• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do I choose which cards to use?

Defourthkitten

(InsetGaming)
Years
1.) So, I recently started trying to go away from just collecting pokemon cards to actually wanting to play it. I've read the rules and understand the game, but the game says for each person to have 60 cards...and I have more than 120 total cards. I don't just want to choose 120 random ones, because there could be a situation where most f the cards end up being trainers...and you can't just play with trainers (: I was wondering how any of you would approach this.
2.) Another problem is that I don't have nearly enough energies for my pokemon, especially for dragon type (I have 0 dragon energies), and I don't know if I should avoid using energies at all, or find a different way to use them. If i don't use them at all, then there (usually) isn't much of a point of choosing the lower damaging move, so I want to still have a way to use them.

Here is a slightly detailed summary of the pokemon cards I have.

I'm open to any questions!

Actual Pokemon (total=322)

Fire pokemon=24
Grass pokemon=48
Metal pokemon=16
Fairy pokemon=11
Fighting pokemon=31
Darkness pokemon=16
Psychic pokemon=32
Water pokemon=55
Electric pokemon=20
Dragon pokemon=10
Normal pokemon=59

Energies (total=143)

Wonder energy=1
Flash energy=1
Rainbow energy=1
Flame energy=1
Electric energy=19
Water energy=24
Psychic energy=19
Darkness energy=4
Fighting energy=16
Fairy energy=6
Metal energy=7
Grass energy=27
Dragon energy=0
Fire energy=17

Trainer cards (total=140)

Supporters=28
stadiums=8
Item=94

Grand Total=605 cards
There are NO duplicates other than energies and trainers

Years
So, what you may just wanna do is go pick up a Trainer Kit or one of these: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-...play-pikachu-and-lets-play-eevee-theme-decks/

And then teach yourself the game a bit better by actually playing, and then get some ideas on how to build. Because Energy are necessary to play the game, and Trainers are essential for a deck that actually gets you the cards you need when you need them. And you'll need more than 1 copy of each Pokemon for a deck that actually works and doesn't leave you with Pokemon you can't use in your hand because the Pokemon you have on the field can't evolve into them.

You want to focus on Pokemon that have synergy together.

Also go download the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online app/program. It has a tutorial built in explaining how each card functions and teaches you how each card type works: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Back