• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essentials "To Do" list

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
For those of you who're interested, here's my To Do list.

It's roughly split up into 3 sections, depending on how important I think each feature is (the third section also contains features that need more research first). There's no order to each of the sections. There's also a few notes at the bottom.

As you can see, it's a big list, and I'm sure it's incomplete. Bear in mind that, even though a feature is listed, it may well end up not going into Essentials after all.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can always have a go at doing some of the things listed. If you're not quite so brave, you can instead let me know if there's anything in this list that needs changing/adding.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
I would love to add some things, but my Ruby knowledge is really only elementary... However, some thoughts:

§ [FONT=&quot]Make AI depend on the base payout of the owner trainer (wild=0)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
At first I was like, that's brilliant! But reconsidering, how difficult would it be to set it to a player-determined flag instead? I ask because I have some trainer classes in my game, for instance, StreetRat (hobos. >>) who I want to be as difficult as normal trainers, but for obvious reasons, give very little money. Similarly, classes like Rich Boy might become too difficult then.
That said, this probably is a very good fix if setting flags would be problematic.

[FONT=&quot]Put the save file in the game's folder, or a "save" folder within it[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Currently saves in C:/Users/<user>/Saved Games/<game name>
[/FONT]
I'm actually very glad that it saves externally. Firstly because it means I don't have to ask players to move their save files every update, but moreso because it means that I can pack the game into a single .exe (SFX archive) that auto-unpacks to a temp archive. If the save file were stored internally, in that temp archive, they'd lose their progress each time they played.
So, when you do change this, maybe make it an option for the developer?

· [FONT=&quot]Change default key controls[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]F5 is in a stupid place, and should be closer to the rest of the controls[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What would be the best layout?[/FONT]
This is probably the most requested change from my players. They definitely agree about F5.
But, another thing that I've heard from many of them (and I agree myself)- they want controls to be like Visual Boy Advanced. Funny story though, uh, those controls are customizable too, so no telling what they really mean by that. However, Z/X are usually A/B, and Enter is Start. I think Select is Shift or Backspace? I know RMXP's button mapping is different though, which makes this challenging.
I know Pokemon Raptor EX had a script that allowed the player to set their own controls at the start of the game. It worked really well from what I could tell. Any chance of maybe including that?

[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Create a "Vs" animation to be shown before certain trainer battles[/FONT]
I don't think you need to worry about this too much. It's really easy to do with picture event commands (and I am in fact doing it, although granted it's a static image and more styled to Gen IV than V), and it's not as if any auto-generated Trainer Battle is likely to require this.
Spoiler:

Obviously this example is from v5, but it wasn't hard to update to v6. But if you decide to include them and want the template I use to make these, I'd be happy to share it.

[FONT=&quot]Simplify the day/night system[/FONT]
I've opted not to use this because it lags the game a lot, even on my more powerful machine. From what I've read, it seems I'm also not the only person to observe this. I don't know if the changes you have outlined will help lag or not, but I'm mentioning the issue just in case.

· [FONT=&quot]Have a variable that affects which trainer card picture is shown (if undefined, defaults to male/female)[/FONT]
Remembering the five star thing in Gen IV (maybe in other gens too and I just wasn't paying attention), I think this would be really cool.

[FONT=&quot]Make a new shop screen but for Coins, and returns items/Pokémon
This is another thing that's fairly easy to do with Event Commands. I'd say save your efforts for things that require scripts.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Find out how to use MySQL[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Use it to allow battling with other players[/FONT]
If you manage to do this, you will change my life so much, you don't even know. My website runs an online league, which I'm creating my game based off. If we were able to hybridize the league's PvP nature with the game, I'm pretty sure the sheer level of awesome would result in a nuclear fission somewhere.

[FONT=&quot]Add a constant sound effect for low HP[/FONT]
This is one thing my players have asked that I never include, and frankly I can't blame them. XD I know it's a staple feature of the games, but maybe make an option to turn it off, too?

[FONT=&quot]Look through scripts, see if there are lurking things that need documenting[/FONT]
Perhaps I did overlook it, but searching through the scripts and wiki, I haven't found any documentation on the call settings for Triple Triad.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
For those of you who're interested, here's my To Do list.

It's roughly split up into 3 sections, depending on how important I think each feature is (the third section also contains features that need more research first). There's no order to each of the sections. There's also a few notes at the bottom.

As you can see, it's a big list, and I'm sure it's incomplete. Bear in mind that, even though a feature is listed, it may well end up not going into Essentials after all.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can always have a go at doing some of the things listed. If you're not quite so brave, you can instead let me know if there's anything in this list that needs changing/adding.

Wow 13 pages. I like your to do list if it is worked on Essentials will greatly improve. I also didn't know all them bugs actually existed. Maruno you are a pillar of this community for working on this project as much as you have already. I like essentials but I'm not a huge fan I have however played/tested the latest version. its nice I just don't like the battle redesign. Everything else is fine.

A suggestion, when the battle starts I think there should be a slight delay before effects such as intimidate should occur.

[FONT=&quot]Put the save file in the game's folder, or a "save" folder within it[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Currently saves in C:/Users/<user>/Saved Games/<game name>[/FONT]

I think its good it saves externally.

F5 is in a stupid place, and should be closer to the rest of the controls

Personally its in a good place. It make it impossible to accidentally hit the button.

