• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] Off The Menu [Aw, ain't you a big tickle?] [T] [OOC]

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Makes me twitch --

7ddxoY3.png
"I wanted to know about your drawing -- your art."
-----
Jean-Georges stood still for a moment, unsure of why the Linoone was asking the same question again. The octopus squinted at his peer to see if he could detect a particular angle they were trying to get at, but didn't find anything in their intention other than a sheer lack of understanding. Backing down, he pondered how to reinterpret his answer in symbolism that the land-dweller could easily connect to; the concept of "art" on land was oddly disjointed from language, and while this dissonance made it so there were no exact words to describe the position that harnessed his skills, he did remember seeing a piece in a museum that depicted a strange creature in a role similar to his own. He tried his best to recreate it and handed the result to his inquisitor, pointing at the picture and then back to himself a few times.

Spoiler:

-----
A realization quickly trailed in the wake of remembering his day trip, and he paused his explanation to pluck out a pad of graph paper from a little nook underneath the bar where he kept a trove of his material possessions. It was new and clearly so - judging by the cleanliness of the paper and the amount of sheets left to be used - and Jean-Georges indicated to a small doodle on its first page.

Spoiler:

-----
After a bit of silence fondly appreciating the portrayed, he flipped the page over, spat some ink on his tentacle, and made a sloppy copy of it. He mocked a tutting sound and waved his appendage back-and-forth, as if disapproving his last action, and picked up a pen. He then redrew the image with incredibly accuracy while guiding his - what one could refer to as a hand, perhaps - with another. Once he was finished, he laid the pen across the arms of the creature depicted on top of the pile.

"What the hell is that?"
-----
It seemed that the excitable Kirlia had taken deep interest in his drawing of the abyss! The Octillery seated himself besides her and skimmed through various entries that concerned it in his sketchbook; of which there were plenty, as it was one of his favorite subjects.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Makes me shake --

• Edited OOC OP to be reflective of the new unlimited guest list questions, favor, and inactivity rules.
  • Overhauled the structure of the Essentials Post; it's a bit long for my tastes, but it flows much better. It includes lots of new fan art, and profiles on your player characters! I figured it would be a fun exercise so that (a) there's a comprehensive list of characters, and (b) you guys get insight into how I view your characters with my corny descriptions. If you take issue with something written or would like to revise your character's entry to be more accurate to how you view them, please let me know!
  • Also, you may have noticed that Jean-Georges has a "Interrogatories Compilation." If you take a look at the Essentials Post, you'll see a little spoiler tag under his profile - and Claudette's - that links to a repurposed old post of mine that stores all their Guest List questions and answers, with anchor links for your convenience!
  • Edited the Off the Menu logo into the IC OP.
  • PJ's accent has had a bit of an expansion. While I've edited my GM Posts to reflect this, I'm waiting on Jauntier to edits his posts where PJ appears as well. Just letting you guys know.

This dessert takes the cake --

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years

ok4us40.png
? Puzzles Abound

Looking down at the pages, Cadbury held a baffled expression, mouth open, for longer than is proper. Jean-Georges, why must you be so inscrutable?

Just when he thought he'd started to find something he understood, further drawings appeared that seemed so unrelated to the topic that he could not find their intended meaning.

The only thing that lightened his mood, and inspired a small smile from the badger, was the depiction of this pile of Spindas. "This is a very cute drawing, Jean-Georges! I'm fond of it. Have you showed Mr. Clarke?"

His smile slipped away. "Ah, yes, I'm getting off topic, sorry."

Cadbury moved back into scrutinizing the images and what they might mean. "So what I'm getting from this one, is that you're saying you are a, ah... What did they call those... A scribe? I suppose that would begin to explain all the writing... But that's a very different skill than learning to draw, yes?"

He looked at the Spindas, the way Jean-Georges sloppily copied a bastardization of the image down, then did it again with a guided limb, in a neat and tidy...

Copy.

"Wait!" His ears were perked to full excitement now. "The written language like a scribe, the drawing of the scribe, and the Spindas, and even the wine and the menu items! You're a copier!" he exclaimed with a point. "A, ah, a duplicator!" Some other words came to mind, but they all had negative connotations. Nnnnot that Jean-Georges would pick up on those.

"You learned to copy what you saw on paper, be it writing or pictures. Is that it?" he asked with a smile.

His expression shifted to something a little more curious. "I saw that you mimed someone else's 'tentacle' guiding your own, there. Did another person teach you to do this -- did you have a teacher? Or did you learn by yourself, alone?"

