• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do pokeballs work?

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
Years
I know you use pokeballs to capture Pokémon but how exactly do they work.

Also what are they made of.

And what is exactly in a pokeball once a Pokémon is contained with it.

This question popped up in my head because I like technology so I want to know how Pokémon technology exactly works.

Last edited:
Years
There are some theories that say that Pokemon are converted into energy and once inside the Pokeball they're basically in their own little happy place where they can rest as much as they'd like until they're summoned into battle again.

I dunno how much I subscribe to that theory, but it seems logical.

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
Years
There are some theories that say that Pokemon are converted into energy and once inside the Pokeball they're basically in their own little happy place where they can rest as much as they'd like until they're summoned into battle again.

I dunno how much I subscribe to that theory, but it seems logical.

But I thought it was sort of abuse.

Because a pokeball is small.

Or pokeballs maybe are bigger on the inside.

Years
I'm fairly sure in the anime it's shown that Pokemon can come out of pokeballs whenever they want on their own. So they are not trapped in there, so to speak.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I think they are converted into data once in the Pokeball or PC, dormant until their trainer opens the ball, which releases the data and the light you see is the data taking shape into the Pokemon.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
What I'd like to know is how a Pokéball can differentiate between humans and Pokémon. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm honestly suprised how Poke Balls and a high end storage system can exist in a world where otherwise technology isn't as prevalent. I mean having scientific fields dealing with Pokemon is one thing, but where's the ease of life stuff. You know, like flying cars.

At least Team Rocket shows off with a giant robot every now and then...

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 18, 2019
It's been stated in various canons that poke balls contain inner worlds of their own; they're designed for comfort and meant to encourage a pokemon to "curl up" into a natural state of defensiveness, as it's apparently best for rest and healing. In essence, poke balls are environments engineered to make a pokemon feel safe while also nudging them into resting and recuperating.

Pokemon and humans, while evolutionarily similar, possess notable differences that distinguish them. Pokemon's moves are a pretty good example, as is there ability to undergo some sort of rapid metamorphosis when their power levels exceed those of their current form - aka pokemon evolution. Presumably, there are other factors that also allow them to be captured by poke balls - factors that humans don't possess.

Them becoming data or energy isn't entirely impossible - the logic of it if we apply irl physics might be difficult to tweak - but then again, pokemon themselves are incredulous in the irl world anyway.

As for working on digimon - digimon aren't in the world of pokemon, and as with the ability to distinguish between humans and pokemon, I imagine that poke balls would be able to distinguish between digimon and pokemon too.

When it comes to technology, however, the pokemon world seems to be one with a heavy emphasis on integration with nature. People live on a much closer level with their fauna than we do here - they use them for all sorts. And think about it: why would you need flying cars when there are plenty of pokemon that can teleport you instantaneously to your desired location?

Back