• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: (currently unnamed) Generation 1 Remake in Crystal

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
well here goes nothing

[[9/3/2020 UPDATE: Demo 2 is here!! Check it out, gyms 1-6 are complete! Updated Title Screen, dex entries, and more!]]

-- Original OP --

Hi, I exist. In the past few months I've been working on and off on a little project to remake the entirety of Kanto in the generation 2 games. This is not a half-arsed effort, the end goal is to port the entirety of Kanto, save for (possibly) a few exceptions. So far, I've finished up work on the scripting for the first two gyms, and a bit after that, and decided to post a demo to gauge interest in the project.

Features
- Kanto, in its entirety, with all cut areas in generation 2 restored
- A modified script that is more in line with generation 2 in terms of tone
- Scripting redone from scratch in generation 2
- A feeling that you aren't even playing a ROM hack as you're playing
- All the improvements that had been brought up to Crystal

Please note that this hack is not an improvement hack, so I have no intentions of implementing natures, running shoes, or other features introduced in later generations.

Known Bugs
- Link Receptionists in Pokemon Centers crash the game. (I need to move their script to standard script)
- NPCs that you follow in Pewter City may not disappear on screen unless you offscreen them first (but this is only visual)
- Most bugs in vanilla Crystal are probably still present here.

Anything past Cerulean is unfinished, and hasn't been refined. However, the entire Kanto map is present and accounted for.

Screenshots:
fimWyr5.png

OqTMtvU.png

TXk4KW5.png

B4WH09G.png

YlP6xNV.png

8tJr4aL.png

64b57D6.png

Dxcwbyz.png

4IqIpSK.png

PBNatR6.png

gwYbiq3.png

8DKM1SW.png

Rns6R1O.png

- Credits
Uh, none yet. Asides from a few people on pret who helped me solve some scripting problems, everything else is either from vanilla crystal, edited from that, edited from generation 1's graphics, or something I drew myself.

I'll try to check the thread every now and again, but I'd rather release new stuff in less frequent bursts that have more content, rather than little by little small update posts which are more frequent.

-------
Oh, and one last thing. I have no idea what to even call this thing. If anyone has any ideas, please hit me up.

Attachments

• rnoafdemo1.ips
    569.1 KB · Views: 33
  • rnoafdemo2.ips
    741 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Unless I'm mistaken doesn't Danny-E 33's Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics Patch fulfill much of the same purpose? Is your mod's goal is have gen 1 story with gen 2 mechanics in addition to the graphics? (stuff like held items, pokegear, eggs, etc.) Just wanted a some clarification since its not an improvement hack.

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
Could you explain exactly what is planned for the storyline since I do hope for more than just a simple remake of the gen 1 storyline.
Storyline will more or less be untouched. The beats of the story remain the same, but the wording may be more clear.

Unless I'm mistaken doesn't Danny-E 33's Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics Patch fulfill much of the same purpose? Is your mod's goal is have gen 1 story with gen 2 mechanics in addition to the graphics? (stuff like held items, pokegear, eggs, etc.) Just wanted a some clarification since its not an improvement hack.
Yes, that would be correct. For instance, you can still save money with your mother, and Daisy will still groom your Pokemon at 3 PM, as was the case in FRLG. Additionally, the red/blue graphics patch didn't change the encounters iirc. This will have encounters based on Japanese Blue.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
This seems like an interesting hack, i understand that you are going for a remakish vibe, but to really make yours stand out, you should should really consider adding your own story elements and features outside the base rom.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I second what the others are saying. This looks cool and I appreciate the effort, but I would advise adding onto the story somehow to differentiate it from improvement hacks.

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
Ah, excuse me for not checking in recently.

Progress has been made, and the Rocket Hideout is pretty much complete, as is most of Celadon City.
Seems like a glitch is preventing me from posting the screenshots of new stuff, as it thinks they're links.

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
Have a small question to ask today. If you're wondering, I'm nearly done with the second demo, which will go up to Sabrina's Gym.
Voltorb and Electrode were given new overworld sprites in G/S/C. How should I handle them in the Power Plant?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Just use their GSC overworld sprites. If the other Pokemon have GSC overworld sprites, then why not Voltorb and Electrode?

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
Just use their GSC overworld sprites. If the other Pokemon have GSC overworld sprites, then why not Voltorb and Electrode?

Well, my fear was that it'd ruin the element of surprise of trying to figure out which item balls were real and which ones were traps.

AGR-001

Lucas21a
Years
Suggestions:
  • Can you release a second patch? The second patch is the remake of the Japanese Red and Green (Map layouts, Sprites, and others with exception of Lavender Town music to people who is faint and/or sensitive to creepypastas)
  • The name must be Gen 1 Deluxe or Gen 1 in Gen 2
  • That's it

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
Saffron Gym is complete, meaning its now possible to obtain 6 badges. Expect a new demo soon!

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
The second demo is here! Gyms 1-6 are complete, and the hack is nearing completion.

- Some New Bugs -
1. If you can't walk through opened doors in Silph Co., you need to move around before it registers the collision as being possible to walk on.
2. Some dex entries may have some text formatting errors (There shouldn't be any, but it is very possible I missed some.)
3. NPC sprites are wrong in Saffron City when you first enter it from another route. There isn't much I can do about this, but it should correct itself if you enter a building or open a menu (like the Dex or Pack).

And of course new screenshots!
fPIERNg.png

A modified title screen!
xtQY16E.png

Yes, this means Ice Beam is a TM again.
R8hEv9b.png

XzNCVrY.png

UPiM1LV.png

New Trainer Classes!

Attachments

• rnoafdemo2.ips
    741 KB · Views: 9
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 14, 2023
I'm trying the second demo and it looks super buggy, prof. Oak doesn't even stop you from going into route 1 so there's no way to pick up the starter, same with the drunk old man. I could even get to Indigo Plateau without being stopped by the guards.

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
I'm trying the second demo and it looks super buggy, prof. Oak doesn't even stop you from going into route 1 so there's no way to pick up the starter, same with the drunk old man. I could even get to Indigo Plateau without being stopped by the guards.

Can you show me? In all my testing, such events like that are fairly consistently working on my end.
Do you have plans to at least add the Johto region as post game?
Post game is... undecided even as of now. I'm mostly finished with everything, just needing to finish up dex entries and whatnot. The only thing that I have set in stone that I want for post game is a means to get a king's rock and metal coat.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 14, 2023
Oh I managed to fix it in the end. I probably patched it to the wrong ROM. It works now.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
and a patch for the title screen think if you could only patch the title to red blue or even green ! i think that would be amazing even if it dint scroll this is amazing work !

Back