• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokemon Day Care [iPhone 6/6s]

New Menu Style or Old Menu Style (see post #7)

• Old Menu Style

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • New Menu Style

Votes: 44 86.3%

• Total voters

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years

POKEMON DAY CARE
for iPhone 6/6s

Hi all, this is a project I'm been working on for a while, and it is finally at a place where I deem it playable! I started this project to get better at my mobile programming skills, and I think that has been accomplished.

Pokemon Day Care is an app that lets you use your steps to hatch and level Pokemon. This isn't like Pokemon Go, though they have some similarities; but Pokemon Day Care is designed to work in the background (or even with the app off). Completely offline, all the data for the app is contained within the app itself, and all the steps are taken from your iPhone!

This project was made in Xcode, using the swift programming language. As this app was designed for myself, it is optimised for the iPhone 6/6s. This will not be available for android, and may not work effectively on other versions of the iPhone.

As I will presumably face trouble attempting to put this on the App Store, I have decided to release this adhoc (if at all). That means I will only be able to reach a limited amount of devices (100), but that's better than nothing I guess!

BACKSTORY

You are the trainer Gold! Professor Elm is undertaking more research regarding Pokemon and their bond between their trainers, and needs help. He is testing passive ways of levelling and nurturing Pokemon that does not require battling. Since Professor Oak labels you as a master hatcher, you agree to assist Elm in hatching and caring for Pokemon by simply walking with them. Professor Elm gives you a new Pokedex with a pedometer that converts your steps into experience for Pokemon.

Your research will not only help Professor Elm understand more about the importance of Pokemon bonding without battles, but also more about baby Pokemon and incredibly rare evidence of seldom seen Pokemon!

Spr_2s_172.png
Spr_2s_173.png
Spr_2s_174.png
Spr_2s_175.png
Spr_2g_236.png
Spr_2s_238.png
Spr_2g_239.png
Spr_2g_240.png

FEATURES

• Collecting eggs
  • Walking and Evolving Pokemon
  • Buying Items
  • Leaderboard of the 16 Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, the Champion, Red, and the titular characters
  • Collect the teams of the above trainers
  • Collect the badges
  • Multiplier for exp of Pokemon
  • Statistics
  • Pokedex
  • Events
  • All 251 Pokemon available

SCREENSHOTS

s1_zpskerfsrsv.png
SS5_zpsh6ssxfqj.png
SS4_zps5sjxbem6.png
SS2_zpsezqbj8ud.png
SS3_zpsheqljpgh.png
Simulator%20Screen%20Shot%2029%20Sep%202016%209.29.11%20PM_zpsyojdjcsp.png
Simulator%20Screen%20Shot%2029%20Sep%202016%209.28.56%20PM_zpsgl70yzri.png
Simulator%20Screen%20Shot%2029%20Sep%202016%209.29.19%20PM_zpshodfqf44.png
s5_zpsvmzqgbh9.png
s4_zpsxwwikkoh.png

CREDITS

Nintendo and Gamefreak
desbrina
bulbapedia

FUTURE UPDATES

I'm currently taking a small break from working on this project, but I hope to include these in future updates:
  1. Shiny Pokemon
  2. IVs and EVs
  3. 6 Pokemon Team changable
  4. Different egg sprites
  5. All generations in GSC form
  6. Battling
  7. More teams
  8. More achievements

TUTORIAL

Playing the game is fairly simple - so simple I haven't coded in any tutorials or such. Simply hit COLLECT on the home screen to synchronize your steps with those in your phone. From there, you can use those steps to purchase items (POKEMART), or hatch and level your pokemon.

HATCHING/LEVELING

To hatch/level your pokemon, click POKEMON on the home screen. From there click any of your Pokemon, and there will be a status screen. The third partition has an entry box, which allows you to enter steps. If your hatching an egg, it will cap at the amount of steps left to hatch OR your maximum steps. If you're leveling a pokemon, it will cap at the max exp OR your maximum steps.

