new opportunities and you have enough mons to keep trainers varied and interesting you're probably OK... I agree with above, the 100-150 ballpark seems about right.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
I'd say do 152 at least or you're Faking it. Do even more and you can call it a real pokédex you know? I made like a hundred fourty maybe more more pokémon today.. but that's because I don't even want monsters on mine,
so I remade the Kanto
and JOHTO dexes without things like Ekans and Aerodactylus you know? Snake, hood snake, and stonecrow, definitely not love, so definitely not pokémon,

what even are your favorite animals? do you think?

Yotes

GameDev
Years
I'm a fan of quality over quantity. My game for instance is going to have 60 base forms and 38 evolutions. Just shy of a hundred, but all fully animated, fleshed out, balanced, and redesigned over and over until they each look awesome in their own way.

What's the point of having 200 Fakemon if no one remembers half of them? Just put in as many as you have good ideas for and time to implement. Avoid filler-mon and forced pre-evolutions.

Back