• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hiya people~
Just wondering something... What do people mean when they say one var can be used for an entire game? That doesn't make sense to me. How can only one var be used (for example, 0x4011) to track more than one event in a hack? If someone could please elaborate on this, it would be much appreciated :)

Your game would have to be perfectly linear. But, it would be like this:

Let's say we have 5 events.

When event 1 happens, we setvar 0x4011 0x1.

Now, before event 2 happens, we:

compare 0x4011 0x1
if 0x0 goto @event_1_has_not_happened
then we can run event 2 if event 1 has happened.

For event three, we can do close to the same thing:

ompare 0x4011 0x2
if 0x0 goto @event_2_has_not_happened

Do you see? A var can hold up to 0xFFFF which is ~65,000. So, if your game is very linear (no option side quests, no events completes out of order) then yes, you could use just one var.

This makes way more sense. Thanks a ton. I find it really interesting that Var 4000 is temporary. I don't think I would've figured that out by myself.

You would have noticed if you used it for anything else.XD

Also, this will be of great service to you while scripting: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

Last edited:

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Hello I have a problem that I can't seem to fix.

When I start xse, it says "runtime error 9, subscript out of range". I don't know what that means exactly or how to resolve it.

Also, for some reason, when I right click in the functional version of xse I have(its an earlier version), it doesn't display the menu that includes "compile" or "save" or whatever. So basicly I can't compile anything(almost forgot to mention that I can't get the "compile" button to work either.)

If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.
I have xse 1.0 and 1.11.

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

karatekid552

Years
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that right now. :)

The error happens because HackMew took down his website. So when XSE opens, it does an update check and queries that server, only to return an error, which it then returns to you and won't open. This is THE most asked question on this thread and has been answered, literally, hundreds of times.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Also I hate to ask this again. Is there a list of the overworld sprites that are shown in advance map, or would somebody know where I could find one? My eyesight is pretty bad so I can't go by any images it shows.

Any help with this at all would be appreciated alot. :)

The error happens because HackMew took down his website. So when XSE opens, it does an update check and queries that server, only to return an error, which it then returns to you and won't open. This is THE most asked question on this thread and has been answered, literally, hundreds of times.

Ah. Okay. I should have looked back for that, it does seem like something that would get alot of attention.
lol Sorry for adding to the number of times that question's been asked.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
Athenian, use pokemon game editor's attack editor.

You know that Pokemon Game editor's Attack editor can change animations, effects, descriptions, power, accuracy, whether it's Status, physical, or special. This whole thing would have been faster with it...

Sorry to make a third post about this, but I thought I should point out that I actually DID try using that tool. It ruined my ROM the first time, unexpectedly, and I lost a day of fairly trivial work. Good thing I backup semi-regularly. I want to warn anyone using that tool to back up their ROMs more than usual. I know it's good practice in general, but that tool has NO mercy, and won't warn you if you're about to screw something up.

After experimenting, I found that the tool ONLY screws up if I try to modify animations with it. It can modify anything else fine, but the format it uses for animations makes NO sense to me at all, even after sifting through several tutorials. It just has this long string of hex numbers that it claims are a pointer, but they look nothing like any pointer I've ever seen, and are WAY too long to be a pointer. Attempting to mess with them in any way screws up the ROM.

I should also note that move descriptions can't be directly edited in PGE. I tried. You have to edit them in a hex editor, either by overwriting the existing description, or by writing a new description in free space and repointing to it. That's all it can do.

I did find that PGE could be used to edit how the attack works, the effects of it, etc. My issue was simply that I had no way of editing animations. There was, in fact, a reason I went to all that trouble. I have no idea if there was some kind of documentation of those weird numbers it was giving me, and what their function was, but it was not readily available, and not clear what ANY of that was for. I'm smart enough to know that they were NOT pointers, whatever they were.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
You most likely have an old version of PGE, or the INI is screwed around. Trust me, if it was the newest one you wouldn't have this error anymore

karatekid552

Years
Sorry to make a third post about this, but I thought I should point out that I actually DID try using that tool. It ruined my ROM the first time, unexpectedly, and I lost a day of fairly trivial work. Good thing I backup semi-regularly. I want to warn anyone using that tool to back up their ROMs more than usual. I know it's good practice in general, but that tool has NO mercy, and won't warn you if you're about to screw something up.

After experimenting, I found that the tool ONLY screws up if I try to modify animations with it. It can modify anything else fine, but the format it uses for animations makes NO sense to me at all, even after sifting through several tutorials. It just has this long string of hex numbers that it claims are a pointer, but they look nothing like any pointer I've ever seen, and are WAY too long to be a pointer. Attempting to mess with them in any way screws up the ROM.

I should also note that move descriptions can't be directly edited in PGE. I tried. You have to edit them in a hex editor, either by overwriting the existing description, or by writing a new description in free space and repointing to it. That's all it can do.

