• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
  1. RNG your favorite Pokémon of the "_____" type!
  2. Prepare for trouble... RNG a Pokémon used by Team Rocket!
  3. Get out of your comfort zone: RNG a Pokémon you've never used before.
  4. Who's your parallel? RNG a Pokémon that matches your personality and explain why you chose said 'mon.
  5. The trusty talisman: RNG a Pokémon you've always relied upon. What about that Pokémon motivates you to where it never seems to leave your side?

Might come up with some more later. But this is more along the lines of what you were looking for, right? =3
I like this one, "Get out of your comfort zone: RNG a Pokémon you've never used before." Although I don't use 80% of what I RNG anyway. x3

EB

Re: World
Years
Yeah, that one was definitely the most credible. Just kind of thinking out loud... you can use all or none of what you find. =p

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
  4. Who's your parallel? RNG a Pokémon that matches your personality and explain why you chose said 'mon.
  5. The trusty talisman: RNG a Pokémon you've always relied upon. What about that Pokémon motivates you to where it never seems to leave your side?

Might come up with some more later. But this is more along the lines of what you were looking for, right? =3

Hot damn! Those were definitely along the lines of things I was looking for! I happen to like every one of them :3 *scribbles them down*

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
Thought I'd get a little more practice in today. (Getting ready to go to the midnight release for Mass Effect 3 and that game will be my life for at least a week.) Anyway, here are the Pokémon that I decided to RNG after that Growlithe.

004.png
231.gif
004.png

Phanpy
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Impish | Pick Up | 31 31 31 01 31 31
Earthquake | Body Slam | Defense Curl | Growl

004.png
079.gif
004.png

Slowpoke
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Modest | Regenerator | 31 02 31 31 31 31
Scald | Ice Beam | Toxic | Grass Knot

004.png
325.gif
004.png

Spoink
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Calm | Thick Fat | 31 30 31 31 31 31
Psychic | Substitute | Splash​

oocyst

SOFTware
Years

I love these, and now I'm getting all excited about them! I want to do more challenges!

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Hello!
Well, may I join this club? Firstly, I just need help and I also like RNG abuse. It allows you to get very good Pokemon/shiny Pokemon. Well, I always have problems with hitting my delay...I think I'll have to recalibrate. I may be able to hit a certain number of seconds, but delays are a different thing. I guess that they keep changing every time.
I'll be posting my very first HGSS RNG abuse (I only have HeartGold) after I can get rid of my problems with hitting my delay. Timers don't really help me.
I'll be following the challenges when I can finish my first project.
Thanks!

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Thought I'd get a little more practice in today. (Getting ready to go to the midnight release for Mass Effect 3 and that game will be my life for at least a week.) Anyway, here are the Pokémon that I decided to RNG after that Growlithe.

004.png
231.gif
004.png

Phanpy
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Impish | Pick Up | 31 31 31 01 31 31
Earthquake | Body Slam | Defense Curl | Growl

004.png
079.gif
004.png

Slowpoke
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Modest | Regenerator | 31 02 31 31 31 31
Scald | Ice Beam | Toxic | Grass Knot

004.png
325.gif
004.png

Spoink
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Calm | Thick Fat | 31 30 31 31 31 31
Psychic | Substitute | Splash​

Hot damn, someone's on a roll. Keep up the great work :D I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Hello!
Well, may I join this club? Firstly, I just need help and I also like RNG abuse. It allows you to get very good Pokemon/shiny Pokemon. Well, I always have problems with hitting my delay...I think I'll have to recalibrate. I may be able to hit a certain number of seconds, but delays are a different thing. I guess that they keep changing every time.
I'll be posting my very first HGSS RNG abuse (I only have HeartGold) after I can get rid of my problems with hitting my delay. Timers don't really help me.
I'll be following the challenges when I can finish my first project.
Thanks!

Of course you may join this club, RGF! Well, timers should help you, so you need to keep working with it. How far off are you? Is it like 2-6ms or like 50ms? Or even maybe the seconds? Let me know.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
, RGF! Well, timers should help you, so you need to keep working with it. How far off are you? Is it like 2-6ms or like 50ms? Or even maybe the seconds? Let me know.

FYI: for those in need of a timer the one I use that helps is a JavaScript one which I can use on my phone. I tried two others which did not help me and I was trying to rely on just a clock. The JavaScript timer really opened my RnG experience a lot.
http://prng.infos.cx/timer.html

Mac:
Thanks for starting this group. I think this is a way cool way to share out collective RNG experiences. I'm so on board!!

Current challenge.... Hmmm... Most of my favorites I have recently bred and I don't want to repeat so soon... I think something from the trophy garden as a wild encounter... Partially because I happen to like Cute Pokemon, and partially I have never done a wild RNG and I want to finally try.