EVOLVING

If your Pokemon is legible to evolve, an EVOLVE button will appear next to happiness on the first partition. It will evolve when the button is pressed, and will take the necessary items it needs to do so. For Pokemon with multiple evolutions, a choice will be given to you to pick from the evolutions. You will have the option to get multiple eggs of the same Pokemon, correlating on branched evolutions. It is recommended you evolve Pokemon so you have one of each branch evolution, otherwise you will not be able to complete the Pokedex.

Pokemon that evolve via trade (or trading with items) will require a Link Cable from the POKEMART. Tyrogue will evolve into its evolutions regardless of its stats.

TEAMS

Most of the notable trainers within the G/S/C games have collectable teams. You can check these within the TEAMS screen. Each time you complete a team, you will gain a MULTIPLIER to your steps, which caps at 2.5x your original step amount (+0.1 for each completed team). Completing teams helps greatly with leveling pokemon and topping the leader board.

LEADERBOARD

Each of the notable trainers also has a spot on the leaderboard. This leaderboard is a custom algorithm which updates once daily. The best trainers usually reside at the top, and sometimes break away from the pack with their sheer amount of steps, but sometimes a dark horse can ride through and match the pace of the big ones.

Attachments

• PokemonDayCareS3.ipa.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 304
Last edited:

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
This looks like a great idea! It feels like Neko Atsume but for Pokemon and better haha
I love the mockups you have so far, definitely seems like you put a lot of effort into this :)

The team idea is great - definitely gives a goal for the user: just a question, though - would we get random eggs, or do we get to choose, or do we put Pokemon in the daycare?

Some things I'd like to see:
-Pokemon individuality (so maybe I can get the same Pokemon twice, but they'll have different nicknames, personalities, food preferences, etc) - this would be just a couple of extra variables for the Pokemon, so I don't think it'd be too hard
-different environments for the field-Pokemon to move around in
-maybe some toys / objects to interact with on the field (the interaction would be a lot of work) that you can earn by walking around

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
This looks like a great idea! It feels like Neko Atsume but for Pokemon and better haha
I love the mockups you have so far, definitely seems like you put a lot of effort into this :)

Haha thank you! Is that the cat one? Because that one looks cool but I haven't played it yet! Should give it a try!

The team idea is great - definitely gives a goal for the user: just a question, though - would we get random eggs, or do we get to choose, or do we put Pokemon in the daycare?

Thank you! My teams are the favourite as well, though I'm considering staggering the difficulty so you don't have to get a team of six straight off the bat cause that seems a little hard!

As for the eggs, you find them as you walk! For now they are planned to be random, but I'm thinking the more steps you get the higher chance of a rarer Pokemon. It also depends on where you walk, as different areas have different Pokemon in them!

You don't put them in the daycare, that's just there as a background :) !

Some things I'd like to see:
-Pokemon individuality (so maybe I can get the same Pokemon twice, but they'll have different nicknames, personalities, food preferences, etc) - this would be just a couple of extra variables for the Pokemon, so I don't think it'd be too hard
-different environments for the field-Pokemon to move around in
-maybe some toys / objects to interact with on the field (the interaction would be a lot of work) that you can earn by walking around

Those all sound like good ideas!

For now I had planned for it to be you get one of each species (including split evolutions), just so the array of Pokemon would be easy, but I think multiples could work!

The environments sound cool, too! I know I'm planning to have different backgrounds for when you walk to different areas (you can't interact with them unfortunately - it's just for aesthetic)

And the interaction sounds cool! I could make a page for field Pokemon that's split stats and Pokemon-Amie! That could take work, so maybe if I get far enough :) !

Thank you for commenting :) !

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Haha yeah Neko Atsume is the popular cat collecting one

You could base some teams off trainer classes, so maybe like Youngster team is a bunch of Ratata and Sentrets, Hiker is Geodudes, etc

Are you storing the Pokemon in an array? That could work (you'd have to keep track of which ones are already caught & generate a random index according to that, but that shouldn't be too hard) I'm thinking you could actually store hatched Pokemon as an ArrayList/Vector, so you can add multiple ones to it, and keep a separate array for the Pokedex to keep track of what you already caught (probably just a boolean array, where the index = pokedex number and true = caught)

