• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite WATER starter?

Favorite water starter?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I've heard a lot of talk about favorite grass starters but I realized that I have no idea what the most popular water starter is. So I'm asking.

What is your favorite water starter, and why? You may either consider the first evolution stage only, or consider its evolutions. Or both separately! Poor Froakie has none yet though...

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Squirtle and Mudkip. I mean, come on Blastoise and Swampert. Swampert with his huge HP and awesome type combo that also can learn ice and fighting moves, same goes for Blastoise. Also I've chosen them often as starters.

Years
Piplup (and later Empoleon) is not only my favorite Water type starter, but arguably my favorite of all the starters. It's got one of my favorite typings to date in Water/Steel, and was probably my best Pokemon when I played Platinum.

If I had to rank the Water starters in order, it would go Piplup-Squirtle-Mudkip-Oshawott-Totodile. I really don't have much of an opinion of Froakie yet, seeing as we still know very little about it and its evolutions.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I like Totodile's design, not too overdesigned and not too plain. All the other water starters are great too, I don't like Froakie very much though. Looks strange imo. But my opinion can still change when we see the evolutions of it. ;)

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Oshawott is the #1 starter I love out of all of them, mostly because of Dewott. It's the Pokemon's design what I love the most and the real-life animal its based contributes a lot to why I love Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott more than all the other starters.

4 out of the 6 generation starters I prefer the water types, as it's becoming my favorite type overall.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
i dont dislike any of the water starters, theyre all useful in some way and all have good designs imo. i think i just like piplup better because i love dawn's piplup in the anime and empoleon is a beast as well. in platinum, my empoleon owns.

Years
I liked all the Water starters from 3rd Gen and on, like Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott (you know me right) and even that little Froakie. I feel sad poor Froakie gets hated a lot for being "ugly" but I think he's cute. Oshawott is my absolute fave, with Mudkip and Piplup coming close. I didn't like Squirtle or Totodile cos I don't like the reptilian starters that much.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
that is so easy Squirtle of course it's a cute turtle with a squirrels tail. it may change after I try Froakie out in X and Y though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
This is actually quite tough...I'll discount Squirtle as I've never used one, with the exception of EV training one a couple of years ago (Although Blastoise is bad-ass) and Froakie as I'm not going to play Gen VI.

Oshawott is fairly decent, and I do like Samurott too...but Dewott is a bit iffy, and I don't really like Gen V enough, so that's out.
Totodile's pretty cute, I quite like Croconaw and Feraligatr too, and it's the only one I've beaten Red with on HeartGold. But probably not my favourite.

My favourites are either Mudkip or Piplup and their evolution lines. Mudkip was the starter I used when I first beat Emerald (and coincidentally is also part of my team the first time I've ever gotten a symbol in Gen III, a week ago), I can't really find a fault with any of the designs of its evolutions, Swampert's an absolute tank too.
Piplup, however, is a penguin. A damn cute one too, so much so that I've never used Turtwig because when I play Diamond and Platinum I have to use Piplup at least once. Prinplup's not bad design-wise, and Empoleon's got awesome styling and typing.
So I guess I'll vote for both of them.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I like Totodile because I think it's cute for the Pokemon its based on (Crocodiles are NOT cute, yet Totodile is)...also, it has good physical attacking stats, and decent defenses.

Feraligatr is basically the polar opposite of Totodile. While Toto is cute, Feraligatr is..well, ferocious. Its mouth is huge, and it has many teeth. The claws on its hands look ready to slice open anything in its path.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm having a hard time deciding and just had to vote for two.

Squirtle is pretty awesome with its shell and being a cute turtle and fairly basic in its design, which is something I appreciate. In-game, I never used it much though, except on Yellow version. Its evolutions keep the same feeling, imo, Wartortle being a fav middle evo.

Piplup, I hardly ever used in the games or anywhere really. but I appreciate its design and later its typing. Piplup is cute enough, Prinplup is a bit boring - but Empoleon makes up for it. Sure, it's a bit weirdly bulky but it works well and it having steel wings as weapons is pretty darn cool. I still think it would have been a cool thing if it was water/ice though. Since it's a penguin. It could have had ice shards emerging to line its wings and act as scythes.

Seems like Mudkip and Piplup are winning, looking at the poll :]

The others, I don't care as much for, even though I love Totodile's design and Dewott's everything pretty much. I don't like the other pokémon in those lives though. And Mudkip, I don't really like at all, except for in Hoenn games where I use it almost all the time xD But still, its design freaks me out too much. Just eww. *isn't bashing, just telling* :]

Froakie, I like. If his evolutions are anything close to this, he might end up my fav starter in gen VI.

pokemon-froakie-evolution.jpg

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Mudkip is the very first starter Pokémon I ever went with, so it has a special place in my heart. Piplup and Oshawott are close because they learn good moves, and their final forms look cool. Squirtle and Totodile are alright, but not too spectacular. I'm not sure about Froakie yet, since its evolved forms haven't been revealed yet and only 4 of its moves are known.

tnfsf11

I love all of them but my favorite is Totodile because aside from it being my first starter in a Pokemon game ever, its design is awesome, its stats are also pretty good, also it learns many non-water moves like Bite & Earthquake, I dislike that it's pure water though, imo it should be Water/Dark :)

Years
I like Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip & Piplup. I also like the evos of all of those four except Totodile.

I've never used Squirtle in the games so I'll eliminate it to try and reach a conclusion. I probably prefer Mudkip's evolutions over Piplup's so I guess Mudkip is my favourite water starter overall. I gave votes to Squirtle, Mudkip & Piplup on the poll though as I like them all quite a lot despite usually selecting the fire starter in games.

Froakie and Oshawott are pretty bad and Oshawott's evolutions are some of the worst starter evolutions in any generation so far.

Years
In order from most to least favorited: Totodile, Oshawott, Piplup, Squirtle, Mudkip, Froakie.

At first I thought an Attack-based Water-type starter was a pretty horrible idea, but then when I realized just how good Feraligatr is (with Earthquake, Ice Fang, Aqua Tail, and Crunch), it soon became my go-to Pokemon in SS, especially against Lance and his 3 (underleveled) Dragonite.

Oshawott is second because it evolves into this samurai sea lion. I like samurais (I mean, who doesn't? ._.'), and I thought all gen 5 starters were relatively meh at the beginning. Serperior literally loses its legs to become a snake, and Emboar was no more innovative with its typing as Infernape was (although Infernape is pretty cool...but straying off-topic here)

Piplup is third simply because of its unique typing as Empoleon. Slow, but it can take hits pretty well. Except Thunderbolts.

Finally, never used the other 2 (Squirtle and Mudkip), but Squirtle evolves into a tortoise with 2 cannons on its back. Seems pretty nice... Also, Froakie is...unappealing to me. That's all. I can't judge its battle ability, obviously.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
This is tough, it's between Squirtle, Piplup and Oshawott (those are the three times I've first picked water type)

I think I would have to rank them:

1. Squirtle
2. Oshawott
3. Piplup
4. Froakie
5. Totodile
6. Mudkip

I don't like Mudkip....even when the games first came out it was my least favourite of the three Hoenn starters but the internet meme didn't help at all.

Years
Squirtle and Totodile eeee. <3 :) They're super cute and will always be my favorites! I loved their portrayal in the anime. Froakie's making its way to the top of that list too, though.

Back