• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Level-Up Systems

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I was wondering what you guys think about a general level up system, whenever you play games such as MMOs, or any other game that has a level up system (besides pokemon).

First of all, do you like the concept of "leveling up"? Does it teach you things, beyond the aspects on how to actually play the game? Because, some people have been wondering that, as you level up, your knowledge and experience also kind of "levels up" with the game, as the character in question goes stronger. However, with my experience, some games with a level up system require me to grind so much just to meet with the game's standard expectations, and.. sometimes I'm just a little iffy about that.

And that brings me to my next point - do you feel that a level up system isn't quite necessary for games that come to mind? I've heard that sometimes, people don't like the level-up system in WoW, and hey, sometimes I don't really much care for the level up system in Leauge of Legends.

Well, just to re-literate the topic of this thread... What do you think of a level-up system? Do you feel that they are unnecessary for particular games that come to mind? Would you say that leveling up is worth it in most, or just in few cases? Any other thoughts?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I personally loathe how RPG level systems have squirmed their way into FPS and that's all I can really say. And its not just FPS', but action games too like Tomb Raider. They simply do not need to exist there.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I personally loathe how RPG level systems have squirmed their way into FPS and that's all I can really say. And its not just FPS', but action games too like Tomb Raider. They simply do not need to exist there.
It depends on the game for me. The inclusion of RPG elements in games like Megaman Zero, Far Cry 3, Prototype, Infamous, and the like have made the game far more fun than they would have been otherwise from my perspective. They give the games a more personal and customized feel, and they give you something to strive for and reward you in return, and I like that. It may not be necessary, but I think it adds to the games in question and many others, in my experience.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
It depends on the game for me. The inclusion of RPG elements in games like Megaman Zero, Far Cry 3, Prototype, Infamous, and the like have made the game far more fun than they would have been otherwise from my perspective. They give the games a more personal and customized feel, and they give you something to strive for and reward you in return, and I like that. It may not be necessary, but I think it adds to the games in question and many others, in my experience.
Those games are fun, even inFamous was pretty cool with it. Stuff like Call of Duty, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, splinter cell, and so forth shouldn't have em.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Those games are fun, even inFamous was pretty cool with it. Stuff like Call of Duty, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, splinter cell, and so forth shouldn't have em.
I'd agree with Call of Duty and Battlefield, but I think that it is very appropriate in the case of Tomb Raider. I feel that the way that added skills fits in well with the story of a girl who has been forced under foreign circumstances. She is adapting to the life she has to lead during her journey and, as such, she hones skills that were previously nonexistent. If the level system hadn't been added, I don't really see any of the things that the skills add being in the game, and I think it works well to make the player feel more like s/he is Lara, and as they gain experience, they learn how to cope with the environment and the circumstances they are given.

Even if they aren't necessary in some cases, they don't really do anything to hinder the experiences most of the time (though this isn't the case with Online FPS that use them, like Call of Duty and Battlefield, where they are a rather large part of the game), which is why I wouldn't go so far as to say they shouldn't be there. In many games if you don't like them you can ignore them entirely (ie Tomb Raider).

Back