• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Typings that never sat right with you

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Surely there's got to be one or more Pokemon or evolution line that has felt wrong or lacking to you in typing. Explain what and why.

For me, Gyarados. Clearly intended to be Water/Dragon, yet never, even in Mega Evolution given it.
The original myth of the line is koi fish that become dragons.

But because it's a gen 1 Pokemon, and literally there were three Dragons in that game and only two moves, it's easy to see the limitations. Also due that its potential typing would make it the most OP Pokemon in the game, that's probably another reason. Flying gave it a 4x weakness.

But man, it'd be so much cooler as an actual Dragon type.

Last edited:

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Why the hell is Vibrava not a Bug-type?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
I would have preferred Pignite and Emboar to be Fire/Ground-types, since pigs generally love mud.

There is such thing as mud wrestling, and a large pig Pokémon is perfect for that concept.

Having a third Fire/Fighting-type Starter in a row is a disappointment if it lacks the bulk or speed to pull it off well competitively. I also feel that being another Fire/Fighting Starter robs the other Starter Pokémon of a great type combo, since Oshawott's evolutions deserved it, as they are samurais.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I'm very disappointed that Lilligant didn't get the Fairy type, but Whimsicott did. Lilligant really looks like a fairy.

Other Pokemon that deserved better include Noctowl (Psychic/Flying), Masquerain (Bug/Water), Luxray (Electric/Dark), Samurott (Water/Fighting), Gothitelle (Psychic/Dark), and Mega Blastoise (Water/Steel).

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Psyduck and Golduck can both use a wide range of Psychic attacks, yet both are only pure-Water types.

Gyarados is based on a sea dragon, yet it is Water-Flying instead of Water-Dragon. Even it's Mega Evolution isn't part-Dragon type.

Charizard on the other hand does have a Fire-Dragon typing for one of it's Mega Evolutions, but an ordinary Charizard should also have that typing since Charizard also ressembles a type of dragon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Plenty of them!

Pyroar is Fire/Normal? Why? Fire would've been just fine or make it a normal type with fire type moves.

Stunfisk is Electric/Ground , but is somehow found in water in almost every game since then?

Golduck is pure Water but has everything around it defined by it's psychic power. Even the pokedex talks about it yet it's not psychic.

Lilligant isn't a fairy type, but Whimsicott is?

Palkia really confused me for the longest time. Would it really be that hard to make it a Psychic/Dragon type?

Zeraora is pure electric, yet learns mostly physical moves and and fighting moves. It's dex entry talks about it ripping it's opponents apart. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty physical to me.

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
I'm on the same boat as Lysander about the Psyduck line, as well as a bunch of the suggestions here. I noticed, also, that many of the changes were concerning Pokemon that are ultimately useless in the metagame with their current typing.

For instance, Noctowl not being Psychic/Flying is a bummer, as is well-known, but what about some other Johto flops? Dunsparce could at least benefit a little from a Normal/Ground typing, and Stantler (you know, the deer with the hypnotic horns and the big butt) could really have benefited from a Normal/Psychic typing, putting it on par with Girafarig in one way or another. Heck, why not change Girafarig into a Psychic/Dark, with the Dark representing the little head on Girafarig's tail. Anything goes!

Sunflora is another problem, since this guy basically only exists to show that the Sun Stone has a use, despite Bellossom already doing it better. However, it is hard thinking of what secondary typing it should have. Mostly everyone will say Grass/Fairy, but I encountered an idea in a ROM Hack that made Sunflora Grass/Fire. Now there's an idea! Sunflora is using the Sun Stone to harness the power of fire! That's something you don't see every day!

As for the Hoenn tribe...hmm...I'd have to say that Zangoose fits the bill for a Normal/Poison type. I'm also unsure as to why Shuppet/Banette aren't Dark/Ghost yet, and Absol a Dark/Fighting type. Clamperl's evolutions could also have been buffed a bit, too, with Huntail being Water/Dark and Gorebyss being Water/Psychic.

Welp, there's my two cents. I'm betting there's some Sinnoh and Unova screw-ups somewhere, so I'll get to them soon.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
venonant.png

Can't unsee.

EDIT: I thought it was "things", not "typing". Well, damn. Close enough.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Ampharos should naturally be an Electric/Dragon. It was suppose to be one originally and the typing would benefit it. If Goodra, a slug thing, can be a dragon type so can Ampharos who kind of resembles a dragon. Johto needs more dragons anyways as the dragon trainers only have Kingdra and Dratini line to work with.

Years
^ Agreed. Not sure what caused them to change its type to Fairy... it's one of the last Fairy-looking things out there. :x

Solrock and Lunatone should've been Fire/Rock and Ice/Rock or something, respectively. It's really odd how Solrock can learn Flamethrower and Lunatone can learn Ice Beam but yet gain no STAB from those moves whatsoever. I understand that they're made of rock first and foremost, but what they represent is more important, imo.

and i know, the Sun isn't made of fire, but it still would've made sense anyway

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
^ Agreed. Not sure what caused them to change its type to Fairy... it's one of the last Fairy-looking things out there. :x

Snubbull and Granbull have both always been categorised as the "Fairy Pokémon" in their Pokédex entries since they were introduced in Gen 2.

