• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do have any gender imbalances in your playthroughs?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Basically what the title says: do you ever notice the gender distribution of your teams? Do you find it to be skewed one way or another, and was it intentional or not?

I mostly do Nuzlockes now, and usually, the first encounters bestow me with a gender neutral team. That or when I finialize the team it became an even split. And if I have a skewed ratio, then possibly the next run will be the opposite. Or sometimes it's two runs with a 4:2 ratio and then a run that is massively biased to one gender.

As for my latest Nuzlocke, it's of the ROM hack Pokemon AlteRed. Y'know, that game where all the creatures gain type swaps or slight adjustments to stats. I. Have. SO. MANY. MALES. When sharing this on another site, I mentioned that I only had 2 female reserves, I was wrong, I have only one. Everything else, a COMPLETE sausagefest. Weirdly enough, the team was actually gender neutral at first, until all the females were killed in action. I seriously can't believe how I'm four badges in, yet all but ONE of my alive catches have balls! I'm expecting three female dominant runs after this, given my second paragraph.

Years
I used to have very imbalanced teams, since as a kid I almost always preferred male because I thought the symbol looked better. Then around gens 4/5 I went full female, can't remember why. I think I just really liked having female-only at the time lol.

Nowadays I try to have a healthy balance, but most of the time am not too bothered by what gender I get unless I'm breeding certain favorites for shinies/IVs.

Weirdly enough, the team was actually gender neutral at first, until all the females were killed in action.

lol :'(

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I allways prefer having gender variety on my teams if I can help it, just in case there is some trainer relying on Attract, Rivalry, or any gender-based strats that discourage mono-gender teams.

What I usually do, if it's a Pokémon that can be searched and caught with relative ease and I have the choice, is favoring the gender that suits them better. Most Pokémon designs work fine with both genders, but I find kind of weird having a male Gothitelle, or a female Mr. Mime/Rime (I mean, dude, it's MISTER, should have been a male only Pokémon like Tauros or the Hitmon family to begin with)

Years
I allways prefer having gender variety on my teams if I can help it, just in case there is some trainer relying on Attract, Rivalry, or any gender-based strats that discourage mono-gender teams.

What I usually do, if it's a Pokémon that can be searched and caught with relative ease and I have the choice, is favoring the gender that suits them better. Most Pokémon designs work fine with both genders, but I find kind of weird having a male Gothitelle, or a female Mr. Mime/Rime (I mean, dude, it's MISTER, should have been a male only Pokémon like Tauros or the Hitmon family to begin with)

Haha yeah, whenever I did challenge runs on games with a team that was just one gender then moves like Attract would be really annoying to deal with.

I have preferences for which Pokémon have which gender at times too, though most of the time not. But mons like Espeon and Meganium I prefer always being female, while things like Glalie and Zangoose I usually always catch as males.

(Mr. Mime's Japanese name doesn't have Mr. or anything similar in it so I guess that's why they can be female too. I guess localizers never expected Pokémon to end up having genders in later games aha)

Years
my teams generally skew towards females o: this is somewhat intentional, but i don't mind, really~ if my team happens to have a few male pokemon, that's fine, too.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i don't actively catch male or female pokemon and don't tend to notice patterns unless it's skewed heavily one way or the other. i used to be VERY particular when i was a kid tho. i would plan my teams down to everything. names, genders, abilities, the only thing i didn't care about was natures. don't know why i was so meticulous then lol. couldn't do that anymore.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
(Mr. Mime's Japanese name doesn't have Mr. or anything similar in it so I guess that's why they can be female too. I guess localizers never expected Pokémon to end up having genders in later games aha)

That makes sense then. Still, the name translators could have taken note and not repeat the same mistake 7 gens later with Mr. Rime, :D

Cid

Years
The most recent Nuzlocke I did had a pretty good balance of 'mons. Male Kyle and Berek, female Vanille, Shaniqua, and Amiti, and genderless Gumball. In regular playthroughs I notice a lot of male Pokemon end up in my team though. It doesn't help that starters are predominantly male :(

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Teams used to be very much one gender only when I was a kid but since then I started having teamswith a somewhat balanced ratio. I think what caused this behavior back then was influenced my how the games presented gender in general. Not sure if they still do it, but back then opposing male trainers exclusively had male Pokemon and female trainers had only female Pokemon.

Nowadays the only thing stopping this balance is when I decide to put a neutral Pokemon on the party.

Years
I always look for males in mine but after gen 4, I never really mind. unless I need it for a certain evolution or move. I always unintenionally end up with a majority of male pokemon, though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
A lot of the time? Yes, I'd say my teams have a big imbalance of male/female/genderless. It's never intentional, it just happens since gender ratios are wild as they are. :x

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
If I notice 5 males or 5 female Pokemon, I will go out of my way to make the last team member the opposite gender.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years

I know right? Oh, and my AlteRed team did have a 5M1F ratio at one point, but then the one female died to the last gym and was replaced by a male. I think I had maybe one other run where I only took males to the end of the game? But for this run, I did not expect it, and I also did not expect the body count to be all female save two team members either.

And in case anyone is wondering, no, the AlteRed team does not have any starters or gifts that tend to be male most of the time. Granted the hack made it that everyone has the same gender ratio they would have in the games, I believe all species I got had an equal chance of being either gender. But somehow they all ended up as male.

Years
I don't really pay attention to their genders so hard to say.
I just randomly catch whatever I feel like using on my team.
So there probably have been skewed gender distributions, but I don't pay attention to it so it's not something I'd notice xD

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I never pay attention to Gender. It just isn't that big of a deal for me unless I want a specific Gender form or evolution.

I will say that I used to get mostly males, at random, and it always seemed harder to get females, especially starter pokemon. But I've been getting a lot more females as of late and usually when I get a female starter, my entire team randomly ends up being mostly female lol.

But yeah for the most part, it isn't a big this for me. But I do prefer some form over others. Like with Pyroar, Meowstic and Unfezant, I prefer the male version for one reason or another. Mostly because there is more color with the male versions I think. And with say Gyarados, I prefer the female version, because the whiskers are both white in shiny and normal, and it just looks better with the over all color.

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Mar 6, 2022
Most of my teams are pretty imbalanced since I have planned teams with names and personalities all waiting for them. It switches up every generation though.

Charizard♂, Nidoking♂, Jolteon♂, Hypno♂, Vileplume♀, Poliwrath♂ (Mostly male)
Typhlosion♂, Ampharos♀, Cloyster♀, Crobat♂, Scizor♂, Espeon♂ (Mostly male)
Blaziken♀, Gardevoir♀, Roserade♀, Flygon♀, Sharpedo♂, Manectric♂ (Mostly female)
Infernape♀, Luxray♂, Roserade♀, Floatzel♂, Honchkrow♂, Weavile♀ (Equal)
Serperior♀, Seismitoad♂, Chandelure♂, Madibuzz♀, Galvantula♂, Meinshao♀ (Equal)
Delphox♂, Helioptile♀, Barbaracle♂, Trevanant♂, Noivern♂, Florges♀ (Mostly male)
Primarina♀, Ribombee♀, Tsareena♀, Noivern♂, Ampharos♀, Salazzle♀ (Mostly female)
Cinderace♀, Toxricity♂, Barbaracle♂, Applutun♂, Hatterene♀, Dragapult♀ (Equal)

Some Pokemon like Flygon and Lucario can go either way, but most Pokemon I think need to have certain genders that fit their name and personalities that I give them. ^^

Back