[FONT=&quot]Remove support for ROM savegame reading?[/FONT]
This would be a good idea in my opinion

[FONT=&quot]Remove important items from a vendor's list if the player already has it (like with Marts)[/FONT]
I dont think this would be smart, some people want more of one item, regardless if its needed.

[FONT=&quot]Allow the price of each item in a Mart to be customized[/FONT]
Cant this already be done in the items.txt file? or do you mean in game?

my last thing I think all player characters and tiles sets should be updated to include at least d/p/p and the player characters should include the d/p/p Ow's which can be found easily I could send you them if you'd like.

Also the example maps should be re done with these new tiles. I could maybe volunteer for this task if you want it done.

Maruno

Years
At first I was like, that's brilliant! But reconsidering, how difficult would it be to set it to a player-determined flag instead? I ask because I have some trainer classes in my game, for instance, StreetRat (hobos. >>) who I want to be as difficult as normal trainers, but for obvious reasons, give very little money. Similarly, classes like Rich Boy might become too difficult then.
That said, this probably is a very good fix if setting flags would be problematic.
That's something you'd really need to do for your own game; it's not useful enough to warrant putting it in Essentials. If you Street Rats have a unique base payout, then it wouldn't be too difficult to amend the AI to say "if skill>=70 || skill==5" (or whatever).

The thing is, AI is supposed to depend on the base payout. The code's all there for it. I was surprised to find out it isn't actually used.

I'm actually very glad that it saves externally. Firstly because it means I don't have to ask players to move their save files every update, but moreso because it means that I can pack the game into a single .exe (SFX archive) that auto-unpacks to a temp archive. If the save file were stored internally, in that temp archive, they'd lose their progress each time they played.
So, when you do change this, maybe make it an option for the developer?
As I said, they're just ideas I've had.

This is probably the most requested change from my players. They definitely agree about F5.
But, another thing that I've heard from many of them (and I agree myself)- they want controls to be like Visual Boy Advanced. Funny story though, uh, those controls are customizable too, so no telling what they really mean by that. However, Z/X are usually A/B, and Enter is Start. I think Select is Shift or Backspace? I know RMXP's button mapping is different though, which makes this challenging.
I know Pokemon Raptor EX had a script that allowed the player to set their own controls at the start of the game. It worked really well from what I could tell. Any chance of maybe including that?
As I recall, Raptor EX asked you to define the entire set of controls every time you started the game, which is a very bad thing to do.

My VBA controls have X as confirm, Z as back/run, S as pause, and A as registered item.

I don't think you need to worry about this too much. It's really easy to do with picture event commands (and I am in fact doing it, although granted it's a static image and more styled to Gen IV than V), and it's not as if any auto-generated Trainer Battle is likely to require this.
Spoiler:

Obviously this example is from v5, but it wasn't hard to update to v6. But if you decide to include them and want the template I use to make these, I'd be happy to share it.
I don't worry about it, but a lot of people have been asking for it recently which is why it's in the list. Choosing a design would be the first step.

I've opted not to use this because it lags the game a lot, even on my more powerful machine. From what I've read, it seems I'm also not the only person to observe this. I don't know if the changes you have outlined will help lag or not, but I'm mentioning the issue just in case.
I've not heard anyone mention lag since version 1, when I downgraded the day/night system. I can only assume it's gone now. It's on the list because I think it should be even simpler.

If you manage to do this, you will change my life so much, you don't even know. My website runs an online league, which I'm creating my game based off. If we were able to hybridize the league's PvP nature with the game, I'm pretty sure the sheer level of awesome would result in a nuclear fission somewhere.
I know it's possible. It's probably also possible for the MySQL database to keep a high score, if you wanted to go that far. The first thing would be to get the GTS working, because the battle system would probably be harder to change.

This is one thing my players have asked that I never include, and frankly I can't blame them. XD I know it's a staple feature of the games, but maybe make an option to turn it off, too?
I don't like that obnoxious sound effect, and I don't think it's necessary when the HP bar is right there. I'm not even sure how to make the sound effect loop anyway.

Remove important items from a vendor's list if the player already has it (like with Marts)
I dont think this would be smart, some people want more of one item, regardless if its needed.
Important items are Key Items, HMs, and infinite TMs. They don't have their quantities shown in the Bag. The player isn't supposed to ever have more than one of each of them.

Allow the price of each item in a Mart to be customized
Cant this already be done in the items.txt file? or do you mean in game?
I mean prices specific to a particular Mart (e.g. for Discount Friday, or more expensive items in remote places, or whatever). It's not a feature that exists in the official games, as far as I know, but I think it'd be nice to have.

my last thing I think all player characters and tiles sets should be updated to include at least d/p/p and the player characters should include the d/p/p Ow's which can be found easily I could send you them if you'd like.

Also the example maps should be re done with these new tiles. I could maybe volunteer for this task if you want it done.
There's a thread somewhere specifically for the redesigning of the example maps.

I'd actually like to keep the FRLG tilesets, because they're just rips from the game rather than someone's artwork. This also means keeping the FRLG charsets, because Gen 4/5 ones don't match. The trainer sprites, though (as seen in battle) can be from the later Gens.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
First, I'd like to say, I'm you took what I said and went along, becasue now we can all help, you have a nice big list to work through so there are things others can contribute that others will not see, this is what makes game developent so fun haha.

Now...

