Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

TrollandToad.com

Old August 9th, 2017 (4:30 AM).

Nature: Lonely
    I've wanted to create my own hacks for years, and I've tried on and off. Even though I suck at it and can never find any information to help me, I've kept trying. When Nintendo shut down two Pokemon fan games, I gave up. Is it really worth it to waste my time making a Pokemon game when it's going to be banned?

If this is in the wrong section, just move it. You don't have to yell at me and call me names. Ive been on this site a lot, i know what the mods are like.

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 9th, 2017 (7:49 AM).
    Free supporter
    • Silver Tier

It's a hobby at best. If you don't enjoy it, don't make a hack and give up. The context may sound negative, but it's perfectly alright to stop doing something you don't enjoy.

As for hacking in general without knowledge, it comes down to how much you're willing to spend time learning on. In my opinion, hacking without C and programming tools is very boring and tedious.
    Old August 10th, 2017 (6:15 AM).
    Spanish Rom Hacker

If you want your hack to get famous or make profit with it you shouldn't try that hard, but making small games for fun and share them in forums like people here does it's good as long as you like it. It's just a hobby and you choose in what you spend your free time.
      Old August 12th, 2017 (2:36 AM).
      Not Bored

Nature: Bashful
      Nintendo don't shut down any old game. There are a variety of factors that come into play. Here are a few:
      • Are you making money off of your game? Are you taking donations? Offering exclusive content by paying? (This includes ad revenue from a website)
      • Is the game popular during a main or other major release? (Pokémon Prism so close to Sun Moon. It draws attention from those games and that is the last thing they want.)
      • How many official assets and resources does the game use of the official games?
      • Does the game have online connectivity?
      These are some reasons for Nintendo to potentially take down a game. You want to avoid these as much as possible.

PS: These especially apply to fangames, but I'm sure a good chunk (if not everything) applies to hacks as well.
      Old August 14th, 2017 (2:25 AM).

Nature: Serious
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by M3rein View Post
        Nintendo don't shut down any old game. There are a variety of factors that come into play. Here are a few:
        • Are you making money off of your game? Are you taking donations? Offering exclusive content by paying? (This includes ad revenue from a website)
        • Is the game popular during a main or other major release? (Pokémon Prism so close to Sun Moon. It draws attention from those games and that is the last thing they want.)
        • How many official assets and resources does the game use of the official games?
        • Does the game have online connectivity?
        These are some reasons for Nintendo to potentially take down a game. You want to avoid these as much as possible.

PS: These especially apply to fangames, but I'm sure a good chunk (if not everything) applies to hacks as well.
        do you think Uranium was knocked out possibly due to online MP? that's terribly discomforting that a game can get cut down for online content...
        Old August 14th, 2017 (3:08 AM).
        Not Bored

Nature: Bashful
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by TheGamingPaladin View Post
        do you think Uranium was knocked out possibly due to online MP? that's terribly discomforting that a game can get cut down for online content...
        They won't take down a game just because it has online functionality, but Nintendo are known not to like fangames that do offer that.
        Old 6 Days Ago (11:53 AM).

Nature: Lonely
          Think about: Why spent so great ideias in rom hacking without earn money, receive critics, getting deadlines and criticism from members. I think, imagine that potential of creativity in game developing community? I don't think rom hacking these days are worth of

~We all have bad days...~
          Old 5 Days Ago (11:31 AM).
          [Primal Despair] Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla

Nature: Lax
            If your primary mindset going into game development is just "I want to make money", you probably aren't interested in making games so much as you are cashing in on a trend that people enjoy. That is not to say you shouldn't make money off of making games if you enjoy it, but if it's your primary motivation, your only reason to make them is so you can bring in the $revenue, then you could easily find something else that takes a lot less to learn and make the same amount of cash, if not more.

Regardless of whether or not money is involved, making games should be a labor of love and passion, regardless of if it's a rom hack, a fan game, an original creation, anything. Sure, there are certain risks involved with making a fangame of a privately owned IP, and you could be shut down for any reason, but that doesn't stop people. The reason for that? Because they love making games, they want to make something they enjoy. A story they want to tell, an experience they want to create, an adventure they want to share, these reasons, among others, are why people make games. I think, given those reasons, it's still worth it to make a ROM hack if that's what you want to do, or even use these skills and knowledge to move on to greener pastures, and become a full fledged independent game developer.
            For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
            Game Projects:
            In Progress:
            Old 3 Days Ago (3:47 PM). Edited 3 Days Ago by FL.
            Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Anti-HyperLink View Post
              I've wanted to create my own hacks for years, and I've tried on and off. Even though I suck at it and can never find any information to help me, I've kept trying. When Nintendo shut down two Pokemon fan games, I gave up. Is it really worth it to waste my time making a Pokemon game when it's going to be banned?
              We have thousands of rom hacks projects and only two are banned. I'm guessing that there is a bigger chance of creator dies while making the hack than shutting down by Nintendo.
              Old 3 Days Ago (4:57 PM).

I would say yes, but we as a community need to work on being more discreet. When our fan games get too popular, Nintendo shuts them down. They shut one of my hacks down a few weeks ago.
                http://www.mediafire.com/file/f2a2x3x1l016nyq/Pokemon+LeafGreen+Balanced+Alolan+Version.ips
                Check the link for yourself. It was popular, but I didn't think it warranted their attention. Apparently I was wrong.
                Old 2 Days Ago (3:31 AM). Edited 2 Days Ago by FL.
                Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Gegalix View Post
                  They shut one of my hacks down a few weeks ago.
                  http://www.mediafire.com/file/f2a2x3x1l016nyq/Pokemon+LeafGreen+Balanced+Alolan+Version.ips
                  Check the link for yourself. It was popular, but I didn't think it warranted their attention. Apparently I was wrong.
                  Man, this is a bot for hunting original roms and similar stuff, or do you reallt thinks than "[email protected]" works for Nintendo? This happened with me some times, I explained the situation to mediafire an got my link back.