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
I'm gonna make a post today; Mother's Day hubbub rolled up on me.

Kiyo, send me a message on Discord tho; I'd like to do a collab post to get things moving faster on our end. And Ech too, lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
The IC is getting out of hand, LOL

It's only been 20 minutes. QQ and Vissi are so extra right now. Idek about B.T. but he's clearly coming after baby boy Bailey, and Cadbury got low key savage on Morimoto (my favorite NPC, btw) like what is going on.

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
FROM CANON
TO FISH WHO SOMEHOW BECAME AN OCTOPUS

Living is an effort and I'll stop when I die.

I don't know what any of that means.

But anyways, do you have any friends?

... regardless of your answer, do you want to be my friend? I can draw too.

91d8c20293a9dbb1fbba22866bee9cb12d7e2eae.jpg

THIS IS TOTALLY MY ORIGINAL WORK AND I DIDN'T JUST STEAL IT OFF A MAGICAL PLACE CALLED GOUAGH-GULL. I SWEAR ON MY LIE, I DREW THIS JUST FOR YOU, MY SWEET TENTACLE FETISH.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
7ddxoY3.png
"Did you have an art teacher, or did you learn by yourself?"
-----
Jean-Georges perked up at "scribe" and nodded; that was exactly what the lady at the museum had called him, too! The octopus had been struggling to remember the term since he had enlightened her, and he couldn't very well ask her again once she was gone. Though, he seemed a bit disconcerted when Cadbury had called writing different to art once more, because he - personally - couldn't discern any distinction between the process in creating what his peers called "traditional art" and "words." Perhaps that was because of his method; he wasn't so much a "duplicator" - as his furry companion had commented - as he was a tracer, or whatever Mister PJ had titled him that seemed to suit well.

-----
The Octillery thought about what the phrase "teacher" meant to him ... certainly, there was one overwhelmingly obvious answer in accordance with both his spiritual and practical life, but up on land it meant someone who actively aided another to harness skills so that the latter could functionally perform said act without the educator's further guidance. He gestured to the picture of Spindas once more and waved a pen around, giving credit where it was due when it came to matters such as using more socially appropriate writing utensils - as he had explained - but the relationship he had with his mother hit the nail more on the head: but whether or not she could be considered a "teacher" per se or simply a taskmaster that requires and reinforces artistic skill in her children to convey her own knowledge, was up for debate. In any case, he flashed one of his favorite renditions of her:

Spoiler:

-----
Suddenly, the octopus remembered that an old flip book of his kept an illustrated copy of his technique, and pulled it out for the badger to peruse.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

-----
When Cadbury had finished, Jean-Georges' eyes had gone noticeably glossy and he was sketching a small, gothic-styled portrait of the Linoone. Once he had finished, his cheerful gaze returned, and he presented the sketch to his friend with a joy that was almost palpable.

"Do you have any friends?"
-----
He wiggled all his tentacles around in elation, letting out the highest pitched gurgle his course voice could produce. He grasped the hand of the Kirlia and patted it warmly, incredibly excited at the prospect of procuring another friend. He had persuaded many friends to join him since his permanent surfacing on land and more were always welcome! Jean-Georges snagged up the picture he was gifted and slipped it right behind the front cover of his sketchbook.

-----
Considering that she had asked, and that soon she would be joining them, the Octillery took a nearby framed standing chalkboard and detailed a picture of his other friends for the Kirlia:

Spoiler:

-----
These two were his favorite subjects; he had met them long, long ago on the beach when he was just a drone of a Remoraid, before the current age - when their peculiar species dominated the earth - and there were thousands just like them in the sea that he had befriended since, but there was something more artistic about this duo that pleased him. They were very young and eager, and loved the water, so their descent was very poetic and fitting, he thought. Which reminded him; he had a related picture in his repertoire about their baptism!

Spoiler:

-----
Though, he was a bit biased. It was his first time out meeting anyone or working for his mother, and granted he was in a swarm of his brothers and sisters so the couple most likely didn't take any particular notice in him, but the specialness of the encounter never left him.​

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
It's particularly amusing that not only is QuiQui mistaking a woman for a man, she's mistaking a PREGNANT woman for a man.

I have to wonder how she thinks "real hair" works if she is making the assertion while it's not even attached to her scalp, ahaha.

Also, we should start a tally of how many times characters wring wet things out in this roleplay, because it's starting to stack up.

Cadbury should be very glad right now that he walked into the MEN'S washroom and not the other one.

