Advertiser Content

Discussion What is the best GBA emulator?

Started by calmpalm April 22nd, 2019 10:23 AM
  • 15 replies

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Male
Inside you
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
152 posts
201 Days
Any tips?
For windows, i suggest you visual boy advance, widely used by a lot of people.
If you are android guy, MyBoy! is the best. Purchasing the paid version doesnt gives you much so free version is better. John GBA is good too, but i prefer MyBoy!

#BestTeam

wanderlustdemon

I'll get angry, and take a nap.

Age 24
Female
Kalt Island
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
173 posts
218 Days
I'd say Visual Boy Advance-M

as it's the most commonly used.

Seliph

Lord

Male
Seen 7 Minutes Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
2,739 posts
6.5 Years
The problem with the original VBA is that it hasn't been developed further for over a decade. That resulted into people forking the project and creating their own modifications. VBA-m being the most prominent one out there. If you go for an emulator, go for that one.

On Android I use Retroarch with a GBA core (can't say with one on the top of my head). It's a little bit tricky to set up and Android does some weird things that require certain habits, but I think it's worth the effort. I mean, it's free as well, so you can't really complain.

Avara

Author of Tales

Female
Izantine
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
1,051 posts
7.6 Years
I'll second mGBA or VBA-m x

Alexander Nicholi

We come close to find Singularity

Age 21
Male
Research Triangle / Jakarta
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
5,488 posts
9.7 Years
only reason to use VBA-M is because of sound engine accuracy IIRC, and I don’t know if that’s still true these days. generally speaking mGBA takes the cake for accuracy, so it’s objectively better use.
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
( don’t stop the groovin’ )

Miggiz125s

Nothing interesting here...

Male
New Bark Town, Johto
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
54 posts
65 Days
VBA is a solid choice, but even if it is not that updated, It takes care of most of your needs.
Age 26
Male
USA
Seen 14 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
410 posts
7.7 Years
only reason to use VBA-M is because of sound engine accuracy IIRC, and I don’t know if that’s still true these days. generally speaking mGBA takes the cake for accuracy, so it’s objectively better use.
As someone whose hack is heavily dependent on proper audio emulation, I can say that it's still true. mGBA produces lower quality audio than actual hardware. I'd say that VBA-M's audio quality might be too good to be accurate, but it's still far superior.

Outside of that, mGBA has it beaten in spades. It's generally the best GBA emulator out there, and that's not likely to change for the foreseeable future.
My hack:
Advertiser Content