The only fangames/hacks than Nintendo legitimate shut down that I know are: Uranium (fangame), Prism (hack) and Brown/Rijon (hack, more because of Prism). Evoas (fangame) and Fusion Generation (fangame), also got shutdown, but I can't verify if was legit.

The bot that cause me trouble was searching for these words on file names:

Spoiler:
                  METROID, MARIO, PES, SILENT HILL, DEAD SPACE, TWISTED METAL, DRAGON BALL, GRAND THEFT AUTO, SUPER SMASH BROS., MORTAL KOMBAT, WARCRAFT, RATCHET AND CLANK, AGE OF MYTHOLOGY, SIMS 3, THE, ZOO TYCOON, HITMAN, POKEMON, CONTRA, TOMB RAIDER, RESIDENT EVIL, NHL, CASTLEVANIA, INFINITY BLADE, NEED FOR SPEED, DIABLO, MASS EFFECT, ASSASSIN'S CREED, CALL OF DUTY, PAC-MAN, STATE OF DECAY, FIFA MANAGER, MEDAL OF HONOR, MARVEL VS. CAPCOM, SPLINTER CELL, DEVIL MAY CRY, FIFA, GRAN TURISMO, NARUTO, UNREAL TOURNAMENT, TEKKEN, MONSTER HUNTER, YU-GI-OH!, AGE OF EMPIRES, COMMAND AND CONQUER, LITTLE BIG PLANET, PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES, DONKEY KONG, SCRIBBLENAUTS, GEARS OF WAR, WWE, YOSHI, DRAGON QUEST, STREET FIGHTER, FINAL FANTASY, RAYMAN, SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION, JAK AND DAXTER, SOCOM, ACE COMBAT, STARCRAFT, MIDNIGHT CLUB, LEGEND OF ZELDA, THE, CRYSIS, BURNOUT, NBA 2K, GOD OF WAR, BATMAN ARKHAM, FAR CRY, INFAMOUS, HALO, BIONIC COMMANDO, LEGO
                  Old 2 Days Ago (2:16 PM). Edited 2 Days Ago by Mewtwolover.
                  Mewtwo worshiper

Nature: Naughty
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FL View Post
                    The only fangames/hacks than Nintendo legitimate shut down that I know are: Uranium (fangame), Prism (hack) and Brown/Rijon (hack, more because of Prism).
                    Fun fact is that they failed in every case. Uranium and Prism are still alive, they're being developed by anonymous team so they can't be shut down again. Brown is still floating around the Internet because it was finished and released before Nintendo C&D'd it.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FL View Post
                    Evoas (fangame) and Fusion Generation, also got shutdown, but I can't verify I was legit.
                    Evoas source files are still available but it's made with Flash so nobody will continue developing it. Fusion Generation is still available.
                    Old 2 Days Ago (4:07 PM).

So long as we as a community are discreet, then ROM hacking will be alive and well worth it. We have to live in the shadows.
                      Old 2 Days Ago (4:36 PM).
                      The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D's Avatar
                      The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D is offline

rom hacking to me is making a hobby out a series you love and grew up on, and possibly showing love to it for others to also share

Hey guys, I think you would enjoy a Pokemon RPG: Pokemon Eclipse!

It has all the current pokes. And More!!
                        Lost of variety of things to do while playing. See how high you can level your poke past 100?
                        Whats the rarest poke you can find!!
                        *New features have been added~*
                        Hope to see ya there :D
                        Old 1 Day Ago (2:14 PM).
                        [Primal Despair] Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla

Nature: Lax
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Gegalix View Post
                          So long as we as a community are discreet, then ROM hacking will be alive and well worth it. We have to live in the shadows.
                          We don't have to "live in the shadows" or any such thing, we just have to not be foolish about what we do.

Uranium took patreon donations. That was making money off of an IP that the Uranium team did not own, and was using against the copyright holder's wishes.
                          Prism made a professional-looking trailer. It was also slated to release on Christmas of 2016, which just happened to be right after Sun and Moon's release; holidays such as Christmas are always the best time to buy games, and it's possible that these two factors combined are what cemented Prism's fate.

Both of these things did things that drew additional attention to them. The Prism trailer especially considering it got well over a million views in 24 hours. Once more, it's not about staying in the shadows, it's about not walking into an open field outside the Game Freak headquarters with a target painted all over you that says "I AM MAKING STUFF USING YOUR IP. COME AND STOP ME.". It's about exercising restraint and understanding what you should and shouldn't do. Uranium and Prism were a hard reminder of what we shouldn't do, and it's our job to learn and remember in the future.
                          For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
                          Game Projects:
                          In Progress:
                          Old 3 Hours Ago (1:48 PM).

Nature: Calm
                            1. What's bad about a professional hack trailer? We need more.
                            2. Is alright to be released on Christmas, just make a Pokemon game isn't released then

Anyways, it was mainly because of ad revenue on the prism ad and the fact it is all ip anyways. We know what we're doing isn't legal.

Name: Lilley
                            Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quick Reply