• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Project Kanto Reformation-Gen 7 Pokemon added!

Should I add Mega Evolution to this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
I suggest you hand-pick around 151-251 Pokemon (depends on how large you'd plan the Sevii Island expansion) from all the available generations, making sure to pay attention to the balance of type and role distribution in the game (e.g. choose 1-2, and not more, between Pidgey/Spearow/Hoothoot/Taillow/Starly/Pidove line to fulfill the Earlygame Bird Role).

For reference, take a look at the official Black/White regional dex (which is so balanced in type distribution you can run a mono-type playthrough with almost every type) and Doesn't Know How To Play's Yet Another Fire Red Hack (151 Pokemon picked across five generations).

In general, start small. Make sure the core game is stable enough before trying to execute something big.

FWIW, I think this is a great idea that could give your hack a unique feel. You can also play around with specific team themes (defense/stall, weather, hyper-offense, status effect, etc.) if you wanted to, suited to the leaders' personality and difficulty relative to their in-game positioning.

Take heart and good luck.

Thanks for your encouragement! Unfortunately I can't work on it today because my computer is down (I'm using a chromebook right now).

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I think stick to the original 386 BUT include their evolutions and pre-evolutions i.e Budew and Roserade for Roselia. You could use the newer evolutions as part of some story for the Sevvi. That was where I was going with my hack but I'm no good at scripting or ASM.

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
I think stick to the original 386 BUT include their evolutions and pre-evolutions i.e Budew and Roserade for Roselia. You could use the newer evolutions as part of some story for the Sevvi. That was where I was going with my hack but I'm no good at scripting or ASM.

Good idea, I'll think on it.

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
I know many of you are saying that all pokemon from generations 1-6 in the Kanto Region feels a bit cramped.
So I have a question. If I added new maps to the Kanto mainland (eg: a graveyard near Lavender Town) and expanded the Sevii Islands, would you be fine with all the new pokemon, or will it still feel cramped?

Link4799

Gage Linkous
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2016
Sounds really cool! Looks like an awesome hack. Just be wary not to put too much on yourself, as some aspects may suffer if ya start stressing. But the hack has great potential!

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
Sounds really cool! Looks like an awesome hack. Just be wary not to put too much on yourself, as some aspects may suffer if ya start stressing. But the hack has great potential!

Thanks for the encouraging statement! I was about to give up and your words inspired me to get back up! xD

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
Yay! I updated the thread layout! Also, the first alpha version will be out on June 23rd. Sorry if this seems like a useless post I just got kinda excited. xD

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
UPDATE: Many people do not like the 719 pokemon idea, so I'm changing that. I'll only have pokemon generations 1-3 in the game, but the fairy type and all other move effects will still be included. Due to this, the release date has been pushed back a little.

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
Years
UPDATE: Many people do not like the 719 pokemon idea, so I'm changing that. I'll only have pokemon generations 1-3 in the game, but the fairy type and all other move effects will still be included. Due to this, the release date has been pushed back a little.

Apologies if I'm only muddying the waters with another opinion. ;) But, what about a custom pokedex of about 250-350 spanning across all generations? You can make sure all types are represented somewhat evenly, include your personal favorites, etc. You don't wind up with an overcrowded region, but you also get to include pokemon after generation 3.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Yup, you can just replace any pokemon, just don't overdo things. Heck, you can even don't use mons from gen I-III except maybe (pre)-evolutions. But this is YOUR hack, do what you want to do.

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
Apologies if I'm only muddying the waters with another opinion. ;) But, what about a custom pokedex of about 250-350 spanning across all generations? You can make sure all types are represented somewhat evenly, include your personal favorites, etc. You don't wind up with an overcrowded region, but you also get to include pokemon after generation 3.

Yup, you can just replace any pokemon, just don't overdo things. Heck, you can even don't use mons from gen I-III except maybe (pre)-evolutions. But this is YOUR hack, do what you want to do.

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep generations 1-3 pokemon and just add some pre/post evolutions (ex: Pichu).

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Damn... was looking forward to playing this. Then you removed all the Gen 4-6 Pokemon... sorry, it looks good and good luck with it, but I will not be playing this one now.

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
Ok, so I'm real confused right now. Some poeple like the gens 4-6 idea, and some don't. Since I already used up my poll space, I'll ask here:
Do you like the idea of gens 1-6 pokemon? Or do you like the idea of picking certain pokemon from all regions (like Yet Another Fire Red Hack)?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I love the 4-6th gen pokemon especially when we factor for rom hacks it only makes sense to use all pokemon relevant to a specific setting. I mean you very well can't do Kanto pokemon without all the pre-evolutions of Kanto pokemon such as Pichu, Tyrogue, Igglybuff, and others.

Similarly, Wynaut and Azurill while introduced in the 3rd gen are necessary for Maril and Wobbuffet's line. Same goes for 4th gen and it's numerous pokemon connected to lines from the first three generations.

The fifth gen took a new direction and didn't have any pokemon connected to the past gens, though many still complain Alomomola should have been the evolution for Luvdisc.

The 6th gen has quite a few key pokemon that should be in the hack even if only a few make it in. The fossil pokemon especially as well as Sylveon.

Put simply even if you only put a few of the 4-6th gen pokemon in? Here's a small list of must haves.

1: All starters from all regions are a must.

2: All fossil pokemon from all regions are a must.

3: Pokémon with evolutions and pre-evolutions first introduced in a game after the 1st gen are a must (all baby pokemon and improved evolutions such as Tangrowth, Probopass, ect)

4: due to point 3, all eeveelutions must be available as well.

Beyond those necessities it should be no issue to pick and choose which ones should make the cut if you opt to be selective of pokemon from 4th gen on up.

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
Years
I love the 4-6th gen pokemon especially when we factor for rom hacks it only makes sense to use all pokemon relevant to a specific setting. I mean you very well can't do Kanto pokemon without all the pre-evolutions of Kanto pokemon such as Pichu, Tyrogue, Igglybuff, and others.

Similarly, Wynaut and Azurill while introduced in the 3rd gen are necessary for Maril and Wobbuffet's line. Same goes for 4th gen and it's numerous pokemon connected to lines from the first three generations.

The fifth gen took a new direction and didn't have any pokemon connected to the past gens, though many still complain Alomomola should have been the evolution for Luvdisc.

The 6th gen has quite a few key pokemon that should be in the hack even if only a few make it in. The fossil pokemon especially as well as Sylveon.

Put simply even if you only put a few of the 4-6th gen pokemon in? Here's a small list of must haves.

1: All starters from all regions are a must.

2: All fossil pokemon from all regions are a must.

3: Pokémon with evolutions and pre-evolutions first introduced in a game after the 1st gen are a must (all baby pokemon and improved evolutions such as Tangrowth, Probopass, ect)

4: due to point 3, all eeveelutions must be available as well.

Beyond those necessities it should be no issue to pick and choose which ones should make the cut if you opt to be selective of pokemon from 4th gen on up.

I'll see what I can do. I probably won't do everything mentioned above to save space (I wanna use some space for something else).
Thanks for the suggestions though!
FYI, I'll probably do numbers 3 and 4.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
There are no "musts" by any account, this depends on the hackers own story. It's a hack - it shouldn't have to follow Pokemon canon.

Back