• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
Although out of curiosity since you said Blaze Black is acceptable and all 600+ creatures can be caught in game do all of them count as "Regional Pokédex" for this challenge?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Although out of curiosity since you said Blaze Black is acceptable and all 600+ creatures can be caught in game do all of them count as "Regional Pokédex" for this challenge?
I suppose it would, but, this begs the question, in a game that offers every Pokemon, why would you need to hack or trade?

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
The only reason I ask is because if you only count what could actually be caught in Black or White with Poison types I could only conceivably have 3 pokemon so I wanted to know if I was allowed to supplement

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Update: I've gotten 4 badges in FireRed Omega, saved in Silph Co., and 2 Badges in Expert Emerald, saved in Mauville City.

FireRed Omega:
Spoiler:

Expert Emerald:
Spoiler:

Yes, I found a shiny Shroomish. :D

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
An update got my Bulbasaur starter and caught my Weedle and evolved it up to Beedrill already. Beat Blue both times so far and am training to take on Brock.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Sorry, it just seemed like an odd question, since the only place I ever mention regional dex is in relation to trading and hacking in mons. If you are able to catch a pokemon, then you may. So any pokemon available in the hack is fair game.

Today is the last day of the 1000 post event! At midnight American central time all hacking outside the standard rules will not be allowed. Anyone with a hacked pokemon already in their game is free to keep it in that game, but no new ones may be added. Here is my last one, as a means to use it to make the most empty monotype more playable.

Username: NecrumWarrior
Challenge: ultimate
Type: dragon
Games: fire red for now, rest later

What are you doing here? Trapinch...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2015
Quick Update:

- Went back to Granite Cave and Rock Smashed for a while to get a Nosepass (Streisand)
- Defeated Maxie at Mt. Chimney
- Defeated Flannery in Laveridge Town
-ShinyShiny evolved into a Lairon
- Defeated Norman in Petalburg City
And currently training pokemon against swimmers (difficult for rock types xD)

Team:
Lairon (ShinyShiny) Level 32
Slugma (Ember Fudd) Level 27
Golem (Gollum) Level 34
Nosepass (Streisand) Level 19
Solrock (Helios) Level 23
Marshtomp (HM SLAVE)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Spoiler:

Second Update on my Leaf Green
BugIC_zps0937eaa5.gif
monotype run.

Spoiler:

Badge Case

1KantoBoulderBadge_zps8d3d4df3.png
2KantoCascadebadge_zpsbd60dfdd.png
3KantoThunderBadge_zpsb658bbec.png
4KantoRainbowBadge_zps9ad275d5.png
6KantoMarshBadge_zps7f8797db.png

Current Team:

surskit_zps68891745.png

Ame
Level 35
Female//Modest//Swift Swim
78//29//40//55//50//68
Bubblebeam
Agility
Water Sport
Water Pulse

butterfree_zps4dfb5647.png

Kaze
Level 40
Female//Careful//Compundeyes @Twisted Spoon
104//46//61//73//83//69
Psychic
Psybeam
Safeguard
Attract

beedrill_zps215e718d.png

Hachi
Level 38
Female//Quirky//Swarm @ Black Glasses
106//81//39//52//70//76
Twineedle
Pursuit
Aerial Ace
Pin Missle

parasect_zpsc7dbac7e.png

Kinoko
Level 36
Female//Mild//Effect Spore
100//84//63//66//70//37
Giga Drain
Spore
Slash
Dig

pinsirfrllg_zpsf32312a9.png

Nigiri
Level 37
Female//Adamant//Hyper Cutter
96//116//81//46//59//80
Brick Break
Guillotine
Rock Slide
Focus Punch

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Hey guys! Still working on an update, but I have a bit of a predicament. I am playing on my Electric challenge, and my Chinchou that I hacked in just got to Lv. 27, so it started to evolve into Lanturn. But, mid-evolution, it stopped evolving and my dialogue said "...?". I swear I did not press B, so I am thinking it is beacuse it is hacked. Could someone please explain why this is happening?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Hey guys! Still working on an update, but I have a bit of a predicament. I am playing on my Electric challenge, and my Chinchou that I hacked in just got to Lv. 27, so it started to evolve into Lanturn. But, mid-evolution, it stopped evolving and my dialogue said "...?". I swear I did not press B, so I am thinking it is beacuse it is hacked. Could someone please explain why this is happening?

It's because you can't evolve Pokémon outside of Kanto Regional Dex in FR/LG unless you have the National Dex. I've gone through the same thing with my Surskit xD

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
So I'm going to try and get through Silver using every single type.
Might as well start with water. Let's see how many I can get through!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Kagami is correct about this. I did find a work around though. Some rom hacks have the evolution block completely removed. Notably, Pokemon Murky Red is one I found that works. All you have to do is load your save file while playing such a hack, level up to evolve, and then save again, reload with your regular rom, and you should be good. It's what I did to evolve my Shuppet.

Started my Dragon mono, beat Brock, too lazy to update the way I normally do...

Last edited:

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years

The same thing happened in my challenge with Seedot. As others mentioned, it's because you don't have the National Dex. So what I did was use a cheat to get the National Dex. But it's recommended you do this only after getting the Tea from the old woman in Celadon, or you can't get into Saffron without a cheat or something. You could also try what NecrumWarrior suggested too, since finding the National Dex cheat was kinda annoying, at least for me.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2017
It seems very interesting and a opportunity to me for play older Pokemon games better.

Username: Pedroizt
Type: Normal
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): R, G, E, P, W2.

I will start in Pokemon Gold.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Update: Flying monotype! (about time, I know.)
- Got scammed by Magikarp seller
- Captured a Zubat
- Did some major grinding in Mt. Moon and Nugget Bridge
- Ditched Zubat
- Magikarp evolved to Gyarados!
- Defeated Misty

Current team:
Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Just a little announcement. I'm going to be putting my rock monotype on hold for a little bit. While playing through my hack I noticed that I made some major errors editing some trainers so I'm going to have to start over editing them again, so I decided to hold off for now until I completely finish the hack. I can't really say when I'll have it finished cause every time I give myself a date to finish by I end up working on it less than I normally would... Well, thankfully my save file is still good, so no problems there.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Well I am feeling like the luckiest person in the world now. On the flying mono run, I found this:

7pJyWk2.png

A shiny Oddish with PKRS!

That's one of the rarest things in the world.

I used it and now all my pokemons have PKRS

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Kagami is correct about this. I did find a work around though. Some rom hacks have the evolution block completely removed. Notably, Pokemon Murky Red is one I found that works. All you have to do is load your save file while playing such a hack, level up to evolve, and then save again, reload with your regular rom, and you should be good. It's what I did to evolve my Shuppet.

Started my Dragon mono, beat Brock, too lazy to update the way I normally do...

Alright, I will do that, thanks!

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait. I have the LeafGreen ROM. Is there a Murky Red equivalent for Leaf Green that still takes away the evolution block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back