• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon TRE2: Team Rocket Edition, The Revamped Episode

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
so much features!! :O

are you gonna add mega evolutions? it's in the evolution line, too :P i know that you like old school pokemon, but they look awesome.

i don't know if you mentioned before, what is your plans for non-level up evolutions? for example; kadabra, slowpoke, haunter etc.

btw, i think this animation is better for egg hatching:
https://youtu.be/aUZj_fI7cR4?t=7m19s

you got really good ideas, i can't wait to play!

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
so much features!! :O

are you gonna add mega evolutions? it's in the evolution line, too :P i know that you like old school pokemon, but they look awesome.

Some certainly look awesome, others...not so much.

i don't know if you mentioned before, what is your plans for non-level up evolutions? for example; kadabra, slowpoke, haunter etc.

I plan on removing all trade evolution methods. Although I haven't implemented anything yet, I plan on there being 15 different ways to evolve, and each one will have variations (for example, some pokemon will evolve in a certain map, so the variations will be the different maps that each pokemon can evolve in)

btw, i think this animation is better for egg hatching:
https://youtu.be/aUZj_fI7cR4?t=7m19s

Thanks, I'm definitely going to add some cracks and an 'bursting' scenario to explain why the screen goes white before the pokemon gets shown.

you got really good ideas, i can't wait to play!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
Maybe I am stupid and I missed something somewhere...but I thought that first gen games like R/B/Y could be in colours if played in SGB mode...wouldn't that solve the problem of the greyscale and make it possible for shinies to be visible ?

Of course that would probably mean that you would have to redo some graphics you specifically made in greyscale and delay the release of the game...

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Congrats on winning Hack of the Month. Enjoy your sticky!

Congratulations on the HoTM award! I hope you excel with this!

Thank you! I wish I was able to post more updates, but I've been real busy this past month with moving to a new place and all of the projects associated with that. I'll still try to keep the updates coming while stickied!

Maybe I am stupid and I missed something somewhere...but I thought that first gen games like R/B/Y could be in colours if played in SGB mode...wouldn't that solve the problem of the greyscale and make it possible for shinies to be visible ?

Of course that would probably mean that you would have to redo some graphics you specifically made in greyscale and delay the release of the game...

Without any modifications, the color palette is very weak. There are hacks that colorize the game so it looks like Gen 2 did but I would prefer to keep the black and white graphics (even in SGB mode). It just feels more like a Gen 1 game that way to me, since I never played it in color.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Congrats on winning HoTM! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

Also, do you think you'll ever release the source code for this? It would be nice to see how you've managed to do it all.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 5, 2016
Wow, this seems to be shaping up to an amazing hack. I'm really looking forward to playing this! And congrats on winning Hack Of The Month - your hack deserved it!

One question, and sorry if it's been asked before: why exactly do you choose not to have color graphics? Just curious.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Congrats on winning HoTM! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

Also, do you think you'll ever release the source code for this? It would be nice to see how you've managed to do it all.

Thanks! The source code will be easy to release, since it is all done through the disassembly. So yeah, certainly. But not anytime soon.

Wow, this seems to be shaping up to an amazing hack. I'm really looking forward to playing this! And congrats on winning Hack Of The Month - your hack deserved it!

One question, and sorry if it's been asked before: why exactly do you choose not to have color graphics? Just curious.

Thanks! The main reason is because I want it to feel like a Gen 1 hack. I personally never played Red in color graphics, so its mainly for a personal nostalgic factor. Also, making it in color is a lot of work.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been sidetracked by other projects related to my new apartment. But I will get back to work on TRE soon. In the mean time, I've made a short video showing off the new text input screen that I implented a few weeks ago.

Enjoy.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 5, 2016
As far as Gen 1 hacks go, this hack seems quite revolutionary. I do have a suggestion: maybe you won't implement color graphics and that's fine, but why not implement other stuff like experience bars and the future gen HM system - as in, you can just go up to a tree, press A and Cut it - without having to go to your Pokemon party screen to do so?

Also, are you seriously adding WEATHER to your game? Because that's awesome - I never knew anyone could do that! Will this weather just manifest in the middle of battle, or will it also be noticeable outside of battle - like when you're walking around in a route or something? I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
The slight animation of the button being pushed down is a nice touch.

Thanks. Was probably more trouble than it was worth.

As far as Gen 1 hacks go, this hack seems quite revolutionary. I do have a suggestion: maybe you won't implement color graphics and that's fine, but why not implement other stuff like experience bars and the future gen HM system - as in, you can just go up to a tree, press A and Cut it - without having to go to your Pokemon party screen to do so?

Also, are you seriously adding WEATHER to your game? Because that's awesome - I never knew anyone could do that! Will this weather just manifest in the middle of battle, or will it also be noticeable outside of battle - like when you're walking around in a route or something? I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Thanks. I will/have already implement Exp bars. The code for the Exp bars has already been written and implemented into the 'pre-disassembly' version. I just haven't transferred them over the current version. I plan on adding the future gen HM system that you mention as well.

And yeah, I will be adding weather. Only certain weather will occur outside of battle. In battle, weather can be brought on by attacks or abilities. Also, the out-of-battle weather will carry into the in-battle weather when the battle begins.

How did you even do this with Gen 1 hacking? This is insane. Good job!

