• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Wasted Potential

Years
I think I've asked this before a while back, but what is an anime or manga series that you feel could have been great, but that in the end turned out to be sub par? What would you have changed to make that series as good as it could have been?

pkmin3033

Lots and lots and LOTS of anime that are based on light novels and are held back because the light novels haven't been finished yet. Yona of the Dawn springs to mind here as a show I quite enjoyed but felt trailed off at the worst possible time.

Tales of Zestiria the X would have been much better if they'd spent less time on Zestiria material and more time on Berseria material...or not had that one episode which they used to promote Berseria's release. It had a MUCH better ending than the game, but with no prior knowledge of Berseria, it wouldn't have meant much.

Also, Dokidoki Precure could have been SO much better if they'd kept the momentum going after the Cure Ace reveal and not spent so much time on Aguri, who was a poor substitute for Regina.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Unlike trash like Fairy Tail, Naruto started off great in part 1 and declined in part 2 and completely derailed by the climax of the war arc with the BS power ups and kaguya. Gai vs Madara was legit the only thing I really enjoyed from the war arc. I wish it didnt turn into a pseudo DBZ starring ninja jesus and his emo boyfriend

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Magical Warfare.

That anime was such a waste of potential that even the AUTHOR hated it. I hated it, too. It started out promising, but then about four episodes in, it was garbage.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The Pokemon anime itself had great potential.

Imagine if they had expanded on the games and kept in seasonal, or almost like an anthology with each season being a new region and game.

Especially if it was aimed at an older audience; like imagine the main character having a Paras and then losing his best friend to the spores when he chose to evolve it. Or just delving deep in the darker mythology hinted at in the Pokedex.

They could probably even make a horror series like that.

Literally anything but what they did had so much actual potential.

Years
Wasted potential? Charlotte comes to mind. Its pacing was completely atrocious and compressed what could have been a full season into what was basically just the final two(? - idr how many episodes it actually took because it's been a couple years since I finished it) episodes, and its pacing was wholly out of whack even before then, too.

Back