I mean prices specific to a particular Mart (e.g. for Discount Friday, or more expensive items in remote places, or whatever). It's not a feature that exists in the official games, as far as I know, but I think it'd be nice to have.

This I already have working and is on one of the threads I made regarding this effect, you can take it and edit it how you like, for example, making a check with variables HALFPRICEFRIDAYS, DOUBLEPAYTUESDAYS, however you like in the "Settings" Script page and refer that way, so users can change this without problems.

As for everything else, I'm not going to quote everyone on this, as my post would be huge, so I'm kinda gonna through my point along, and say where I got it from if it was someone else idea.

There is a lot of things I can actually do in that list, where I just scouted through and noticed a few things, but I viewed this on my phone, now I'm on a laptop I can properly look through this.

As for what has been mentioned:

AI intelligence; I have this in my game and it has nothing to do with the payout, this I assume, you mean the end money received, as in my game you receive no money at the end of the battle, this wouldn't work for me! So to contemplate games like mine, AI would officially be ruined, so maybe come up with a new way, I can however contribute my way to you VIA PM, but I thought my way is unique and smart, but you could always add it officially into Essentials, it's up to you...

F5; This is in a good place in my opinion, I actually had button choosing in my game, but figured, I don't care how others want there buttons, with all the features I have in my game, remembering what buttons they have changed theirs to will confuse them, so it's probably a good thing to keep it "standard", don't change this, unless you give users the ability VIA the "Settings" script...

VS. Animation; This is a personal opinion isn't it? I can have this in my game, I made the graphics myself, I made a lot of this myself, to make mine different from others and it fully works how I wanted this... Obviously, you can shove some script in there, or the event itself and it can be used willy nilly if wanted, but don't make this a high importance when other users with little or no abillity can do this...

Player Card; I for one wouldn't like changes to this, I had a nice way of this set out before the big change earlier this year, and then I have re-changed it again, and if you change the layout or such, again, it would cause more unneccasary changes for myself and others again, if you mean just the colour or something like that then this comment is stupid haha...

Shop Coins; What? This for game corner? Things like this require no scripting knowledge, as it's simple to do with an event even a begginer to RPGMaker can do this.

PvP; Haha, I'd be kidding if I didn't want this in.

HP Sound; Ahhhh! The second most annoying sound effect ever to be made... 1st. Walking into something... 2nd. Low HP...

ROM Reading; Huh? Never new this was there... Not needed I guess.

Remove Important Items; I guess this could make the Marts look tidier, BUT, just because you own the item, it shouldn't take that away from the Marts, maybe add a check instead to see if you already own the Key Items, and have a message saying "Oh! You already own this.", when I go to a Mart and it doesn't have the item I'm looking for, I move to the next, if it's removed because I own it, maybe I found it on the floor but didn't realise, if it were a TM, I would get mad haha!

That was what was already covered by others...

Maruno's List said:
Bug: Events on water can't move if the player isn't surfing, and can move onto land
Invent the event name "Swimmer" as a counterpart to "Trainer", with its own allowed movements

I think this would be a good idea, although, I didn't know they can move onto land but my swimmers barely move, I think side to side is the most they move, so I would never of found this.

Maruno's List said:
Bug: An item ball should disappear before the message stating an item has been gained

This is a one liner I believe! I'm sure I just put remove graphic before the receiving of the item... You or anyone could do this now and this can be removed off the list, I'm sure...

Maruno's List said:
Add Gen 5 Pokémon

This is not important, it's what SOME people would like to see, not everyone... If they want Gen 5 Pokémon, add them in themself for the time being.

Maruno's List said:
Include egg hatching screen (similar to evolution screen) – overlay crack pictures on the egg sprite

I don't know how to do the crack seen, other than changing the graphic, but if I knew how to show pictures in the right position and stuff, I would do this, I don't know what the co-ordinates of the center of the screen are... the best I could do on this is, look into it, but I will leave this to someone else, I'm sying this because I'd like this in sooner rather than later.

Maruno's List said:
Improve the evolution animation

I'm not too sure what this looks like, but didn't the official games only have a Pokémon in the center of the screen, then it changed white, then the evolved form "grew" from behind and was white also?! This shouldn't be too hard to do, I don't know what Black and White looks like, so if this has something special, I wouldn't know.

Maruno's List said:
Improve the trading animation
o Allow setting the ball type of the new Pokémon as well?

The trading screen thus far is pathetic haha! Although... I like how it's short and straight to the point, maybe make something that is the same but prettier!

Maruno's List said:
Improve the "using move outside battle" animation, e.g. proper background picture/swooshing things

I don't like things that long the gaming experience out... I'd prefer, "Oh, I used Cut, oh the bush has been cut, let's continue the game...", FLY however needs an animation of some sort, but this can be done easily enough.

Maruno's List said:
Change default key controls
o F5 is in a stupid place, and should be closer to the rest of the controls
o What would be the best layout?
o Make surfacing button be the back/cancel button?

o No it doesn't.
o Fine how it is.
and
o I think surfacing should have it's own button or stay how it is and fix the event encounter thing instead.

Maruno's List said:
Find out how to allow instant text (particularly in battle)

I want this myself... Like how the games call messages like "Oh no, my last Pokémon, this is where it gets interesting."

Maruno's List said:
Make choosing a number only allow valid numbers

Do you mean, Number Input? If it's this, then it's easily done VIA labels... Otherwise I don't know why I opened my mouth haha.