Future Challenge Ideas:
I was at Genericon all weekend and a Pokemon fan there said he wanted a Shiny Bidoof because it was his favorite really bad poke. My idea: breed or catch a shiny of a less than favorable Pokemon with a bad nature, and low IV's... But bonus points if it has a high hidden power(even more bonus points if it's a hidden power that is 70 but would not normally be a good choice for that species). I think it could be a very, very creative challenge...

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
FYI: for those in need of a timer the one I use that helps is a JavaScript one which I can use on my phone. I tried two others which did not help me and I was trying to rely on just a clock. The JavaScript timer really opened my RnG experience a lot.
http://prng.infos.cx/timer.html

Mac:
Thanks for starting this group. I think this is a way cool way to share out collective RNG experiences. I'm so on board!!

Current challenge.... Hmmm... Most of my favorites I have recently bred and I don't want to repeat so soon... I think something from the trophy garden as a wild encounter... Partially because I happen to like Cute Pokemon, and partially I have never done a wild RNG and I want to finally try.

Future Challenge Ideas:
I was at Genericon all weekend and a Pokemon fan there said he wanted a Shiny Bidoof because it was his favorite really bad poke. My idea: breed or catch a shiny of a less than favorable Pokemon with a bad nature, and low IV's... But bonus points if it has a high hidden power(even more bonus points if it's a hidden power that is 70 but would not normally be a good choice for that species). I think it could be a very, very creative challenge...

I recommend EonTimer -- that's what I use and it really helps. That JavaScript Timer I've really had issues with, never been able to figure it out. Welcome, though! An interesting idea, reminds me of my lulzfisk I did XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I recommend EonTimer -- that's what I use and it really helps. That JavaScript Timer I've really had issues with, never been able to figure it out. Welcome, though! An interesting idea, reminds me of my lulzfisk I did XD

I tried PikaTimer when I first started to RNG with bad luck, then Eon Timer... In both cases I found I was having to manually change the delay by a lot to get even close. I find that the time from when I hit A on the DS to when I hit A on the continue screen is four seconds longer than my calculated delay would indicate. I just find it easier since I know that, to do my own math and calculate the time needed. I also like the added bonus of using it on my iPhone. I find that I more accurately start the timer and the game at the same time using the phone than the computer. I felt even when using the space bar to start that a timer on the computer felt like it had an unpredictable delay and fail to sync.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
Years
May I join?

I'm an RNG n00b, I only know 5 gen and I only RNGed natures and IV's..
because I was always too lazy to learn more (and because I don't like 90% of the shinies so i don't have much motivation >.>).

Maybe being here will motivate me to do more xD

I will try to do the challenge tomorrow, firstly I have to make RNG Reporter work on my computer..
new Linux, still no WINE, so no .net, and I bet that this little things will give me some trouble today >.>

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I tried PikaTimer when I first started to RNG with bad luck, then Eon Timer... In both cases I found I was having to manually change the delay by a lot to get even close. I find that the time from when I hit A on the DS to when I hit A on the continue screen is four seconds longer than my calculated delay would indicate. I just find it easier since I know that, to do my own math and calculate the time needed. I also like the added bonus of using it on my iPhone. I find that I more accurately start the timer and the game at the same time using the phone than the computer. I felt even when using the space bar to start that a timer on the computer felt like it had an unpredictable delay and fail to sync.

Oh, alright. Well, honestly just use whatever works for you. That's cool though since I could never figure out how to use that damned javascript timer... lol.

May I join?

because I was always too lazy to learn more (and because I don't like 90% of the shinies so i don't have much motivation >.>).

I will try to do the challenge tomorrow, firstly I have to make RNG Reporter work on my computer..
new Linux, still no WINE, so no .net, and I bet that this little things will give me some trouble today >.>

Sure, you can join, but I will warn you that trying to get RNG Reporter to run under Linux is a huge pain. I could never get it working so I used a ...free... copy of Windows to run it in VirtualBox.

EB

Years
I've been Googling and I think I've gone through at least three different guides by now, trying to find out how RNGing actually works. All the guides I've read only seem to talk about what the individual needs to do to get their proper Pokémon; they never seem to explain how they game processes the information we feed it to give us the results we're looking for.

I think that if we did more to elaborate this, more people would be able to grasp the entire picture, maybe even without other forms of communication outside of text. Without this information, they'll just dive in, mess things up, and start bombarding others with noob questions about why they didn't get their flawless shiny legendary. (And we all know we've been guilty of similar issues.) By giving examples of mistakes and how the game responds in patterns during such mistakes, we could also help explain to people how the game spat out the results it did--ultimately narrowing down the possible things the person messed up on.