I've never worked with Swift so I'm not too sure how it works (I use an Android phone haha) but that way whenever you hatch an egg you can just generate a new Pokemon & add it to the Party/Hatched ArrayList, and check the Pokedex to see if it's already caught. Team Achievements are also pretty easy too then cause they can just check the correspond Pokedex index :)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Haha yeah Neko Atsume is the popular cat collecting one

You could base some teams off trainer classes, so maybe like Youngster team is a bunch of Ratata and Sentrets, Hiker is Geodudes, etc

That's a good idea! I wanted to do it with popular characters like Joey and the like, but there aren't many of those characters! I'll need to find out if it's just for achievements or if collecting the teams will grant rewards (leader teams grant badges, and professor teams grant starter eggs, but that's all I know for sure)

Are you storing the Pokemon in an array? That could work (you'd have to keep track of which ones are already caught & generate a random index according to that, but that shouldn't be too hard) I'm thinking you could actually store hatched Pokemon as an ArrayList/Vector, so you can add multiple ones to it, and keep a separate array for the Pokedex to keep track of what you already caught (probably just a boolean array, where the index = pokedex number and true = caught)

That's a great idea! The Field will be an array cause it's a fixed length, but the PC can be a vector cause it won't be a fixed length. The index numbers as pokedex is a great idea, but I have to be careful with Pokemon like eevee; you are able to catch 7 in total as you need all the eeveelutions

I've never worked with Swift so I'm not too sure how it works (I use an Android phone haha) but that way whenever you hatch an egg you can just generate a new Pokemon & add it to the Party/Hatched ArrayList, and check the Pokedex to see if it's already caught. Team Achievements are also pretty easy too then cause they can just check the correspond Pokedex index :)

Yea, and then I can narrow it down depending on the area it was in, the steps taken, and the partner, etc etc etc! Nice ideas :) !

Leon Draceus

Palette Works Leader
Years
Wow, keep working to complete it. This is the very first Pokemon App that I really want to play! (except Pokemon Shuffle & Trading Card Online haha)
Well, when you completed this App, will you turn it into an Android Apk?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Wow, keep working to complete it. This is the very first Pokemon App that I really want to play! (except Pokemon Shuffle & Trading Card Online haha)
Well, when you completed this App, will you turn it into an Android Apk?

That's great to hear, thank you!

And for now I don't think I'll try converting it to Andriod :( , doesn't seem within my skill range. Thanks for the comment :) !

------------​

On another note, I'm not really digging the menu as much as I was before, could I get some feedback on what is more appealing? The ones on the left or the ones on the right. Cheers everyone :) !

Pokefarm_Menu_zpsltfjdpvg.png
- >
Pokefarm_Menu2_zps4qjf7dri.png

Pokefarm_Teams_zps40bbn5bv.png
- >
Pokefarm_Teams2_zpsgyn8crot.png

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I have another feature that I think would be good, and one or two more that I haven't quite articulated yet that could be cool!

The first one: a leaderboard! I remember playing ratchet: gladiator and loving the rank-o-meter - seeing yourself slowly move up those ranks is really rewarding!

latest

God knows why, but I've always loved that feature on the game! So I'd like to recreate it on this little app!

Pokefarm_Leaderboard_zpsathskupl.png

Steps refers to actual steps, and points are calculated by steps, as well as daily bonuses, multipliers, and other variables!
Of course, the empty lines will be filled with AIs whose steps and points will increase daily! Most of the Johto trainers will be in it, from Youngster Joey to Champion Lance! Of course, difficulty of AIs will be different in comparison to in-game trainers, leaders, champions, and manga counterparts. Hopefully that will motivate to get those 10,000 steps!

I'm also considering a "battle" like thing where you must get a certain amount of steps to get badges and beat the elite four and etcetera.

What do you guys think :) ?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Okay all, added a lot of data regarding Pokemon areas, the store, and the teams.

All teams will have trainers on the leaderboard - so over 50 people to compete against! How exciting!

Are there any Pokemon you'd like to see included in this game?
Are there any HGSS trainers you'd like to see as a team/on the leaderboard?

Let me know :) !