Maruno's List said:
Lots of sound effects are missing:
o When using a HP-healing item, or EV/PP-manipulating item
o Pokémon storage in general
o Buying an item from a Mart
o Learning a move
o Non-active battlers upon their level up
o Fleeing a battle
o A "ping" sound effect for each ball in the line-up at the start of battle
o Calling a Pokémon out – does this already exist?
o Exp bar in battle while increasing (not just upon level up)

o I don't think the sound is available.
o What?
o I've got this in my game, I thought it was already in haha.
o A suond is played here?
o Didn't know this either.
o This is needed, also, a slight "lag" should be here.
o Why?
o You on about the pop when a Pokémon appears, I'm sure it does...
o Isn't this the same sound as Poiton being used?

Maruno's List said:
Bug: Using a healing item makes the HP bar immediately jump to the new value, rather than animating it

I've done this, I will pass this on to you when I get on RPGMaker later.

Maruno's List said:
Bug: A map with nil BGM will keep playing the BGM of the previous map – is this a bug?

I hope you don't change this, in KANTO, Route's 24 and 25 use the same music, right? So I wouldn't want the music to "re-start", if developers don't want the last music to play, change the new map to have a "fade BGM out", event.

Maruno's List said:
Debug options
o Main debug:
§ Set player name, set player's ID
§ Toggle badges
§ Allow setting moves of a test wild battle?
§ "Warp to map" with coordinates
§ Loop the "Add Pokémon" and "Add single item" option

o Possibly.
o I think this should be in.
o I think so.
o Possibly.
o Not sure what this means?

Maruno's List said:
New Settings:
o Roaming Pokémon and roam maps
o Array of which Bag pockets auto-sort themselves
o Use old or new Exp calculations (i.e. without/with using the gainer's level)

This are things that should be looked in to... I've seen a few people, or the one person repeating themselves haha, not sure, but they wanted auto sorting, I wouldn't say no to this, TM's for one, but this would have to make the "select" button, not to be able to select too...

Maruno's List said:
Field:
o Make Escape Rope and Dig return the player to the last-used cave entrance (put a script in the cave entrance transition to set this location)
o Using Teleport/Dig/Escape Rope should make the player spin on the spot
o Create a def that drops the player through a hole (destination map and coordinates are parameters for this def)
§ It transfers to the new map centred on the destination, but player is put above the top of the screen and then moved quickly down to the destination. Play thud sound and slight screen shake
§ How about falling into water? Put surfing on during the transfer (ignore checking whether surfing is possible – just show a debug message to that effect)
o Add in cracking ice (similar to how soot grass works) – use alongside the "drop through a hole" def mentioned above, with the coordinates determined like how diving does it
§ First step on tile (fresh -> cracked)
§ Second step on tile (cracked -> hole, fall through)
§ Sound effects
o Make roamers array be individual Pokémon, to allow more than 1 per species
o Make a roamer on map X able to turn up in an encounter on map Y if the two maps have the same name
§ Stop roamers roaming when stepping between two maps with the same name
§ Each long route has one "representative" map, which the roamer's icon appears on in the Town Map (if implemented)
o Allow the use of \v[42] in map names – would require a big change to the save file again
o Add Hall of Fame
o Check that ledge-jumping makes the player go to the right height (currently too high?)
o Make the player's surfing sprites animate even while standing still, and at a constant (lower) speed
o Improve how dependent events move (e.g. which way they face when moving)

Right...

Teleport, should have an animation, I don't believe it should spin, I have created a "teleport" effect for a wild Pokémon, clearly ABRA, and I think it looks sexy, I don't have a recording program and the few I tried I can't ge tthe hang of, so a video quickly wouldn't be coming from me, but I shall take a few screenshots later to show my example, I think make it my way or similar, let's make Essentials better than the official games haha.

I thought DIG and Escape Rope, already worked properly, I have never used these to be honest...

Roamers need working on and the things you just said I thought up myself, I had 2 maps the same, connected, but the roamer moved when I "changed" maps... Which was quite annoying.

\v[42]?! You what?! Why would a variable be used in a maps name?

Hall of Fame, this needs adding, but I am currently working on the Pokémon League in my game, as it's almost complete, so I will soon be looking into this myself, questions I have about this;
Could this be done through events?
Pictures and text...?
Have a podium scene instead...?
Show credits immediatly after?
I have a few views on this and the Podium idea is where I will probably go, Ash never went into any kind of HoF, asides the footprint thing, this could be done through events I believe! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ledges, the player jumps WAY too high, I can't find how to fix this though I'm affraid.

Maruno's List said:
Add animations for throwing bait and throwing rocks (start by copying the "throw ball" animation)

Does the different balls have different animations, as PokéBall has a high altitude, MasterBall appears to be thrown directly at the Pokémon... If so, Bait is like PokéBall I believe and Rock is like MasterBall...

Maruno's List said:
Add in mini-games:

I don't think you should add many games, most people with RMXP experience can make some games VIA events, others with scripting knowledge can use scripts, I have knowledge of both, more of the one less of the latter, and I have lot's of in-game, mini games, keep it as it is I say.

Maruno's List said:
Triple Triad

There is nothing you can do other than play the game right, maybe make a new way to get cards, other than the triad shop which is the same as your PokéDex.

