• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider yourself a good battler?

Sirfetch’d

Really up to you what "good" means. It can mean anywhere from having a basic understanding of the metagame to having in depth knowledge that puts you at an advantage in nearly every matchup. But at any rate, do you consider yourself to be a good battler? Do you feel like you have an understanding of the metagame? What tier(s) are you best at?

Sirfetch’d

I really haven't battled competitively since BW. I remember being really into UU and Ubers in that time period, and I had so much fun with it! Afterwards though, I felt like I was a terrible battler simply because EVs are a lot more complicated than simply throwing 252/252/4 on most things and that's where I kinda just gave up, really. I couldn't figure out what EVs were appropriate for wihch Pokemon for which movesets and sometimes I felt like I was completely on my own on figuring out the optimal EV spreads which made me feel stupid.

Fwiw most players rely on analysis to get their EV spreads. I know I do. You really only need to learn how to properly EV a mon if you are specifically EVing to counter a specific mon. And this isn't that hard to do with a calc. Though it is the most tedious part of teambuilding I suppose.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
No, I choke really often and end up punching myself in the neck half the time.

A lack of self control while growing up meant that I would usually resort to guides and walkthroughs for games instead of using my head. This situation also applies to games I play now (including competitive Pokémon), where I'm usually in a good/decent situation but end up forgetting something or not thinking enough steps ahead, costing me the game.

If I could think a bit more when I'm playing, I think I would be on the road to becoming good. Another thing I'm looking to improve on is knowing what my win conditions are and also knowing what my opponent's win conditions are. This is very important and I think sometimes I screw this up in team preview.

Years
I have my moments but in general no. I'm a decent teambuilder I guess but when it comes to actually battling I'm prone to making instinctive moves and then realising a fraction too late how bad an idea they were. Or I'll overthink and make bad predictions. Etc.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I used to ladder a bit and experiment with new teams during the first PCL, but while I had some success (lower ladder of course), I was only truly confident with just one specific team, which I took from one of Anti's RMT threads and made some changes with Pokémon I enjoy using (Scarf Lando <3) and then a few others to take care of some threats.

I don't think I'm a great battler but I think given enough time and practice, anyone can be a decent battler once they get to know their teams' strength and weaknesses. And even if you're not great at team building, you'll probably be forced to make changes for the better after some practice if you notice your team does terribly against specific threats.

At this point I've definitely not been battling enough to be confident with any team, though I'd like to work on that once I'm done with exams. I do REALLY bad against stall teams though, throw in a Chansey and Stealth Rock in your team and I'm probably going to lose. I need to work on predictions and double switching, at least against those types of teams.

I've not played SM much but I know the OU tier well enough, though I'd really like to get back into LC.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Sort of yes, but I need to ladder more. I sometimes click on the "obvious" move/switch without reconsidering better options, but I've gotten better at stopping that habit. I'm pretty satisfied with my battling skills aside from needing to practice and learn SM OU.
No.

I really haven't battled competitively since BW. I remember being really into UU and Ubers in that time period, and I had so much fun with it! Afterwards though, I felt like I was a terrible battler simply because EVs are a lot more complicated than simply throwing 252/252/4 on most things and that's where I kinda just gave up, really. I couldn't figure out what EVs were appropriate for wihch Pokemon for which movesets and sometimes I felt like I was completely on my own on figuring out the optimal EV spreads which made me feel stupid.
Copy Smogon's EVs and add or remove Spe EVs according to what you want to outrun. I remember custom min/maxing my EVs, using the damage calc to determine EVs to avoid KOes from specific Pokemon, etc. Good times. I don't bother doing that much anymore lol.

VoltYellow

And then Everyone Dies™
Years
So far I think I was not good at battling but my friends taught me certain things to observe in the opponent team. This includes you to think what move the Pokémon can have check their ability and even weakness if required
Hope this help the beginner to battle more effectively

Reactions: Cay

Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
Years
I don't think I'm even close to being "good" since I'm still learning about true battling.
I did notice a slight improvement in the Battle Tree, though, so maybe I'm on the right path.

Sirfetch’d

I'm fairly decent, but not good enough to enter tournaments.

I do the the best in random battles and UU.

Have you thought about entering one of our forum tournaments? I know you don't think you are good enough, but that shouldn't stop you. Entering them is the best way to test the waters and improve! The ones we host are fairly lighthearted and it's never a big deal if you lose. It'd be a great learning experience and a load of fun.

Years
Have you thought about entering one of our forum tournaments? I know you don't think you are good enough, but that shouldn't stop you. Entering them is the best way to test the waters and improve! The ones we host are fairly lighthearted and it's never a big deal if you lose. It'd be a great learning experience and a load of fun.

I thought of joining one, but i'd be to busy with other things to battle/make teams. Do you guys host anything during the summer? Then i'd most likely join.

Sirfetch’d

I thought of joining one, but i'd be to busy with other things to battle/make teams. Do you guys host anything during the summer? Then i'd most likely join.

We host short tournaments on the server daily, usually OU or quick randoms. Otherwise we will be having tournaments available in the main BTB forum at all times, including this summer!

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

I feel the same sometimes too but end up joining anyway. Making a good team in a format you're not familiar with is hard but who knows; you might end up winning a round or two or all of them!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
Not at all. I am pretty well versed when it comes to common threats in each metagame, and strategies to look out for. But I'm not too good at teambuilding, and sometimes I overpredict which leads to some poor decisions.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I'm just average. In my younger years I considered myself good, but after I did my first tournament online I needed to change my mind about. I work a lot on building a team, but it's annoying to find out that after a lot of training the Pokémon wasn't good enough to fit in my team. I still need a lot of work.

Back