• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

powerful but risky deck

Luxray Master

Main Head for the Starlight Team
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
Hello PC deck reviewers, I am here to... get my deck reviewed. As you can tell by the title, this deck is risky but OP, and I don't want that riskyness. Anyways, here is the lineup:
Pokemon:
1x Phantump
1x Trevenant(useful in the start)
1x Jirachi(IDK why)
2x doduo
2x dodrio(retreat aid)
1x charizard EX(from the red&blue box)
1x Raquaza
1x electrike
1x manectric
2x electabuzz
2x electivire
1x Zapados
3x shinx
1x luxio
2x luxray
Energy:
8x psychic
8x electric
1x double colorless
Trainers:
3x potions
1x misty's determination
1x buffer piece
1x interviewers questions
1x skull fossil
2x shauna
1x pokemon center lady
1x wally
1x maintenance
1x great ball(I should get more, I know)
1x fighting fury belt
1x olympia
1x clemont

thank you for any suggestions!

Last edited:

Luxray Master

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
The main card deck was the electric eye deck, but the other cards came from everywhere.

Luxray Master

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
Here's the lowdown:
rising skies:
wally
electrike
Electric eye:
Misy's determination
shinx, luxio, and Luxray
phantump and trevenant
great ball
fighting fury belt
electabuzz and Electivire
potions
Platinum:
skull fossil
Arceus:
manectric lvl 44
buffer piece
Unleashed:
interviewer's questions
Undaunted:
dodrio
Red and blue box(couldn't find it, sign is a plus with two horizantal lines):
olympia
clemont
pokémon center lady
maintenance
jirachi
zapidos
dodrio and doduo(yes, these are in the same group, unlike the othe other two)
supreme victors:
doduo
Phantom forces:
shauna
double colorless
promo:
charizard EX(red&blue)
raquaza(raquaza box)
didn't think of including energies, since they do the same thing.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Right so it's the BreakPOINT Trev, that's something I can work with :>

The "Red/Blue" set is called Generations.

The problem I can already tell you with this deck is it's not focused enough. having 1-1 lines in is beyond risky, especially when a lot of those lines are easy prey. Try running fairy garden x4 and fairy energy over Doduo lines as that will give you free retreats and won't cost you any prizes.

On the topic of energy, how do you intend to power up Zard? There are no fire energies in this deck and three for 80 on an EX is not good in this format, it's too slow. If you're running Zard you need to run either fire energies and Blacksmith or Burning Energies (or both) otherwise he's going to be knocked out before you've gotten anymore than 80 onto your opponent.

Ditch the Great Balls and use Level, Lure, Ultra and/or Heavy, as they're guaranteed to net you a pokemon.

Unfortunately this deck is too loose and slow to do any real damage. Whilst you're clearly considering things like heavy retreat costs which is great, you need to consider speed and structure too.

Edit:

Pokemon: 12

3x Phantump
3x Trevenant

3x Charizard EX
2x Volcanion EX
1x Carbink (energy keeper variety)

Items: 21

4 Nest Ball
4x Level Ball
3x Heavy Ball
2x Max Potion
2x Escape Rope
2x Switch
2x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Float Stone
2x Enhanced Hammer

Supporters: 11

3x Professor Sycamore
3x Shauna
2x Blacksmith
2x Lysandre
1x Wally

Energy: 14

10x Fire
4x Burning Energy

There's a quick list I threw together. Running this you'll have structure, an end goal and a few counters to common threats.

3 Phantump makes him a likely pull during set up, his attack "Ascension" will allow you to evolve to Trevenant on turn 1 which would hit your opponent's basics with the extra attack cost. Lure Balls will get any of your basics out of the deck and onto the field, level balls will handle your carbink and any extra phantumps you need and heavy balls will grab Charizard EX, Volcanion EX and Trevs.

Carbink is in the deck to protect Charizard from having his energy cards knocked off by your opponent, Burning energy are there because they do not have to be discarded like usual fire energies when using Charizard's main attack and Volcanion EX is there because of his ability Steam Up which allows you to discard a fire energy from your hand to power up your Charizard's attacks by 30 damage (you can use 1 of these per turn with each Volcanion, so if you have three on the bench, you can do three steam ups, giving Charizard a 90 damage boost) Blacksmith is in there because it grabs back 2x fire energy from your discard and attaches them to one of your fire pokemon (either Charizard or Volcanion)

I've sorted out your retreat cost problem with the addition of switches, escape ropes and float stones. The deck should move a lot faster too thanks to the 3x Sycamore/ 3x Shauna count.

