• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arcanum

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'm still keen on reviving Arcanum at some point eventually, so I'm building up the region and plot again. This isn't going to happen anytime soon though (especially with me being in like 3 journey-ish RPs already lmfao) but dammit I want to store these ideas somewhere and if you have more ideas or comments or questions or wishlists, bring it

The region

It is an island, much similar to Sinnoh with a big mountain in the middle, but also more tropical in atmosphere.

Its people are a mix of stubborn traditionalists and eager modernists; the island was relatively recently colonized by the outside world since it had been hidden by its guardian pok?mon for the longest of time. Traditional Arcanians call the immigrants and their offspring "foreigners" still today.

It is basically being exploited these days since its naturally occurring pok?mon look differently than the normal species in the rest of the world;
they are what is elsewhere referred to as "shiny colored". In Arcanum, "normal colored" pok?mon are called foreign, while the native mons are called Arcanian pok?mon. Despite various protection and preservation acts, foreign organizations capture or steal Arcanian 'mons to sell in the outside world.

The Settlements

There are twelve main settlements, named after the months of the year. There are Arenas in all of them, each focusing on one type as their specialty.

Januvale - Dragon
Feborough - Bug
Marchall - Fighting
Apriton - Flying
Maydale - Grass
Junelane - Water
Julyridge - Ghost
Augushore - Ground
Septemburg - Poison
Octowell - Fairy
Noverth - Dark
Decemark - Normal

The Gyms
... won't be called Gyms. Like in the original RP, they'll be Arenas. A leader will supervise and guide training there, but it's not the leader the player has to beat in order to earn an Arena Pin. They will have to train either a pok?mon of the relevant type of their own, or teach their existing mons types of that kind, or at the very least train together with arena regulars (the leader's helpers who work in the arena and tend to the pok?mon etc) to learn what's important to know about the relevant type, before they will be approved by the leader for an Arena Battle.

In Arena Battles, two players will face off against each other, and usually only the winner will earn a Pin. Maybe in some cases, the leader feels like the loser also deserves a Pin, but most often they'll have to train some more and come back for a rematch against another player.

If there's no other player who can battle you within reasonable ooc time, you can be allowed to do the battle against a NPC.

Characters

Zekrom and Reshiram (shiny of course) are the island's traditional guardians. In Arcanian lore, they are always meant to have been in strife. Reshiram stood for truth and tradition, while Zekrom stood for ideals and change. When the foreigners arrived, they took Zekrom's image to heart and tried to use that as a way to convince the Arcanians that their modern ways were a natural evolution for their land. Traditionalists instead took up Reshiram's image as their mark, preaching tradition and nature above technical advancement.

There are at least two GM-ed characters that will appear often, and they will, since I like things categorized ahah, together with the legendaries, embody the last pok?mon types.

Electric - Zekrom
Fire - Reshiram

Man who is pro change, champion of Zekrom
His main pok?mon could be something like:
Ice - Alolan Sandslash
Steel - Registeel

Woman who is pro traditions, champion of Reshiram
Her main mons might be something like:
Rock - Regirock
Psychic - Meowstic

The Players

Like in the old Arcanum RP, they will get to start off with an eeveelution each. They will receive this pok?mon from the Arena master of Januvale (who trains Dragons and is pro-traditions), or from a professor, or maybe from one of the two big GM-characters.

The players can choose to already be adept trainers, but they won't have taken on the Arcanum League yet. If they come from the outside world, they can have 1-2 foreign (non-shiny) pok?mon already, too, before receiving their eeveelution starter.

The Mechanics of the RP

Probably there won't be much. No levels, no particular requirements for captures etc. since we'd try to focus on interaction, plot and story rather than farming levels or trudging through sidequests. Solve the mystery of Arcanum! Pick a side between Zekrom or Reshiram's fans! and such

New areas would likely be presented through GM storytelling rather than as "area/chapter posts" and the players would, very anime free style, choose for themselves what moves and strengths wild pok?mon in the area would have.

Would it be a journey, then?

Hmmm kind of not. I haven't come up with a better plot than the original yet, but I'd like to. Some good reason for somebody to give the characters pok?mon and send them out through the region. Something sinister and captivating, that keeps the characters focused and makes them want to advance to the next place.

Maybe the Arenas should be optional; this doesn't even have to be a journey where newbie trainers go on a journey to get stronger. You could start off as a trainer with a couple of strong mons already and just travel the region for The Plot Reason and get to know your new shiny eevee evolution.

Possibly we can have fake eeveelutions too? A pure flying type with cute wings and such!

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Is there any reason why the pokemon are shiny colored? Or is it just because. LOL.

Also, the typing for the pokemon of the GMs seemed random (I mean the sandslash and meowstic) or is it just me?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Is there any reason why the pokemon are shiny colored? Or is it just because. LOL.

