• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

GFA's Pixel Place

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Wow all this is awesome! The shape of the new OW's looks really good, but I think you should close the legs a bit and consequently make them a bit straighter.
Im glad you like them. Your advice is sound, and I've tried it before, but if they're any closer together, then they're connected, and that looks very bad. I appreciate your suggestion though. :)

Anyway, I present to you my first ever 100% scratch Pokemon sprite.
iaza15754319101600.gif

Spurtler
Indentured Pokemon
Type: Ghost
Ability: ???
Dex Entry: SPURTLER is the ghost of disobedient servants. Its expression is incapable of change.

Thoughts? I swear I'll get back to OWs sometime ...

EDIT: Wooo. 1800. Blah. I need to work on my AP Homework, not be slacking here. L:/

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Anyway, I present to you my first ever 100% scratch Pokemon sprite.
iaza15754319101600.gif

Spurtler
Indentured Pokemon
Type: Ghost
Ability: ???
Dex Entry: SPURTLER is the ghost of disobedient servants. Its expression is incapable of change.

Thoughts? I swear I'll get back to OWs sometime ...
Hahaha, that's a really good and refreshing design art and concept. I would recommend playing around with the lineart in the teeth a bit, but other than that it's cool-and funky, in some way lol SPURTLER

Generally speaking, nice work on the overworlds and everything. I'll keep an eye on your thread for updates.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Oh, ho-ho! That's quite a hefty compliment. :) ... And yeah, I think the teeth as well as the outline could use some work.

Anyway, Pikachu pixel-over. I sort of rushed it in the end, and I'm not quite pleased with the turn out.
iaza15754331143300.gif

Next time ... Actual OWs?

Years
Merged several old threads with the current thread. (You might wanna edit the first post)

Also have changed title as requested by owner.

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
I like Splurter alot and I know this is a reeeally small thing but I think the black for the lines for his (sharp) teeth are too dark, then it kind of draws your attention away from the otherwise perfect scratch sprite!

I think pikachus pose is very good, you must have picked a good original image ;) Well I think the shading of the tail could use some work, and maybe if you could make the arms abit less like knives :P

psst while I'm posting any tips you wanna quickly share about scratch spriting? I'm really super rubbish at it soo anything I should consider?

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, Spurtler's definitely going to be getting an update at some point in the future. And I agree about your comment on Pikachu's arms, though I personally think his tail is fine ...

As for advice, both Chesu and tnguye3 have good tutortials. I also found it nice when shading to use a Pokemon of similar size/color (in this case Wynaut). I would have used tnyguye3's technique, but I've been having some major hardware issues lately.

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Can't wait for Splurter's update :) I'm not sure if its possible but do you think you could post the original image you used for the pikachu?

Thanks for the links to the tutorials I'll definitely check them oot, and I'll keep the comparing idea in mind!

Firstly just wanna say hope your comp gets sorted out and all, the worst thing is for a skilled spriter not being able to sprite ;)

And can't wait for Splurter's update :) I'm not sure if its possible but do you think you could post the original image you used for the pikachu?

Thanks for the links to the tutorials I'll definitely check them oot, and I'll keep the comparing idea in mind!

Last edited:

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Firstly just wanna say hope your comp gets sorted out and all, the worst thing is for a skilled spriter not being able to sprite ;)
Thanks! (As of now, I have a new one, but I still need to set it up with basic programs.)

And can't wait for Splurter's update :) I'm not sure if its possible but do you think you could post the original image you used for the pikachu?
Oh yeah, sure. Link

Anyway, I said my next update would be an OW. I was right, but I'm sort of disapointed with my turn out. I had meant to turn out more, but I got stuck.

iaza15754339210300.gif

Pikachu, obviously. The reason I'm disapointed is that before the crash, I had a really good one. Like, one of my best sprites ever (even though it was sort of simplistic). This thing ... I just don't know. It's as tall as the Mew OW was (one less pixel then Ash), which isn't bad, but I don't know.

Tell me what you think guys. I'm sorry I don't have more, but the sooner I overcome my road block, the sooner I can get back on schedule.

Atomic Reactor

Pikachu is far to tall in my opinion. The head looks great, but the body is ... there's to much of it haha. It shouldn't be as tall as the people haha. Idk, just fix the length of the body and it'll look great :3

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Pikachu is far to tall in my opinion. The head looks great, but the body is ... there's to much of it haha. It shouldn't be as tall as the people haha. Idk, just fix the length of the body and it'll look great :3

You'd think that'd be obvious, but not for a spazz like me! Haha.

iaza14666070287900.gif

Fixed? For comparative purposes, it's 4 pixels shorter then Ash.

EDIT: And if you look below, 5 shorter then Brock.

Last edited:

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
No news is good news for once, since I'm guessing Pikachu's OK. And since I've overcome my crippling art block tied to Pikachu's bad job, I was able to take care of both Brock and Misty.

iaza15754397651500.gif

Now we're cooking.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
Misty's head looks kinda weird. Maybe you should re-touch the hair or something like that and the eyes are kinda big

Atomic Reactor

Pikachu is still to tall. It's suppose to be like... 1/3 the size of Ash.
Ash looks fine.
Misty looks to manly, have her arms go down her side instead of jut out like that. And the hair on her right (our left) is to crazy. Tone it down a bit, take out some black lines, and make that whole area less prominent. Brocks hair looks unnatural, the edges are to ... straight? there's no curve.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Pikachu is still to tall. It's suppose to be like... 1/3 the size of Ash.
Maybe so, but I'm sticking with what I've got. Tiny Pokemon with official overworlds are never quite proportional. (Though I suppose I could push it another pixel ... )
Ash looks fine.
Wee! :D
Misty looks to manly, have her arms go down her side instead of jut out like that. And the hair on her right (our left) is to crazy. Tone it down a bit, take out some black lines, and make that whole area less prominent.
Not sure I agree about the arm thing, but I'll give it a shot. Definitely going to redo the black, I thought it looked a little off, but now that I know someone else thinks so ...
Brocks hair looks unnatural, the edges are to ... straight? there's no curve.
As you know, I've always hated his hair. I'll see what I can do.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Recommended changes made.

iaza14666072845400.gif

Not sure how I feel about Misty's arms/Brock's hair.

Atomic Reactor

Here man, i took it upon myself to do some edits to show you what i meant.
sprites.png

I shortened pikachu, i took out some hair from misty, (i made it less prominent) and edited her pose so it was more lady like. Then i made brocks hair look a tad more natural. I used the darker brown to make it look like there was more curve, and edited the sides so they weren't to straight. Hope you don't mind i did this!

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
No, I don't. I actually like Brock, but I'm trying to make everyone's size uniform (as per their age) ... I'm keeping Misty the way I had her though. Her hair really is pretty poofy. I did have Brock previously looking like this:

brock2q.png

Which both makes my height mandate and is similar to your edit. It's sort of silly me to make everyone a uniform height though. I know Gary's not going to make it.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
*cough* So it's been over a year. It happens, y'know?

Most recent update to my ever fabulous...

KANTO ANIME PROJECT

iaza16898686508600.gif

Also!

ASH SHEET (KANTO)

b_w_ash_overworld_by_baconboy914-d3a001d.gif

Back