Maruno's List said:
Maybe add some more move target options:
o Single opposing Pokémon (not selected at random)
o User and ally
o All Pokémon

I thought this already worked, or does it not give you the option to "select"?!

Maruno's List said:
Rename HealingSpot to FlyDestination, because that's what it is

Unneccasary change... It's not really a problem as there is a replace function in any text program, but this is up to you.

Maruno's List said:
Create berry.txt PBS file for berry-related info (growth rate/yield)

I am in the process of writing this (not sure if it's the same idea you have), it's coming along very slowly as I'm currently not using berries, until a new region is made, but it's start... I'm currently very knowledgable about how to read and write VIA .txt files as this is what I've been learning most recently.

Maruno's List said:
Add support for registering non-Key Items (e.g. Repel)
o Delete 1 of the registered item each time it's used (unless it's an important item) – it's difficult to decide when it was used successfully
o Deregister everything when you've run out of the registered item
o Alternatively, make F5 pop up a menu listing every item/move that can be used – context-sensitive

This is a good idea, I've never thought of this.

Maruno's List said:
Add a Gen 3-and-later style starter selection screen

I made a PokéBall viewing type screen, where the screen changed to grey, 3 PokéBalls appeared and depending on left or right button being pressed 2 balls shaded grey and the other ball opened and the Pokémon sprite was shown, it didn't start right however, all balls were coloured properly instead of one already selected, for one to be selected a button had to be pressed and if left was pressed, the left ball would be open, if right was pressed, the center ball was open (you can see the "not right" part there)... But I scrapped it a long time ago to change for how my starter Pokémon choice is now, I can hunt this down for you... I think it will be a massive push, but I will look into it and let you know.

Maruno's List said:
Add into Options screen an "instant" text display option

Good idea, but this would look horrible unless it's for 1 word sentences!

Maruno's List said:
Allow the uploading of your own team, and downloading someone else's team for an NPC to use

This would be a good idea, I've looked into this, vaguely though! And I've come up with one solution, don't bother, haha... I didn't go into much detail though, just a quick check really.

Maruno's List said:
Allow multiple saves (with limited slots)
o One slot per adventure, or any adventure can save to all slots?
o "Continue" will resume the latest save, but can also load another savegame
o Allow saves to be named?

I don't see the point... If you go ahead, deffinitly have continue to use last saved game, also, keep, how the screen looks, but, replace that big boring space underneath new game and options to "view" recent saved games, with the Pokémon icons to the right in, not so much a list, but a row styled list, an idea, but I wouldn't go too much into this as of now.

Maruno's List said:
Add a Mystery Gift feature
o Can distribute items and Pokémon this way (one at a time)
o Can use it to set Global Switches/Variables
o Need to limit the player to 1 of each gift somehow (save a copy of every gift code received, then do a comparison?)
o Include a brief message with each gift
o Gift Pokémon are generated when received, and can have different pIDs/etc. unless overwritten by the gift
o Have a default OT/OT ID/OT gender

I thought mystery gift was available already, I have it in my game... I don't use it though.

Maruno's List said:
Add swarming Pokémon
o There is a list of swarming Pokémon, and the map/encounter method/levels for each of them
o One swarmer is chosen at random at midnight, but only if a certain switch is ON (typically set upon gaining the National Dex)
o When determining an encounter, there is a 40% chance that it will be with a swarming Pokémon, and 60% chance of a regular encounter
o A registered trainer on that map can call the player to tell them about swarm (needs new messages)

I'm currently in the midst, of working on this, hold back on this, as I'm getting pretty close to comepleting this, just trying to get help from KitsuneKouta on something which, if possible, this will have to change... As of now, swarms can be made by using touch events when switch[blah] is on... I have overworld encounters in my game and to make them work as iff they "flee", I use a variable:

random variable[blah] = 0-4.
if variable[blah] == #, make wild encounter.

That would give the Pokémon a chance of encounter... It works, it's fine, but messy, hence why I'm working on another way... Oh I should never use the word "hence".

Maruno's List said:
Region map:
o Allow changing the map graphics at various times, e.g.
§ Change the map picture itself (to show visited hidden locations)
§ Colour in town dots when visited (wall maps are always fully coloured)
o For unvisited locations, maybe don't show location details (in player's map only)?

In addition to this, maybe add a clickable map, like a co-ordinates thing, like one of the Final Fantasy games, think 10, where to find secret locations, you click the co-ordinates...

Maruno's List said:
Battles:
o Add support for battlers that animate only upon when being sent in
o Let constantly animated Pokémon be animated even while using a move and during messages
o Make battlers glow a given colour if they have a given status
o Allow trainer back sprites to be any number of frames in length?
o Some function code-related effects are elsewhere in the scripts, but could be put into that code's class (e.g. 0D Blizzard's accuracy check)
o If there is no throwing ball animation, make the "player throw out Pokémon at start" ball animation happen only after the player's sprite has left the screen?
o Add a variable to each species in encounters.txt which determines if/how likely that Pokémon will flee
o Show the animations of bits of grass/water droplets when entering a battle
o Add a constant sound effect for low HP
o Include a trainer comment that gets the enemy trainer to slide back in upon sending out their final Pokémon, to say something

In you saying this, I'm working on the flee'ing thing and a bunch of other things, as I said earlier, I'm looking into the .txt file editing, when I get something worth showing, I'll give you this.