Also, the typing for the pokemon of the GMs seemed random (I mean the sandslash and meowstic) or is it just me?
Back in the day it was just because XD and then I came up with some plotty reason behind it, and it turned out to work well with the exploitation/modernisation plot. If it seems a bit overkill, I could make them just slightly different-colored, "arcanum colored" on at least details of their body instead of the basic shiny appearance. But I kind of like that there are shiny sprites we can use ahah.

And yeah, those types were the 4 ones that were left over once I had assigned suitable types to each town. I've had atmospheres and cultures for these different cities in mind for years now; Maydale being set in grasslands, Apriton on windy hills, Augushore being a resort with huge beaches, Octowell hidden in a mysterious forest, Septemburg being polluted etc etc. So what was left over was simply what I'd use for my chars for the pure and boring sake of why nots. Might not do the regis or the Sandslash and Meowstic; those were just examples.

I could also make those 4 types some kind of Elite 4 of course. But I'm not sure an Elite 4 team would fit the culture, since their League system is different enough as it is from the other regions.

The post above is 60% brainstorming, 40% things I know I definitely want in, so far c:

1900 times interested!
<3

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
What is Arcanum

Anyways, the whole clash between traditionalists and modernist is already a pretty sweet set-up since that could provide a lot of interesting commentary on society, using Pokemon's lore to shape analogies. And really, you could just work with that. You wouldn't even need Gyms/Arenas and an Elite Four since all of that would clearly just be filler and a blatant attempt to emulate the Pokemon games just to emphasize that this is indeed related to Pokemon. It's just very contrived and entirely pointless, especially if they're optional. I think you'd get more merit by keeping the focus on Arcanum's differing ideologies and orchestrate that conflict into a series of organized events that our players could partake in as they fight for their respective side.

I personally don't think this RP needs to have anything more and you can really capitalize on the simplicity of this premise alone. Of course, this is just a simple suggestion I'm offering so I don't want you to just take it if it's not something you agree with.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
What is Arcanum

Anyways, the whole clash between traditionalists and modernist is already a pretty sweet set-up since that could provide a lot of interesting commentary on society, using Pokemon's lore to shape analogies. And really, you could just work with that. You wouldn't even need Gyms/Arenas and an Elite Four since all of that would clearly just be filler and a blatant attempt to emulate the Pokemon games just to emphasize that this is indeed related to Pokemon. It's just very contrived and entirely pointless, especially if they're optional. I think you'd get more merit by keeping the focus on Arcanum's differing ideologies and orchestrate that conflict into a series of organized events that our players could partake in as they fight for their respective side.

I personally don't think this RP needs to have anything more and you can really capitalize on the simplicity of this premise alone. Of course, this is just a simple suggestion I'm offering so I don't want you to just take it if it's not something you agree with.
No, I like that suggestion. The original Arcanum was a "journey RP" here, so it had arenas and chapters and whatnot, but it would probably be much more fun and feel much less restricted to step away from that formula and explore Arcanum in other ways. Thanks for the input!!

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Aw, I appreciate you appreciating my suggestion there.

Though now I am curious. I know you said you probably won't finish this anytime soon, but I wonder if you'll provide more information about these traditionalists and modernists, as well as Arcanum's culture in the future? Provided you follow through with that aspect over the Journey tropes. On that note, will you be overhauling any of the mechanics?

Honestly, if you decide to focus on that, I'd be very hyped in joining this. I admit that I have a preference for stories that focus on competing ideologies and I really want more Pokemon RPs that utilize the lore to tell a different kind of story than what's present in the games.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
I really like the idea of this divided island nation, but just for the tone of the RP I have one or two questions.

What specifically is meant by "pro-change" vs. "pro-tradition"? Is it purely things like technology? Does it involve open contact with the outside world beyond what they already have? What sort of traditions get impeded upon by the pro-change advocates? Those are all questions that would probably be answered in an OP but I'm curious, haha.

Secondly, how intense are hostilities between people of differing ideals, in terms of the previously mentioned divide? Is there just an awkward tensions? Is their discussion and debate? Or is it bordering on open hostility with people shunning each other, battling one another and all in all breaking relationships with and becoming spurned by people of the opposite side?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
aaaaah I haven't checked in here in a while but dO IT yes pls

edit:
Possibly we can have fake eeveelutions too? A pure flying type with cute wings and such!
fakemon always seem to be a contentious point, but if you can find some good designs, it could easily work

here's one of mine from forever ago (sprited by another user, though atm I forget who) which happens to fit that flying-type bill. "Cirreon"

Spoiler: Pulled from one of the long dead PC Pokedex Projects
Y7rAxo0.png

Last edited:

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I don't think I'll be able to join this, but holy shit the original Arcanum was so fun to write for. I seriously hope you revive this!

Back