• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I haven't read any manuals yet on the phone XD but it seems that I cannot have the phone turned off while charging.. I've tried turning it on while charging and it just turns on instead of showing a charging screen.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I haven't read any manuals yet on the phone XD but it seems that I cannot have the phone turned off while charging.. I've tried turning it on while charging and it just turns on instead of showing a charging screen.

It's a Windows Phone quirk. If it's not a HTC 8[letter], the only time a Windows Phone stays off while charging is when the battery charge is too low for a successful boot.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
If that were the case, I'd just put the phone in Airplane mode while it's charging. No off-mode charging is a bit of a dealbreaker for me though.

Actually, it's a bit of a firmware quirk. Good thing the HTC 8-somethings aren't affected by it... but they're pretty bad, though. Go Nokia or go home when it come to Windows Phones - you're much better served by Nokia phones (unless you must have it all, then the Samsung Ativ S might work).

I don't really find much use for off-mode charging, to be honest. Things charge pretty fast on my old-as-heck Lumia 900.

Years
I managed to get the phone all activated today and they used the SIM card that came with it and just transferred my number and the contacts onto the phone. Probably going to cut out a micro SIM-to-mini SIM card adapter in case I have to go back to my Razr should something happen to the 520.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Sometimes I really wish I could just go out and get a Nokia Lumia 520. The problem seems to be essentially trading significantly better performance and expandable storage for worse everything else.

I think I'm not ready to give up the 4.3" AMOLED display, the dual-LED flash, or the 8 MP shooter. Or the front-facing camera. Yet.

Years
Which phone do you have again? IIRC it was limited to Windows Phone 7..

Performance shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. Browsing in IE on my phone is very smooth and so is Skype.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's a Nokia Lumia 900 - the "old flagship", which at this point is... well, yeah. Technically speaking, the phone is only two generations old - I think it was competing with the likes of Samsung Galaxy S II and Apple iPhone 4S.

I think I have more problems with IE9 Mobile being usable but very ugly if the website wasn't made with Windows Phone 7 in mind (namely, no web font support) and/or when the mobile website likes to re-layout the entire page.

Even though the Trident engine, Chakra scripting engine, and Direct2D renderer are really fast, especially on a CPU-constrained environment, you can only do so much given limited resources.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Correction, it came out the same month as the SIII, so its actually a generation old.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'd say that the 920 fits the description more.
Not really. Maybe next march, but definitely not now. I'd say a mobile generation goes from March-March, much like a fiscal year. Anything from March 2012 to March 2013 is one generation, and as such March 2013 to March 2014 is another. So right now, for me at least, the S4, 5S, Lumia 1020 and so on are the flagships. I'd say the 920 is Nokia's 3G/4S/5S more then anything.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Not really. Maybe next march, but definitely not now. I'd say a mobile generation goes from March-March, much like a fiscal year. Anything from March 2012 to March 2013 is one generation, and as such March 2013 to March 2014 is another. So right now, for me at least, the S4, 5S, Lumia 1020 and so on are the flagships. I'd say the 920 is Nokia's 3G/4S/5S more then anything.

Things get weird if you try to fit devices that are "behind" within a strict date criteria. :)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Which is why I had trouble classifying things. Pre2010 it was easy defining a generation, just use MWC in February as the pre-launch month, with March the launch period for every year.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
My phone is definitely a last year's phone as it launched in November 2012 on my carrier and I got it in January 2013. It's still a solid phone and I like it a lot. It's a Galaxy Note II.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
One should treat the Nokia Lumia 900 as a bigger version of the Nokia Lumia 800 for the most part.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
That could be said about most phones actually. :p

Until you realise that the 900 can be treated as a 800 tweaked to cater more specifically for US tastes that just also works for everyone else. :)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Still, its all semantics. Different model numbers for minute updates and chassis differences is one of the wost new business models the phone industry has implemented.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Still, its all semantics. Different model numbers for minute updates and chassis differences is one of the wost new business models the phone industry has implemented.

Perhaps, but there's this thing called "carrier support" that everyone should take care of. :)

Years
Shame that the original Lumia 900 didn't last long if you ask me.. because both it and its successor, the 920 were announced last year and of course the latter coming with Windows Phone 8.

But like I've said, the reason I want with the 520 was so I could just try a new experience and see for myself how good (or bad) Windows Phone OS is, and just to get a smartphone as well :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back