This way they don't have to restart, praying they get every single little detail on the bulls-eye, without even really knowing what went wrong. They'll be able to pinpoint the human error and eliminate it within the first few tries, knowing full well that none of the other elements were the issue. All this is really offering is just the proper means of practice; if the individual was without a clue as to what went wrong, if they're smart they'll end up looking for the thing that caused their problem: they'll try to control all but one function and fluctuate that one while the others remain fixed. If that wasn't it, they'll do so with another function, ultimately leading to a ridiculously grueling process of trial and error.

If you get what I'm saying, does anyone else agree with this? Or have I simply been looking in the wrong places, where the game's processing hasn't been addressed?

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
Years
Sure, you can join, but I will warn you that trying to get RNG Reporter to run under Linux is a huge pain. I could never get it working so I used a ...free... copy of Windows to run it in VirtualBox.
Hm?
I made it work previously on Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 15..
I can't say that it "worked just fine" but it worked "fine enough" xD

It calculated everything right.. things like "invisible checkboxes" were annoying but not impossible to deal with :3

@earth boy

Well, to be frank.. people are stupid.

RNG guides are already long and complicated for a newbie.. but are written in a way that gives everyone an equal chance to RNG, without much knowledge about programming, algorithms etc.

To explain not only how to do it, but also how it works.. that would be much longer and complicated.
I don't think anyone has enough patience to do that.
Especially since there are really little people who want to know "how it works", most just want to "get the perfect pokemon".

I would love to understand completely everything about RNG, but I don't believe that anyone will be so kind end explain me something this complicated..
the only choice is to become good with hacking myself XD

Or for nintendo to give the source code of their games to the public, but that is just a stupid dream *.*

Last edited:

EB

Years
RNG guides are already long and complicated for a newbie.. but are written in a way that gives everyone an equal chance to RNG, without much knowledge about programming, algorithms etc.

To explain not only how to do it, but also how it works.. that would be much longer and complicated.
I don't think anyone has enough patience to do that.
Especially since there are really little people who want to know "how it works", most just want to "get the perfect pokemon".

I would love to understand completely everything about RNG, but I don't believe that anyone will be so kind end explain me something this complicated..

When I posted, I didn't mean specifically all the algorithms and numbers associated with how the game works, just specific patterns that the game goes through that give just the right amount of evidence we need to say, "Oh, you forgot to do [x]" or "this was off by [x] amount," etc.

I completely agree that going through the game coding would be ridiculously tiresome and very few people would have the patience to read such a document to begin with. But if we can categorize specific mistakes, noobs like myself will have the evidence in front of them they need, informing them what specifically went wrong--even if they're still overwhelmed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
May I join?

Yeah, you pretty much have to like the look of the shiny to want to put the effort in... But sometimes the final evolution will look awsome so that's what I go by. I've been working on my collection of shinies based on which ones I personally like, either because I like the Poke or because I like the coloration on that particular one.... But in my case there are less than half I dont like... So I'm pretty much working on collecting all eventually.

EB

Years
Might as well put this here... The other RNG Mac helped me out with a while ago:

498.gif

Tepig | Level 5
eb | 46682 | White
Adamant | Blaze | 31 31 31 05 31 31
Tackle | Tail Whip | - | - |​

Props to Legendary FSK for being first to show me the layout. =]

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, my seconds might be messed up. It's random every time. I tried calibrating yesterday and got 11 seconds for each of my calibration attempts (I did it twice).
There was one time I calibrated and I got 14 seconds. My delay rate is 497-513.
Weirdly, how could the seconds rate change? And using timers is a bit hard...it runs pretty fast. Should I use it with speakers? My first calibration was a Moltres capture in Mt. Silver and my second and third calibrations were a Zapdos capture in the Power Plant. Maybe that will help clear things up?
And also...a bit off-topic, but I'm wondering if someone can help me check the IVs of my newest but still unavailable RNG abuse project later on... I use HeartGold to RNG, which is a pain due to delays. Black and White RNG abuse is less of a pain, but I use a flash cart. (So much for getting Nobunaga's Rayquaza...and so much for getting Zekrom)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2020
I'll join too, I know 5th gen standard, egg, and a little cgear abuse...

I'm struggling with both Entralink RNG and TID/SID abuse in 4th gen.
For my Entralink RNG, I'm consistently hitting within 5 frames of my target delay (5225, if anyone is curious) but I can never exactly hit my frame. It's frustrating, to say the least, and I've spent close to 5 hours trying to get it right. Anyone have any hints?

That and I just don't understand ID RNG in Plainum. At all.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, maybe I know something? ID RNG should be RNG abusing your TID/SID for a Shiny Pokemon, right?
I know that one in Platinum. I've done that for about three times (these are the times when I succeeded).
It's pretty simple. Should I explain here? And I'm talking about RNG abusing to get Shiny Pokemon by hatching eggs, not catching Shiny Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back