• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I hope it keeps grid based movement. I don't like the sound the circle pad makes. I know that sounds weird but I just don't. XD Especially when you're running back and forth. But idk, Pokemon works so well grid based. I can't imagine being able to run all over the place in any direction I wanna go.

I second this. At least wait till we move on to bigger better things (aka better quality 3D game-play, similar to the likes of Gale of Darkness and what not) to introduce free roaming movement system .-.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I'd like a break from the grid system we're all accustomed to but I doubt GF would break away from that.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
It works best grid-based, yes. But remember that The Legend of Zelda was entirely grid-based (ALTTP as well, and other later games in the series), but Ocarina of Time removed grid-based completely and made it a lifelike world. The fact it exists on the 3DS proves it is indeed possible to put such a lifelike game on a handheld. They could very well do it if they want to here, as well.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I like the way we can walk now :( Learning a new way would take a while to get used to, and even still when I'm playing my GBA I get confused as to what I'm doing because I'm used to the DS. It's different, but I mean it's still something. XD; I'd rather not have to change to using a new pad for that. :x

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I don't doubt that they CAN do it, but the grid system is also tied in to the grass, repel, and encounter system isn't it?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I don't doubt that they CAN do it, but the grid system is also tied in to the grass, repel, and encounter system isn't it?
I'd imagine it is. Kinda hard to change that. They could use a co-ordinate system but then the risk of a grassy area generating no battles - or the opposite, no grass and wild encounter - exists.

Cyclone

Sir Codin

I suppose it'll work just like Colosseum movement system did, just slightly more advanced.
I think it'll be like that as well.

It just feels weird to me that a completely 3D game would use a grid-lock system.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I... don't think it's likely that they'll skip over the big 360 degree circle control pad. ;-; I mean, if it's akin to 3D-axis, then... they'll have directional movement, I mean, why not?

Years
Here's my theory. Iwata, during the announcement, seemed to be making a big deal of worldwide such as worldwide release. Could this mean that you can go all around the world in X/Y and visit the other regions?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The possibility is in the air~ In a thread I made called Dimensions in Space, I've kiiiind of asked how maybe if these games were named after the 3D dimensions of well, the axis of the 3DS, perhaps dimensions, or... other familiar places could come to play there. Then again, with that, I've wondered about a theory about the region being set on another universe.. xD

Well, anyway, while the possibility is in the air, I'm not entiiiiirely sure about it, because perhaps GF would much rather put emphasis on this new region instead of the old ones? Well, even if that's the case, they could have little cameos or small islands that link to previous regions.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I think GameFreak is still pretty attached to the grid system to give it up, but do think it'll eventually happen one day to come.

Here's my theory. Iwata, during the announcement, seemed to be making a big deal of worldwide such as worldwide release. Could this mean that you can go all around the world in X/Y and visit the other regions?
Maybe, maybe not. It's never entirely out of the question. But it definitely wouldn't be all of the regions. There are some who think Unova will be connected to replicate Kanto and Johto, but I sort of have my doubts since Unova is said to take place in New York, while this new region seems to be based off of France.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Maybe, maybe not. It's never entirely out of the question. But it definitely wouldn't be all of the regions. There are some who think Unova will be connected to replicate Kanto and Johto, but I sort of have my doubts since Unova is said to take place in New York, while this new region seems to be based off of France.

Travel via air-travel to Mistralton City maybe? :3

Well, then again, it takes about... I dunno, 20 hours to go from NY to France? Then again, it is the pokeworld.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Travel via air-travel to Mistralton City maybe? :3

Well, then again, it takes about... I dunno, 20 hours to go from NY to France? Then again, it is the pokeworld.
This is true actually. Since the inclusion of newer transportation like airplanes, it wouldn't be necessary for regions to be attached if they wanted to include more than one. But with Unova having Black and White and a direct sequel, I'm not sure how much more they could really put into the region to make it worthwhile where they could instead use to develop this new region.

blue

gucci
Years
The only reason Johto and Kanto worked is because they boarderlined eachother so unless they introduce a new region that borderlines the region iGen VI then it could just be another stand alone region.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
God no I don't want those Isles. They were so extremely boring. Well, other than one of them but I'd rather if this generation didn't have them at alllll. :( Just seems kind of useless honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back