Maruno's List said:
Saving and loading:
o Details of a savegame to show can include:
§ Player's name
§ Play time
§ Badges
§ Pokédex completion (seen/owned)
§ Icons of player's party – more information about them?
§ Location
§ Money
§ Time of save
§ Number of save

There is a lot of space as it stands at the moment... I think some more things should be added, all the above is fine, how about a picture of your character?

I covered quite a lot here, I don't mean to, but sometimes what I do turns into running commentry haha... I did see a lot that doesn't need doing... I didn't go over any of the bugs... Just things you are considerring to do or change... This is my input on the list itself and my contribution will come soon with some new scripts, edits and events that can cover some of these... Essentials will be a well worked team effort and in future hopefully be better than the official games, that's something we should aim for, although a high target, we can make this a great project.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
there are some points i disagree with you...
the rest i didnt have mentioned here i agree thought... :D

F5; This is in a good place in my opinion, I actually had button choosing in my game, but figured, I don't care how others want there buttons, with all the features I have in my game, remembering what buttons they have changed theirs to will confuse them, so it's probably a good thing to keep it "standard", don't change this, unless you give users the ability VIA the "Settings" script...
well i care about the buttons alot...
you know in europe the keys "Z" and "Y" are reversed...
so it would be nice if i (and other users with differend keyboard layouts) can choose the buttons... :)

about adding gen5 pokemon...
This is not important, it's what SOME people would like to see, not everyone... If they want Gen 5 Pokémon, add them in themself for the time being.
with essentials you are supposed to make pokemon games right?
so imo it should have as many features from official games as possible! ;)
after a few months pokemon BW2 is going to be released in japan and we still lack alot BW1 features and the most important thing is that we still dont have the new pokemon...
if this continues like this nintendo is going to relaese the 6th gen before we even realise that we are left far behind... xD
imo we should add a deadline when the 5th gen pokemon should be included and if everyone helps as much as (s)he can it should be possible...
the deadline could be for example 1 month after the international release of BW2...
just my opinion... :P

\v[42]?! You what?! Why would a variable be used in a maps name?
its usefull if you want to change the map names during the game...
or just make it say "players" house... ;)

about adding minigames...
I don't think you should add many games, most people with RMXP experience can make some games VIA events, others with scripting knowledge can use scripts, I have knowledge of both, more of the one less of the latter, and I have lot's of in-game, mini games, keep it as it is I say.
i would agree if you had sad that it is not important at the moment...
but minigames make the games varied and lots more fun to play...
and a game making tool (which essentials is) should have alot of different variants! ;)
and just because you can script doesnt mean that everyone can... (dont take it personally pls!)
some are good at scripting some at graphics and some can make amazing stories or make amazing maps...
always think about other users who cant script their own stuff (like minigames) themself...

about multiple savefiles...
I don't see the point... If you go ahead, deffinitly have continue to use last saved game, also, keep, how the screen looks, but, replace that big boring space underneath new game and options to "view" recent saved games, with the Pokémon icons to the right in, not so much a list, but a row styled list, an idea, but I wouldn't go too much into this as of now.
its usefull if more then one person is playing the game on the same pc!
official pokemon games dont have this feature because nintendo want to sell as much as possible and it is usefull if a person has siblings who each want their own version because they dont want to share one savegame (which is understandable)...
we are not as greedy as nintendo are we? :P

@maruno
one savegame for one adventure would be the best option...
and renaming savegames is nice too if you have more then one user play the game...

To Do List said:
Improve the trading animation
o Allow setting the ball type of the new Pokémon as well?
how about adding multiple trading?
so that you can trade 1 pokemon for 2 or more for example...
or trading entire parties...

Last edited:
Years
Maruno, I didn't see this on the list but you might want to add this - if you don't have Pokémon, the Pokécenter will still heal your 'Pokémon'. Seems like it should be a simple enough fix... I'll play around with it a bit.

Other than that, I love the list, looking forward to seeing these things implemented.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
I just read through the to do document, and I have one thing to say.
Don't remove the external editor!
dononononononononononot!
I can see how that could cause many problems.
1: It would be easier to remove editor.exe from your game's folder when uploading it then to remove it from the scripts section.
2: You could easily cause a ton of unintentional bugs.
I also think it is much quicker to run editor.exe
Seriously man, can't you see my point?

Just a little clarification, I'm not trying to be rood.
It is just very important to me that the editor be kept.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Tip: Some people comment thinking about "Which features in Essentials can better fit on my game", when the right is "Which features in Essentials can better fit in majority of games"

Your To Do is similar thats mine, but I prefer to list things by priority. When I have time I make a better comment about this list.

I know about SQL language if you need help.

I just read through the to do document, and I have one thing to say.
Don't remove the external editor!
dononononononononononot!
I can see how that could cause many problems.
1: It would be easier to remove editor.exe from your game's folder when uploading it then to remove it from the scripts section.
2: You could easily cause a ton of unintentional bugs.
I also think it is much quicker to run editor.exe
Seriously man, can't you see my point?

Just a little clarification, I'm not trying to be rood.
It is just very important to me that the editor be kept.
Editor is bad to make modifications. I thinks that the best thing is to allows to open the editor when hold Alt whilte opening the game or in the Continue/New Game/Option or something similar.