Thanks! I could'nt have done it without the pokered disassembly project and everyone who has worked on it. See here:

https://github.com/iimarckus/pokered

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Sorry for the lack of updates, I haven't been able to work on this much this summer. But I should be able to begin picking this back up, so expect progress reports more often. I'm currently working on sprites while I get my head back into the code and where I left off.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 5, 2016
Sorry for the lack of updates, I haven't been able to work on this much this summer. But I should be able to begin picking this back up, so expect progress reports more often. I'm currently working on sprites while I get my head back into the code and where I left off.

Welcome back! Hope you're doing well!

Mind sharing some screenshots or videos of active weather (both in and out of battle)?

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Welcome back! Hope you're doing well!

Mind sharing some screenshots or videos of active weather (both in and out of battle)?

Thanks! Yeah I'm doing great.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to show. I haven't implemented any battle animations yet, all of the effects just happen behind the scenes at the moment. Also, I am in the middle of updating other battle graphics so the battle scene doesn't look presentable at the moment.

And I haven't done anything out of battle in the disassembly. I can show some out-of-battle weather from the old version, from before the disassembly, if you'd like, though.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Its been a while, so let me tell you what I've been working on. I've been revamping the entire system of creating a new pokemon and the system of loading a pokemons data into battle.

There are three scenarios when a pokemon gets created. One that gets added directly to the players part (or PC). This will be gift pokemon, like your Starter. One that gets added to the enemy's party. This will occur before a battle begins. And one that you encounter in a wild pokemon battle.

Let me try to describe all of the new attributes that a new pokemon can have. Not everything is new, but there should be a lot more detail then I have previously released. Prepare for a wall of text.

First, I have revamped the "leveling" system. The level of a wild pokemon that you encounter will depend on your progress in the game ( and +/- 5 on top of that). So no matter where you are, you will always be fighting evenly matched pokemon, to an extent. Each region will have a minimum level and maximum level for each pokemon, so you cannot encounter pokemon there outside that range.

Similarly, I have modified the way a trainers pokemon level gets loaded. In fact, every single individual trainer in the game will have an addition set of bytes associated with them. Each byte refers to a specific function that gets called when determining the pokemons attributes. One of these refers to what the base level is. The base level may be a specific level, it may depend on your progress in the game, it may depend on the levels of the pokemon in your party, and it might be modified ontop of that (+10, -5, etc).

Another trainer byte relates to how this "base level" gets modified for each pokemon in the party. So each pokemon might have the same level, each pokemon might be two levels higher than the pokemon before it, etc. I can have 256 unique functions for each trainer byte, so I'm sure I will come up with good ones as I begin to add the trainers into the game. These functions can be used by multiple trainers, so I'm not saying that there are only 256 trainers in the game.

And yes, there is a function to make sure that the pokemon species will update to the evolved version if the level is high enough (so you won't encounter any level 50 weedles).

Now let me describe how the pokemons attributes get determined. I am literally going through the pokemon dataset byte by byte here.

Special Defense:
Each pokemon species has a special defense stat. This value is taken from other games. Each pokemon will also have EVs for each stat (so special attack and speical defense are separate)

DVs:
Each pokemon will now have 6 DVs, Speed, HP, Sp Attack, Sp Defense, Attack, Defense. Player and wild pokemon will be randomly generated. New trainer pokemon will run a routine determined by that trainers byte. Some may be random, some may be maxxed out

Secondary Status:
Blank for all new pokemon. This bytes holds additional status information that doesn't fit in the original status byte (for example: toxic, wounded, delayed damage, etc)

Delayed Damage:
I haven't mentioned this one before. It will be possible for a pokemon to take damage, but it does not get applied until a certain time afterwards. These bytes determine what the damage may be and when it should get applied. These will be blank for all new pokemon.
An example if this might be some sort of sticky bomb that gets stuck to a pokemon.

Skills:
As mentioned earlier, the skills byte allows you to train your pokemon to improve their performance in battle. There are 8 unique skills a pokemon can learn, including improved evasion, accuracy, and multi-turn attacks. New player and wild pokemon will be blank. New trainer pokemon will run a routine determined by that trainers byte.

Held Item:
Blank for new player pokemon. Wild pokemon may randomly holding an item based on various scenarios (location, type, species, gender, etc). New trainer pokemon will run a routine determined by that trainers byte.

Traits:
The traits byte determines the gender of a pokemon, if it is holographic or not, and some other features that are not annonuced yet. The gender of the pokemon is based on whether or not that species of pokemon can be a certain gender. If it can be both male and female, there is a 50 percent chance for each. Otherwise, it will automatically be assigned the only gender it can be (or genderless, if it has no gender). There is a rare chance a player or wild pokemon will be holographic (or, it can be preset before the battle begins, for special pokemon encounters). New trainer pokemon will run a routine determined by that trainers byte.

Morale:
Every pokemon has a base morale. Player pokemon and wild pokemon have their morale automatically set to the base. When you catch a pokemon, that morale get reduced slightly (and more so if you stole it from another trainer). New trainer pokemon will run a routine determined by that trainers byte.

Energy:
This is the biggest unannounced stat that I am revealing today. Instead of having PP, each pokemon will have "Energy". The energy is based on the level and level alone (so it is the same for all pokemon) plus a random value for each pokemon generates. Think of it as pooled PP. Every attack will reduce the energy. The more poewrful the attack, the more energy will be used. Energy can be regained through the use of items. Pokemon will need to have a certain amount of energy to use field moves outside of battle, as well.

Let me know what you all think. No screenshots because started some gfx updates but then got sidetracked so it doesn't look pretty.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2015
This looks very interesting, I like it quite a bit. Keep up the good work, I am really looking forward to playing this game when it´s finished!

Back