Edit: Just posted -- Cadbury's formal manner of speaking even sticks with him in the men's washroom, heh heh. I'm pleased.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
I'm gonna read and post late tonight after I'm done all my college stuff today.

Also, lol tbh I imagine Claudette isn't like sloshing out with a baby bump as my excuse for having QQ be like "you're a man, stop."

"Um... Touch this hair and tell me it ain't real." - QQ
Basically the hair itself is made from real hair (or fur sometimes) so she asserts that constantly. She doesn't call it a wig though, and she never will, becaw it re-aw. -tongue click-

Next post QQ's gonna be drippin' 'n' wringin' for half the time. Girl, she soppy.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
btw, do you want to do a collab next post? QQ and CB are gonna both be at the Coat Check. It's prime time for interaction, I think.

Sure, do you mean a Joint Post or just doing our own posts that bounce off each other?

Oh, actually, seems PJ is recommending that Cadbury go with just the green tie (to appease Carmine's colour preferences), which would mean no need for the Coat Check. I could take this advice, or I could refuse it on the grounds that the tie is dirty (it was after all, wet enough to wring out into a cup). In the latter case, I would indeed be taking a trip to Coat Check. Hm, what to do...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
Sure, do you mean a Joint Post or just doing our own posts that bounce off each other?

Oh, actually, seems PJ is recommending that Cadbury go with just the green tie (to appease Carmine's colour preferences), which would mean no need for the Coat Check. I could take this advice, or I could refuse it on the grounds that the tie is dirty (it was after all, wet enough to wring out into a cup). In the latter case, I would indeed be taking a trip to Coat Check. Hm, what to do...

Yeah, a joint one, I think it's faster. I'll do it after I'm done responding to Kiyo's weird thing he left for QQ.

What you decide, quote me or message me on discord. You can PM me for my tag if you think the latter's faster yk

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
Yeah, a joint one, I think it's faster. I'll do it after I'm done responding to Kiyo's weird thing he left for QQ.

What you decide, quote me or message me on discord. You can PM me for my tag if you think the latter's faster yk

Ok, I'll do the latter and refuse the necktie since it's wine-splattered. PJ will understand. It's for QuiQui.
Lemme send you a Discord-ding

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
I miss Kiyo.
"Who's Kiyo," more like "Where's Kiyo" eyyyyyy

ok4us40.png
Puzzles Abound

"One part Mr. Clarke, I'm assuming," Cadbury guessed, watching the octopus touch on the Spindas and gesticulate with his pen. He tried to figure out the other part by taking up Jean-Georges's book and flipping through it. The first image looked at first like a cross between an anemone and an octopus, until a tilt of his head aided him in identifying its true nature: an upside-down octopus, limbs limp, eyes dizzy. The hand that held it up by the cranium reappeared in the next page, and Cadbury winced at what he saw. He could only interpret this arm as a victim to a tentacled beast below. He glanced up at Jean-Georges briefly. The Octillery was such a friendly one, such a contrast to this. Cadbury had no end of difficulty interpreting this image's intentions, given its artist.

Oh, this next image was interesting. Visualization, the workings of the eye and the images it sees. Cadbury remembered reading scientific evidence of the images formed on retina being upside-down, or something to that effect. That must be what this signified. Perhaps showing this drawing was Jean-Georges way of explaining copying down what he saw?

When Cadbury moved to return the flipbook, he noticed the Octillery busy with another piece in the meanwhile. He took note of the look in Jean-Georges's eye. Was that... normal? He wasn't an artist, and he wasn't sure that the artist's gaze looked like when focused on task, but... This didn't strike him as ordinary.

The next paper he was handed, Cadbury got the impression he was not intended to give back. "Oh, it's me, is it not? That's a handsome stylization. For me?" He smiled, appreciative, but not certain he's any closer to a true understanding of his co-worker. "Thank you, Jean-Georges." Well, if the octopus did indeed consider himself a "tracer," then this certainly was outside that realm. One cannot trace a three-dimensional butler, after all!

Piggybacking on the Kirlia's question, Cadbury stood by the chalkboard that the octopus had swapped to, and studied the image. It gave him the same feeling of unease as the drowning arm, and this sensation only worsened with the final illustration presented.

"These... were your friends, Jean-Georges?" Cadbury asked hesitatingly, just as confirmation. The Linoone's train of thought was headed somewhere. He didn't care for the direction it was aimed. "Friend... Just how old are you?" he asked, intrigued and perturbed enough to ask something a little rude.

Last edited:

Ida13

Gone For a While
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
Is this open and can I still submit a charecter?

Back