To change the F5 thing (Maruno probably already knows), only search and change the 'Input::F5' on scripts. You also need to change the F5 that is cited on many texts and pictures.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Tip: Some people comment thinking about "Which features in Essentials can better fit on my game", when the right is "Which features in Essentials can better fit in majority of games"

thats an important point and i agree with you!
saying that something dont need to be changed because you have to adapt YOUR game to the new version is selfish...
i gratefully accept all changes in essentials and i know maruno had a good reason to change something...
and if i look at the to do list i know essentials will become even better with each version released...

Maruno

Years
Quoting people is just going to make my post even bigger, so I won't. I'm skimming over everything, and will have missed out some comments.

Adding Gen 5 Pokémon: The only things to do here are to get sprites, icons and cries for them. Note that sprites should be a maximum of 160x160 in size, because otherwise they won't fit in the windows in the Pokédex and storage screen.

AI: You can (and must, actually) still have a base payout for each trainer, even if they don't give you any money. This base payout is what the AI would depend on, not whether money is gained at the end.

Trainer card: The "have a variable that it depends on" just applies to the card image itself (e.g. a red/blue/green/black/gold card). The positions of information on the card wouldn't change.

Item ball should disappear before the message: The problem is that the item ball shouldn't disappear if the player doesn't have space for it, but this check and the adding is all done in the one def. It's a bit trickier than it sounds.

New move target options: They aren't necessary as all moves currently target things properly (as far as I know). It'd just be a bit neater to have the ones suggested.

Controls: C/X/Z is convenient, but I suppose Space/Esc/Shift can be used if there are any problems with differing keyboard layouts (because they'll always be in the same places). I still think F5 needs to be closer to the rest of the controls, though; I mean, how devestating would it really be to accidentally use your bicycle at the wrong time?

\v[42] in map names: I thought it was a nice suggestion. I've already added \PN (player's name), as per the other half of that suggestion. It's only just about possible to add \v[42] without changing the structure of save files again.

Mini-games: They're wholly optional, and not a priority at the moment. They're nice to have, but we don't need to go overboard with them (we already have four).

Multiple saves: I think one per adventure would be the easiest way to go, as that would only require the Continue/New Game screen to be edited (in some way). They could be named after the player?

Poké Centre will heal your party if you don't have one: It's assumed the player will get a Pokémon before encountering their first Poké Centre, so I don't think anything needs to be done here. If your game does have that scenario, then it's a simple enough edit to the nurse's event.

Removing the External Editor: My thoughts were that it doesn't do much that you can't already do in the main game, so it's just unnecessary duplication. However, I'll probably leave it, although I still don't like it.

What do people think about the "remove the ROM save-reading feature" suggestion? I've never updated it, so anything it does is most likely inaccurate now anyway. Would anyone seriously use it? By that I mean, don't give the wishy-washy answer of: "I'm sure someone might use it."

I'm currently working on adding some more ability effects (I've added/fixed about 2 dozen already). I'll do some move and item effects after that.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
If I'm understanding it right, then it would be the ability to import teams from a ROM, right?

Somebody could use it to make a sort of continuation to a main game, but most people aren't doing that. Most people make their own story, region, etc, and most people will want their players to play through that story anew.

Given the specified nature of its use, it might be better to remove it, but leave a tutorial on how to reinstate in on the wiki in case someone would want to make that sort of game.

Adding Gen 5 Pokémon: The only things to do here are to get sprites, icons and cries for them.
The cries and icons are in P-Sign's update.

As for the sprites, I have all Pokemon, back front female shiny and forms in a handy little zip.
Only problem is, they're 96 by 96. Doubled, they'll be 192x192, and some sprites themselves, image size aside, are bigger than 80x80 undoubled.

...which leaves us at a dilemma.

EDIT: Ahaha... fixed my math, thanks FL~

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Could you add in the settings scripts, "a new button layout", so the developer would still choose the buttons, but change them at the same time... FL . So neatly pointed out that, all you have to change is anything with INPUT::F5, or whatever it was... Like if I were to change any F5's, in the settings script section:

KEYITEMBUTTON = PGDN
SELECTBUTTON = F
CANCELBUTTON = Y
PAUSEBUTTON = F10

This way, you can keep it how it is, and if people would like to change this, they can with ease... I'm not saying do this, just a little idea.

I also don't mind of any edits Maruno makes, I for one enjoy seeing what he comes up with, whether I use the new addition or not, after all, isn't he looking for our opinions, just bescause you don't like my opinion, doesn't make it any more wrong... I don't like however, when he makes changes like he did with the trainers.txt, it's frustrating going through over 800 trainers when it can be avoided... Although, the nice new change to this has led me to making my trainer battles a lot tougher and better thought through.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Quoting people is just going to make my post even bigger, so I won't. I'm skimming over everything, and will have missed out some comments.

Adding Gen 5 Pokémon: The only things to do here are to get sprites, icons and cries for them. Note that sprites should be a maximum of 160x160 in size, because otherwise they won't fit in the windows in the Pokédex and storage screen.
My Unova Pack have the icons, cries and 160x160 size and edited backsprite if you wish.

Only problem is, they're 96 by 96. Doubled, they'll be 192x192, and some sprites themselves, image size aside, are bigger than 80x80 undoubled.

Fixed

What do people think about the "remove the ROM save-reading feature" suggestion? I've never updated it, so anything it does is most likely inaccurate now anyway. Would anyone seriously use it? By that I mean, don't give the wishy-washy answer of: "I'm sure someone might use it."
Remove only the debug command and make some comment on script like: Outdated since September 2010 or even make that AmethystRain points.

