The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Anime
How can you improve Ash/Satoshi?

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old 1 Week Ago (12:06 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Quiji.
All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
    I'd give Ash Paul's personality traits, that's all he needs imo.
    So he needs to become an abusive, unfeeling jerk?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamflowerpower View Post
    oh arceus where should i start.
    well he needs to: catch a legendary, not be an idiot, and maybe i will like him more
    How would Ash catching a Legendary Pokemon improve him? It's not like they're even a big deal these days; Ash has defeated several of them, so their once hyped status as strong battlers is almost moot now.
    Old 1 Week Ago (3:42 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
      So he needs to become an abusive, unfeeling jerk?

How would Ash catching a Legendary Pokemon improve him? It's not like they're even a big deal these days; Ash has defeated several of them, so their once hyped status as strong battlers is almost moot now.
      1. Yeah, as much as I want Ash to really get improved upon, he really shouldn't adopt Paul's traits, that would just make him even worse. He could adopt Gary's traits of raising Pokémon, however. Yes, Gary's a bit hardheaded and a bit of a braggart, but at least he actually does care for his Pokémon without sacrificing his potential.

2. Eh, they're still pretty high battlers anyways, and besides, only Pikachu and Charizard have actually BEATEN Legendaries anyway, so it's not like he's made them look bad anyways. Now, if he managed to beat a Legendary with, say, his Caterpie, THEN I'll agree with you on how that's rendered moot.
      Old 1 Week Ago (3:01 AM).
      signatures are cool

Nature: Quiet
      he just needs to have more common sense when it comes to battling and i'll be good. he freaking used quick attack on tapu bulu

<check out pokécommunity's social media and like, follow, subscribe blah blah blah>:
      Twitter
      Instagram
      Facebook
      YouTube
      Old 1 Week Ago (8:31 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
        1. Yeah, as much as I want Ash to really get improved upon, he really shouldn't adopt Paul's traits, that would just make him even worse. He could adopt Gary's traits of raising Pokémon, however. Yes, Gary's a bit hardheaded and a bit of a braggart, but at least he actually does care for his Pokémon without sacrificing his potential.

2. Eh, they're still pretty high battlers anyways, and besides, only Pikachu and Charizard have actually BEATEN Legendaries anyway, so it's not like he's made them look bad anyways. Now, if he managed to beat a Legendary with, say, his Caterpie, THEN I'll agree with you on how that's rendered moot.
        Didn't Pikachu mutual-KO Latio/as in the Sinouh league, while Sceptile managed to take down Darkrai in that same match?

Ash's incompetence is what frustrates me the most in Pokémon (I guess this is kind of obvious). Now, animes can do with incompetent characters, for instance (these will all be Yu-Gi-Oh analogies since I watched this series the most), in yugioh Zexal, the main protagonist starts incompetent, with the same "screw optimal plays, I am going with my heart" kind of mentality that Ash has. In the beginning he was annoying, especially since by then we were used to almighty main protagonists and yugioh duel monsters, gx, and 5ds. So he starts kind of annoying, but in the second half of the show he gets better, actually becomes competent, still retains his mentality, and it became much more satisfying to watch him. So Ash being clueless and reckless in the first season was fine, as he was still learning. But then, every season he loses to some random trainer, forgets that electric types don't work on ground types, and so on. And I mean, I get this self imposed challenge of "lets start fresh every region", but doesn't it make sense to sometimes call older Pokémon? Like early in BW there was this time Trip made fun of Ash because he only had 5 Pokémon and one less badge than him. Couldn't have Ash just be like "hold my beer" and show him he actually has 40 badges, transfer Snorlax, and have him eat Trip's pathetic Pokémon?

My point is, that Ash already MADE the journey from nubcake to competent. Making him go over it time and time again is ridiculous. The way I see it, the only way to save the Pokémon anime is: either make Ash suddenly magically competent and get him to be good and win, or just forget about him, finish whatever you having going on, make him die in a plane crash or something, and make a new protagonist. Maybe try a competent protagonist for once. Most of the people who play the games try to play semi-optimally. Obviously, not everyone is meta-master, but a lot of people do try to variate types and type advantages and stuff like that. So watching a protagonist who does that consciously and deliberately would be appealing.