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Seems you've come a long way haha too bad I have an Android phone
Have you started the implementation yet or are you still just sketching out ideas?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Seems you've come a long way haha too bad I have an Android phone
Have you started the implementation yet or are you still just sketching out ideas?

Still in the idea phase! Though very close to starting it! I've just got to iron out a few more details before I'm comfortable with starting it!

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Pokefarm_Battle_zpsjnsuqx0f.png

I think that is the last idea I need to have sketched out - battles! Of course, there aren't moves or HP or stats in this game, so it's rather trainer v trainer rather than pokemon v pokemon. If you get the most steps within a certain time limit you win the battle! How does that sound :) ?

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Pokefarm_Battle_zpsjnsuqx0f.png

I think that is the last idea I need to have sketched out - battles! Of course, there aren't moves or HP or stats in this game, so it's rather trainer v trainer rather than pokemon v pokemon. If you get the most steps within a certain time limit you win the battle! How does that sound :) ?

I like the idea of battles - just one thing, though; I like the idea of a pedometer game cause I don't have to be looking at my screen to play it, and it can just be an extra reward for walking around and something to check during breaks, but a race might be difficult for people who don't have the time to specifically walk for a battle (plus that might involve having to look at your phone while walking/running or a timer notification)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I like the idea of battles - just one thing, though; I like the idea of a pedometer game cause I don't have to be looking at my screen to play it, and it can just be an extra reward for walking around and something to check during breaks, but a race might be difficult for people who don't have the time to specifically walk for a battle (plus that might involve having to look at your phone while walking/running or a timer notification)

Hmmm... the game's main appeal is that most of the hard work is done while your phone is idle, so you are right there! But battles with timers are the only way I could think to fit battles organically into the mechanics. To combat the need to constantly look at your phone I was thinking of giving a hint to how to beat them beforehand: i.e. take a 15min walk, 10 min run, etc.

The times for battles won't be long at all, so hopefully people would be able to take some time to attempt them! I know the aim of this game is get people moving, so having people make the time to exercise would be a great accomplishment for me!

I'll leave it there like that for now, but if it's received badly by other people I'll rework that mechanic! (since this game was meant for me only I was gonna have Lance be an hour jog haha, that may have to change!)

But as always, thank you for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated :) !

isael-21

Just a computer guy
Years
Great idea, man! I always thought of this (and My Pokemon Ranch wasn't quite the farm game I was looking for). Even if just to hone your skills, I hope you continue on with the project and hopefully if source code is provided, for it to be brought to us Android guys =) I'd love to try it, specially with all my lame-o walks.

Best of luck!

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Great idea, man! I always thought of this (and My Pokemon Ranch wasn't quite the farm game I was looking for). Even if just to hone your skills, I hope you continue on with the project and hopefully if source code is provided, for it to be brought to us Android guys =) I'd love to try it, specially with all my lame-o walks.

Best of luck!

Thank you!
If someone can figure out how to make it with Android, be my guest!
(Admittedly I am doing mobile development in Android for university, but I don't have an android phone haha)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I've finalised all of the mock-up screens! Hurrah!

I'll update the first post shortly, but for now here they are: (please not I've used placeholders in many places, they aren't going to be 10 teams of 6 chanseys.. tho i love chansey)

Spoiler:

I won't begin coding until next week because university's begun again, but before that I thought I would start to see if anyone wanted to help me code this thing! It will be done in swift using either swift of objective-C (leaning towards swift), so if you think you'd like to help reply in this thread :) !

Also, I'd like some feedback on the new screens, I'm still not 100% in love with the walking one (the last one)

Cheers all!

Years
Wow your game looks amazing and it has so damn cool ideas :)

I just want to see some little minigames or interactions with the Pokemon, so that you have something to do apart from walking. It would be very nice, if you could interact with them ^^

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Wow your game looks amazing and it has so damn cool ideas :)

I just want to see some little minigames or interactions with the Pokemon, so that you have something to do apart from walking. It would be very nice, if you could interact with them ^^

Thank you!

Pokemon interaction would be quite a feature! Something like Poke amie would be cool after I get battles to work, or maybe even something like Pokethlon or Pokemon Stadium minigames :) !

Back