Poccil is a genius scripter. He makes several very advanced scripts, but some like this have very rarely use. The PokemonBoxManager is a 5k lines scripts that can be used to communicated to several pokémon games and even with Shoddy Battle that uses Java (using the Serializable interface).

Isn't madness to assume that if poccil continues on making essentials, now we can have an application that can read data from different roms like trainers/pokémon data and even may convert a entirely Hack Rom to an Essentials game.

Some other system in this style are the PokemonOrgBattleGenerator (I guess that generate movesets, teams and pokémon for Battle Buildings), Wiiremote compatibility, Shadows on overworlds, the old time system (checks the players position in world), Chatter record, RPG Maker VX Compatility, Battle Frontier (mostly complete). I wish that you, at least, won't remove this last one.

Could you add in the settings scripts, "a new button layout", so the developer would still choose the buttons, but change them at the same time... FL . So neatly pointed out that, all you have to change is anything with INPUT::F5, or whatever it was... Like if I were to change any F5's, in the settings script section:

KEYITEMBUTTON = PGDN
SELECTBUTTON = F
CANCELBUTTON = Y
PAUSEBUTTON = F10
For some buttons like F5 you also need to change graphics and texts that mention 'F5'.

Side note: I know that you points a example, but to make something like this you need something like 'PAUSEBUTTON = Input::F10' rather that 'PAUSEBUTTON = F10'.

By the way, the player can press F1 and redefine some buttons.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
As for the sprites, I have all Pokemon, back front female shiny and forms in a handy little zip.
Only problem is, they're 96 by 96. Doubled, they'll be 188x188, and some sprites themselves, image size aside, are bigger than 80x80 undoubled.

a quick question...
isnt it possible to make the maximal sprite size 188x188 and allow us to view the full back sprites instead of just the top part?
that would make it possible to use all the 5th gen sprites...
well i dont know much about scripting but it should be possible right? :)

Maruno

Years
Could you add in the settings scripts, "a new button layout", so the developer would still choose the buttons, but change them at the same time...
The Settings script section is for things people would commonly want to edit. I'm not sure the controls would be one of them. Someone can write a tutorial for the wiki on how to change the controls, though - it's just editing PokemonControls, specifically the def self.buttonToKey (this site lists the numbers-to-keys). And yes, changing some graphics.

Poccil is a genius scripter. He makes several very advanced scripts, but some like this have very rarely use. The PokemonBoxManager is a 5k lines scripts that can be used to communicated to several pokémon games and even with Shoddy Battle that uses Java (using the Serializable interface).

Isn't madness to assume that if poccil continues on making essentials, now we can have an application that can read data from different roms like trainers/pokémon data and even may convert a entirely Hack Rom to an Essentials game.
Poccil is certainly a great scripter, but he lost interest and now you're stuck with me (and yourselves). I couldn't do anything as grand as he could, and my vision is somewhat different to his, but it's better than nothing. It's pointless dwelling on the past and wondering what could have been.

Some other system in this style are the PokemonOrgBattleGenerator (I guess that generate movesets, teams and pokémon for Battle Buildings), Wiiremote compatibility, Shadows on overworlds, the old time system (checks the players position in world), Chatter record, RPG Maker VX Compatility, Battle Frontier (mostly complete). I wish that you, at least, won't remove this last one.
You imply that I've removed all these features. Wiimote compatibility and the laggy time system, yes, but none of the others. Can you explain what you mean by "shadows on overworlds", because if it's what I think you're talking about, I wasn't aware such a feature was ever in Essentials?

a quick question...
isnt it possible to make the maximal sprite size 188x188 and allow us to view the full back sprites instead of just the top part?
that would make it possible to use all the 5th gen sprites...
well i dont know much about scripting but it should be possible right? :)
The back sprites still need to fit into a box in the Pokédex Forms page, which is 160x160 in size. The back sprites themselves look rubbish in battle, because they're the same scale as the front sprites yet are supposed to be closer to the player (that's why the battle base for your Pokémon is bigger than that for foe Pokémon). This discussion has been had before, so let's not start it up again.

Unless someone can design a storage screen/Pokédex list screen that can accept 192x192 sprites, we'll stick with 160x160.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
well im currently working on full back images for all gens (inc gen 5) that should fit in the 160x160 boxes and allow backs to still be bigger but its taking a while due to work and real life stuff but once its done i'll share with you guys

Maruno

Years
graphics, script or both?
Graphics. I think I've shown I can handle the scripting side.

In the case of the storage screen, it's physically impossible to have a 192-wide sprite next to the 324-wide box background and fit them both in a 512-wide screen (192+324=516). Even ignoring the extra 4 pixels (or trimming the box background a little), it'd look even more cramped than it already is. If you still want to have a crack at it, go ahead.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Graphics. I think I've shown I can handle the scripting side.

In the case of the storage screen, it's physically impossible to have a 192-wide sprite next to the 324-wide box background and fit them both in a 512-wide screen (192+324=516). Even ignoring the extra 4 pixels (or trimming the box background a little), it'd look even more cramped than it already is. If you still want to have a crack at it, go ahead.

well i think i will just rip the pokemon BW pokedex and BW box images... ;)
this way it will work 100% :P
i am sure i can finish the pokedex today so you can look at it! :D

EDIT
it looks like it will take some more time... >.<

Last edited:
Back