So yeah, I kind of believe he is hopeless at this point.

Pokémon In The Information Era
        Old 1 Week Ago (8:47 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by LordAbizi View Post
          Didn't Pikachu mutual-KO Latio/as in the Sinouh league, while Sceptile managed to take down Darkrai in that same match?

Ash's incompetence is what frustrates me the most in Pokémon (I guess this is kind of obvious). Now, animes can do with incompetent characters, for instance (these will all be Yu-Gi-Oh analogies since I watched this series the most), in yugioh Zexal, the main protagonist starts incompetent, with the same "screw optimal plays, I am going with my heart" kind of mentality that Ash has. In the beginning he was annoying, especially since by then we were used to almighty main protagonists and yugioh duel monsters, gx, and 5ds. So he starts kind of annoying, but in the second half of the show he gets better, actually becomes competent, still retains his mentality, and it became much more satisfying to watch him. So Ash being clueless and reckless in the first season was fine, as he was still learning. But then, every season he loses to some random trainer, forgets that electric types don't work on ground types, and so on. And I mean, I get this self imposed challenge of "lets start fresh every region", but doesn't it make sense to sometimes call older Pokémon? Like early in BW there was this time Trip made fun of Ash because he only had 5 Pokémon and one less badge than him. Couldn't have Ash just be like "hold my beer" and show him he actually has 40 badges, transfer Snorlax, and have him eat Trip's pathetic Pokémon?

My point is, that Ash already MADE the journey from nubcake to competent. Making him go over it time and time again is ridiculous. The way I see it, the only way to save the Pokémon anime is: either make Ash suddenly magically competent and get him to be good and win, or just forget about him, finish whatever you having going on, make him die in a plane crash or something, and make a new protagonist. Maybe try a competent protagonist for once. Most of the people who play the games try to play semi-optimally. Obviously, not everyone is meta-master, but a lot of people do try to variate types and type advantages and stuff like that. So watching a protagonist who does that consciously and deliberately would be appealing.

So yeah, I kind of believe he is hopeless at this point.
          I thought the Pokémon Ash used that acted as his reserves were his Johto Pokémon, not his Hoenn Pokémon? And for the record, Pikachu mutual-KOed Latios, that much is correct, though he also single-handedly took out Regice as well.

But other than that, I agree fully. I'm not liking how they're really screwing Ash's pooch regarding development, outright wasting it. The closest he's ever gotten to any actual development was in Johto. After that, they barely have him managing to advance in rank from before, many times hits a reset, one or two times tying from before if not decreasing in rank. I mean, for goodness sakes, Goku from Dragon Ball got more development, not to mention actually DOES come across as competent even if somewhat goofy. He's Ash done right.
          Old 1 Week Ago (9:17 AM).

I believe that in Sinou league he used most of his pokemon, regardless of region. Checked Bulbapedia, Ash used Heracross, Gible and Torkoal against Darkrai before Sceptile managed to take it down.

Pokémon In The Information Era
            Old 1 Week Ago (1:44 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Entei Fan.
            Canine pokemon fan

Nature: Gentle
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
              I'd give Ash Paul's personality traits, that's all he needs imo.
              So he needs to be a jerk?

Original nick - BH
              Name - Bartek
              Old 1 Week Ago (4:03 PM).
              4 million years

Nature: Hasty
                Maybe don't reset him at the end of every season? Have him actually catch all the pokemon instead of doing a super lackluster job?

Personally, I'd just get rid of him entirely...