Last edited:

Luxray Master

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
Thank you, that deck looks awesome, unfortunatly:
1. I made the deck out of cards that I have, which hindered me greatly
2. I don't know where to find these cards that I'm missing(though I'm guessing that they are from steam siege Gears of Fire) so if you could show me some decks needed...?
3. If you could somehow add a luxray evolution...?
4. The charizard that I have does a 150 damage move called Combustion Blast
and i forgot to mntion that i 4 fire energy cards, 2 for charizard 1 for raquaza and 1 extra.
My zapados/raquaza setup is dangerous, because of zap's ragingthunder and raquaza's ozone wall.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Thank you, that deck looks awesome, unfortunatly:
1. I made the deck out of cards that I have, which hindered me greatly
2. I don't know where to find these cards that I'm missing(though I'm guessing that they are from steam siege Gears of Fire) so if you could show me some decks needed...?
3. If you could somehow add a luxray evolution...?
4. The charizard that I have does a 150 damage move called Combustion Blast
and i forgot to mntion that i 4 fire energy cards, 2 for charizard 1 for raquaza and 1 extra.
My zapados/raquaza setup is dangerous, because of zap's ragingthunder and raquaza's ozone wall.

I know that it does 150, but it needs two fire energy (that then have to be discarded) to do that and you original list had no fire energy, which is what I went off of, thus limiting you to using wing attack for 90. Even with 4, you had no way to recycle them meaning you'd only get one attack out of Zard which would not knock out 90% of the current format's noted cards. Zapdos doing 40 to one of your bench in a deck like this is suicide. I'd understand if you were running it was Machamp EX or Tauros GX or something that benefits from having damage on it, but nothing in your deck does. Honestly, I'd be ecstatic coming against anyone using raging thunder Zapdos because of it's relatively soft 120 HP and the fact it's damaging my opponent to attack me with it.

Don't buy decks, buy singles. It works out much cheaper. The Charizard EX is like $3-5 normally, Volcanion can be had for $4 as it's a tin promo (search Volcanion EX, the promo one is the cheap one). Carbink with Energy Keeper (It's in fates collide) is at most a dollar, Sycamores are usually 4 for $3 etc. Burning energy ( i think are in ancient origins) are usually about $1 each. If you can find a local league you'll likely find a lot of players willing to just give you half this stuff to help you out, if you were at my local league I know myself and several others would sort you out the bulk of this deck for free

I know it seems to be your favourite Pokemon, but Luxray really is not a very playable or decent card these days unfortunately. The only way you could run it is in a specifically tailored deck and even then you will lose most match ups

Luxray Master

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
thank you so much for this. I will work on finding these cards, thoug I will probably need to use Amazon, sinc I live 4 hr from the closest city with a league. And with zapados, I can have recoil fall on raquaza, and use raquaza's ozone wall to stop it, but then again, I don't know if that is allowed...

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
thank you so much for this. I will work on finding these cards, thoug I will probably need to use Amazon, sinc I live 4 hr from the closest city with a league. And with zapados, I can have recoil fall on raquaza, and use raquaza's ozone wall to stop it, but then again, I don't know if that is allowed...

eBay is your best bet :) Or a card seller, I can suggest some depending what country you're in

Actually I didn't think about using Ray to soak up the damage, you could do that sure.

Luxray Master

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
So I hade a battle with another person(had a breakPOINT gredninja deck) and had a perfect combo:
unlike usual, where Jirachi is in my first, my hands were:
zapados, raquaza, shauna, Luxray, psychic energy, phantump,
used the energy on phantump, used acention, next card was an electric energy, put it on zap, then used Shauna and got Interviewers questions, fighting fury belt, wally, electabuzz, and doduo. Using interviewers questions, I snagged a double colorless, a psychic energy, and an electric energy. I put the double on trevenant and OHKOed my opponent. My prize card was the other shauna, and my next card was another energy, so I used wally for dodrio, switched trevenant for zap, placed the energy and used the raging thunder, negated damage with raquaza, and with the fighting fury belt OHKOed the other five pokémon with 130 damage. Just an example of the powerfulness but also riskyness of my current deck, since I had no backup if Trevenant was KOed without messing up the plan.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
So I hade a battle with another person(had a breakPOINT gredninja deck) and had a perfect combo:
unlike usual, where Jirachi is in my first, my hands were:
zapados, raquaza, shauna, Luxray, psychic energy, phantump,
used the energy on phantump, used acention, next card was an electric energy, put it on zap, then used Shauna and got Interviewers questions, fighting fury belt, wally, electabuzz, and doduo. Using interviewers questions, I snagged a double colorless, a psychic energy, and an electric energy. I put the double on trevenant and OHKOed my opponent. My prize card was the other shauna, and my next card was another energy, so I used wally for dodrio, switched trevenant for zap, placed the energy and used the raging thunder, negated damage with raquaza, and with the fighting fury belt OHKOed the other five pokémon with 130 damage. Just an example of the powerfulness but also riskyness of my current deck, since I had no backup if Trevenant was KOed without messing up the plan.

Nice work :) Though this kinda touches up on why I condensed the list so much, like you say, it's risky. If just one or two cards are prized it could kill your whole run.

Back