I did find that PGE could be used to edit how the attack works, the effects of it, etc. My issue was simply that I had no way of editing animations. There was, in fact, a reason I went to all that trouble. I have no idea if there was some kind of documentation of those weird numbers it was giving me, and what their function was, but it was not readily available, and not clear what ANY of that was for. I'm smart enough to know that they were NOT pointers, whatever they were.
The reason PGE did work was because the offset for attack animations is bad in the ini. Once you repair that, it works. As gogojjtech said, the newest version fixed this, I believe.

Also I hate to ask this again. Is there a list of the overworld sprites that are shown in advance map, or would somebody know where I could find one? My eyesight is pretty bad so I can't go by any images it shows.

Any help with this at all would be appreciated alot. :)

This is something you just have to familiarize yourself with. I have done A LOT of work with OWs, so now when I need one, I already have an idea of where it is. Also, in the time it takes you to look through your list, if you had one, it would take you just as much time, if not more, to look through the OWs in A-map.

Last edited:
Years
Okay, I think I have one more question for today.

How do I make a sprite invisible by default, similar to how Professor Oak's sprite is invisible in Pallet Town until you trigger the script making him visible. The way I'm doing it right now is tacky and doesn't really work.

Thanks in advance.

karatekid552

Years
Okay, I think I have one more question for today.

How do I make a sprite invisible by default, similar to how Professor Oak's sprite is invisible in Pallet Town until you trigger the script making him visible. The way I'm doing it right now is tacky and doesn't really work.

Thanks in advance.

Set the flag in the person ID of that Event in a 03 map script in the players bedroom. Then clear the flag and use showsprite when you want it to appear.

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Probably ASM hacking. You will have to see how that is loaded.
What is the offset of the script you found?

The A-text offset for the for the "water is dark..." is 1A556E (in hex)

For the script of the entire thing, is 1A6AC8.

'---------------
#org 0x1A6AC8
special 0x187
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
checkattack 0x39
compare LASTRESULT 0x6
if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
bufferpartypokemon 0x0 LASTRESULT
setanimation 0x0 LASTRESULT
lockall
msgbox 0x81A556E MSG_YESNO '"The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\n..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0B
msgbox 0x81A55A5 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[buffer1] used SURF!"
doanimation 0x9
releaseall
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A6B0C
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A6B0B
releaseall
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x1A556E
= The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\nWould you like to SURF?

#org 0x1A55A5
= [buffer1] used SURF!

karatekid552

Years
The A-text offset for the for the "water is dark..." is 1A556E (in hex)

For the script of the entire thing, is 1A6AC8.

'---------------
#org 0x1A6AC8
special 0x187
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
checkattack 0x39
compare LASTRESULT 0x6
if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
bufferpartypokemon 0x0 LASTRESULT
setanimation 0x0 LASTRESULT
lockall
msgbox 0x81A556E MSG_YESNO '"The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\n..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0B
msgbox 0x81A55A5 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[buffer1] used SURF!"
doanimation 0x9
releaseall
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A6B0C
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A6B0B
releaseall
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x1A556E
= The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\nWould you like to SURF?

#org 0x1A55A5
= [buffer1] used SURF!

I think here, since no pokemon can surf naturally, the checkflag may be in the HM itself. Hmm, let me try some things.

Edit: there is an ASM routine just before the script that checks the flag. Let me find an easy way to negate it for you.

Okay, this will fix the overworld surfing, but you still won't be able to surf from the menu:

Go to 0x6D59C and paste-write "01 00 00 00" in a hex editor.
Then, jump up to 0x6D572 and paste-write "00 00 00 00".

That will enable surf on the overworld. A different routine checks from the menu that I haven't found.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Having some issues with advance map, when I goto edit a script tile and put in playsound 0x13B 0x0, after I compile the data and re-open the script, all of my playsound commands change to playsound 0x0 0x0 and will go silent during gameplay? Any reason they won't register when I compile the scripts?

EDIT:

I figured this one out. When compiling a playsound in PKSV and Advancemap, type the identifier twice: playsound 0x13B 0x13B and it will prevent it from turning into 0x0's and should make the soundfile play in game!

Also: Shout out to karatekid552 for being such a dedicated haxtutor!

Last edited:

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I think here, since no pokemon can surf naturally, the checkflag may be in the HM itself. Hmm, let me try some things.

Edit: there is an ASM routine just before the script that checks the flag. Let me find an easy way to negate it for you.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

karatekid552

Years
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

As you can see, I fixed the overworld. I also just found the check for ALL badges in the menu, so let me find a fix for that.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND, to remove badge checks from ALL HMs on the POKEMON MENU:

Go to 0x124620 and paste-write "01 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00". And that is all.:D

Last edited:

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
As you can see, I fixed the overworld. I also just found the check for ALL badges in the menu, so let me find a fix for that.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND, to remove badge checks from ALL HMs on the POKEMON MENU:

Go to 0x124620 and paste-write "01 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00". And that is all.:D

Thank you! Thank you!
You're a life saver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back