When they do stuff like what they did with greninja, saying how it developed such a strong bond for ash it transformed, etc., and then just forget about him next season, it really just kills off any emotions I had towards it.
                Old 1 Week Ago (5:07 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Quiji.
                All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Catnip~ View Post
                  Have him actually catch all the pokemon instead of doing a super lackluster job?
                  Why? He has like 40 different species of Pokemon in storage already at Oak's place that he doesn't do anything with except during certain Leagues (the last time being in DP 8 freaking years ago), and even then not all of them get to battle. So how would him catching every single Pokemon be beneficial when all it would lead to is him having 800+ neglected Pokemon that we would only see approximately once every half decade at best?
                  Old 1 Week Ago (5:27 PM).
                  4 million years

Quote:
                    Why? He has like 40 different species of Pokemon in storage already at Oak's place that he doesn't do anything with except during certain Leagues (the last time being in DP 8 freaking years ago), and even then not all of them get to battle. So how would him catching every single Pokemon be beneficial when all it would lead to is him having 800+ neglected Pokemon that we would only see approximately once every half decade at best?
                    Well catching all the pokemon is kinda one of the major points of the series, but out of all of them he only has a few, like you said. He certainly isn't going to be beating any leagues any time soon, so they might as well give him some actual goal instead of just do the same thing 20 different times in 20 different regions...
                    Old 1 Week Ago (12:47 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Quiji.
                    All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Desert Stream~ View Post
                      Well catching all the pokemon is kinda one of the major points of the series
                      The emphasis on catching every Pokemon was mainly a dub concept though, and mainly emphasized in the early years of the show. The whole "gotta catch 'em all" motto didn't exist in the Japanese version (they just had a vague "get Pokemon" tagline instead iirc). It's been kind of clear for over 15 years that Ash and even other notable characters can't actually catch every Pokemon since there are just so many of them, hence why we don't see Ash even attempting to do that these days.
                      Old 1 Week Ago (1:01 PM).
                      Hoenn confirmed

Nature: Careful
                        Quote:
                        Maybe don't reset him at the end of every season? Have him actually catch all the pokemon instead of doing a super lackluster job?

Personally, I'd just get rid of him entirely...

When they do stuff like what they did with greninja, saying how it developed such a strong bond for ash it transformed, etc., and then just forget about him next season, it really just kills off any emotions I had towards it.
                        Ash does need to quit releasing his Pokemon. In Greninja's case, it just makes their bond seem like a gimmick that only existed to give Ash a Kalos powerhouse and nothing more.
                        Old 1 Week Ago (1:17 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by strangerhypno.

He doesn't need to catch a legendary, he already has strong pokemon capable of beating them already. In fact the faults of his character are not primarily his battle skills, which he is actually good at, but his flat character which is a fault of the anime being a marketing show for kids.

Even shonen MC's like Luffy or Naruto have more depth to them and their simplistic natures are better written in comparison to Ash. And their ideal goals of becoming the greatest aka Pirate King and Hokage are better defined and actually have meaning i.e. freedom or acknowledgment. While being a pokemon master is some vague out of reach goal just there to pretend Ash's journey means something other than advertising the franchise.

For these issues to be resolved, the anime doesn't need to make Ash a uber trainer or rated PG 13 +. They just need to actually write Ash as a character looking for ways to achive his goal and they need to give that goal some meaning as well.

And tone down filler, unless its entertaining like OG Kanto. Some stronger continuity wouldn't hurt either and would make Ash less like a kid with an early onset of Alzheimer's and feel more like a trainer with experience and that his journey is worth something.
                          Old 1 Week Ago (1:30 PM).
                          Canine pokemon fan

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Taste of Tea View Post
                            Ash does need to quit releasing his Pokemon
                            Agreed, releasing pokemon is stupid, and after seeing pokemon generation 3 animations, i doubt released pokemon go "in the wild", they cease to exist

I only do this in 10%, when i got bored by my pokemon i trade them away for newer pokemon

Original nick - BH
                            Name - Bartek
                            Old 1 Week Ago (6:10 PM).
                            4 million years

Quote:
                              The emphasis on catching every Pokemon was mainly a dub concept though, and mainly emphasized in the early years of the show. The whole "gotta catch 'em all" motto didn't exist in the Japanese version (they just had a vague "get Pokemon" tagline instead iirc). It's been kind of clear for over 15 years that Ash and even other notable characters can't actually catch every Pokemon since there are just so many of them, hence why we don't see Ash even attempting to do that these days.
                              Oak still asked him to fill up the pokedex though, so it is a goal in the show