Last edited:
Years
Snubbull and Granbull have both always been categorised as the "Fairy Pokémon" in their Pokédex entries since they were introduced in Gen 2.

I'm aware of that, I'm saying I disagree with their categorization of fairies compared with literally every other Fairy type that exists. :x

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Not necessarily what I think they should've been for balance purposes, but what I think they could've been based on their designs and/or movepools:

Charizard (Fire/Dragon)
Blastoise (Water/Steel because the cannons)
Psyduck and Golduck (Water/Psychic)
Seel (Water/Ice)
Cloyster (Water, Water/Rock, or Water/Poison. I love it as a Water/Ice-Type, but it doesn't really look icy at all.)
Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey (Fairy)
Kangaskhan (Ground/Fighting?)
Elekid, Electabuzz, and Electivire (Electric/Fighting since it's humanoid and learns punching moves)
Pinsir (Bug/Fighting)
Gyarados (Water/Dragon, even if it's visually based on a wind sock)
Dragonair (Dragon/Flying since it can fly in the anime and even has "air" in its name)
Croconaw and Feraligatr (Water/Dark)
Noctowl (Psychic/Flying)
Ampharos (Electric/Dragon)
Azurill, Marill, and Azumarill (Water. I'm guessing Fairy was only added for balance because I see nothing fairy-like about them.)
Misdreavus and Mismagius (Ghost/Psychic)
Dunsparce (Bug/Ground)
Snubbull (Normal/Fairy)
Granbull (Normal/Dark. I get Fairy for Snubbull since it looks like someone dressed a bulldog in a fairy tutu, but not so much Granbull.)
Stantler (Normal/Psychic)
Lugia (Water/Dragon)
Celebi (Fairy/Grass)
Masquerain (Bug/Water, and change its Dex entry to like water)
Vigoroth and Slaking (Normal/Fighting)
Mawile (Dark/Steel or Dark/Fairy)
Volbeat and Illumise (Bug/Electric)
Torkoal (Fire/Rock)
Grumpig (Psychic/Dark)
Trapinch (Bug/Ground)
Vibrava and Flygon (Bug/Dragon. If Nincada can lose its Ground typing when it evolves, so can Vibrava.)
Altaria (Normal/Flying)
Milotic (Water/Fairy)
Banette (Ghost/Dark)
Absol (Dark/Psychic, since it can predict disasters)
Huntail (Water/Dark)
Gorebyss (Water/Psychic)
Groudon (Ground/Fire. At least Primal Groudon got Fire.)
Jirachi (Fairy/Psychic)
Piplup, Prinplup, and Empoleon (Water/Ice)
Staraptor (Fighting/Flying)
Luxray (Electric/Dark)
Cherrim (Grass/Fairy)
Ambipom (Normal/Fighting)
Lucario (Fighting/Psychic)
Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf (Fairy/Psychic. They're even named after types of fairies: a pixie, a sprite, and an elf.)
Cresselia (Psychic/Fairy)
Manaphy (Water/Psychic)
Serperior (Grass/Dragon)
Dewott and Samurott (Water/Fighting)
Audino (Fairy or Normal/Fairy)
Petilil and Liligant (Grass/Fairy)
Darmanitan (Fire/Fighting)
Dwebble and Crustle (Rock or Rock/Water)
Gothita, Gothorita, and Gothitelle (Psychic/Dark)
Stunfisk (Water/Electric. I think I read somewhere that it was changed during development due to balance issues.)
Braviary (Fighting/Flying)
Meloetta (Fairy/Psychic and Fairy/Fighting)
Flabébé, Floette, and Florges (Grass/Fairy)
Helioptile and Heliolisk (Electric/Steel)
Goomy and Sliggoo (Water)
Goodra (Water/Dragon)
Rockruff and Midday Lycanroc (Rock/Normal)
Midnight Lycanroc (Rock/Dark)
Fomantis and Lurantis (Bug/Grass)
Stufful (Normal, only gains Fighting once it evolves.)
Tsareena (Grass/Fighting)
Comfey (Fairy/Grass)
Solgaleo (Fire/Psychic or Fire/Steel.)

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I've always thought Gyarados should be Water/Dragon, but at the same time, I guess that would kinda overshadow Kingdra. Finneon and Lumineon should be Water/Fairy also.

Last edited:

Eldaryon

Now the secret final Boss of every game you know.
Years
The Clamperl line deserves a little more love.
Gorebyss could be psychic and huntail steel or something.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
Not a specific Pokémon type gripe, but I've always been annoyed that Steel isn't effective against Dragons. It felt like it would've been the natural thing to do (swords slay dragons)

Back