Quote:
                              Ash does need to quit releasing his Pokemon. In Greninja's case, it just makes their bond seem like a gimmick that only existed to give Ash a Kalos powerhouse and nothing more.
                              EXACTLY!
                              Old 1 Week Ago (7:43 AM).
                              Canine pokemon fan

Location: Hamsternidia , somewhere in the universe
                                Quote:
                                Yeah, even Red menaged to do that in Pokemon the origin

Original nick - BH
                                Name - Bartek
                                Old 1 Week Ago (1:53 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Quiji.
                                All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
                                  When exactly did Oak ask him to "fill up the Pokedex"? Because it's been 21 years since Ash got his first Pokedex, and the fact that he only caught around 80 Pokemon overall out of 800 kind of proves that filling the Pokedex isn't Ash's goal anymore. :/
                                  Old 1 Week Ago (2:04 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Taste of Tea.
                                  Hoenn confirmed

Nature: Careful
                                    Ash catching every Pokemon was never his proper long term goal; it was just assumed that he would catch them all back in Kanto because of the franchise's catchphrase, but that misconception only lasted a few dozen episodes and then it became obvious that Ash wasn't really gonna 'catch em all' since he was only catching the bare minimum of Pokemon back then.

Ash's main goal has always been to become a 'Pokemon Master' which is something that hasn't even been explained well yet.
                                    Old 1 Week Ago (7:07 PM).
                                    4 million years

Quote:
                                      When exactly did Oak ask him to "fill up the Pokedex"? Because it's been 21 years since Ash got his first Pokedex, and the fact that he only caught around 80 Pokemon overall out of 800 kind of proves that filling the Pokedex isn't Ash's goal anymore. :/
                                      It clearly isn't his goal anymore, but this thread is about how you would improve him. Actually giving him a goal would do a lot of good.
                                      Old 1 Week Ago (8:15 AM).
                                      Canine pokemon fan

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                                        I doubt that, Gary/Shigeru is bassicly Green/Blue and we ALL know how he acts

Sure he helps pokemon in generation 4 but he's bassicly android saga Vegeta, a selfish prick

Even Silver learned that hurting pokemon is wrong despite being Sasaki's son

Original nick - BH
                                        Name - Bartek
                                        Old 1 Week Ago (8:30 AM).

Nature: Calm
                                          I'd make it so he doesn't make rookie-level mistakes. He went from being a powerful trainer in Sinnoh to making noobish mistakes in Best Wishes.

His brilliant strategy for beating Elesa was bringing Palpatoid. Just Palpitoad. Nobody else. That's it. He didn't have a backup plan in case, y'know, that plan failed. There's no excuse.
                                          Old 1 Week Ago (1:31 PM).
                                          All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
                                            Ash's main goal has always been to become a 'Pokemon Master' which is something that hasn't even been explained well yet.
                                            This needs clarifying in the show, because he's thrown the term around too often while never really explaining the qualifications.
                                            Old 5 Days Ago (1:39 AM).
                                            Pokémon Master

Nature: Quiet
                                              I think the fact that Ash is forever a child is irritating because you never see Ash really develop anymore. You see him grow and mature until around the Advanced series, then he just kind of stays the same.

It also doesn't help that Pikachu's level seemingly resets with every generation and Ash has trouble battling rookie trainers. There needs to be continuity. Would the Ash from the Johto league/Orange league really lose so easily to someone like Paul when he just started out?
                                              Old 5 Days Ago (4:21 AM).

Dunno, maybe let him mature?
                                                Old 4 Days Ago (10:08 AM).
                                                Canine pokemon fan

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by X4vv View Post
                                                  Dunno, maybe let him mature?
                                                  I think he already is, as XY alt Ash acts like original anime Ash

Original nick - BH
                                                  Name - Bartek

Quick Reply