• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen TMs and HMs

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
Years
On the subject of HMs, I believe they should be scrapped entirely and replaced with either HM Items or Type Moves (moves that only a certain type can use; e.g. Flying-types only use Fly)

Ideas for HM Items:
Flash-Flashlight, Miner's Helmet
Rock Smash-Sledgehammer
Surf-Surfboard

Years
How about giving Cut a high critical hit ratio imo. It makes sense and makes it less useless without making it kinda OP early in the game... Or Wynaut make it always deal a critical hit (much like Storm Throw and Frost Breath) but reduce its base power to 40 or 30? ~~

Anyway, I'd like to see more critical hit-related moves and abilities, moves like Frost Breath and Storm Throw are cool against stallers... if only they deal a higher damage...

What do you think of a move that inflicts two status alitments (and such) at once? Haha, something like bad poison + confusion, paralyze + disable/mean look effect, sleep + attract... May be a bad idea tough...

I am getting off-topic too I guess... -__-'

On the subject of HMs, I believe they should be scrapped entirely and replaced with either HM Items or Type Moves (moves that only a certain type can use; e.g. Flying-types only use Fly)

Ideas for HM Items:
Flash-Flashlight, Miner's Helmet
Rock Smash-Sledgehammer
Surf-Surfboard
No, no, no! Although it will be more practical, it doesn't fit well with the "Pokémon theme", y'know, in Pokémon's world we're supposed to live in symbiose with Pokémon and such crap ...etc so, we should rely on them for such things...
I personally think they should just delete the move deleter... delete... deleter... you get the pun? No, seriously, I personally hope they should get rid of the move delete and keep the HMs infinitely reusable but removable at will.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Why not a 5th slot that can''t be used in battle, and is only for an HM move? That or, like others have said, remove the need for a move deleter.

I don't really want a fifth slot. It would just... overcomplicate things I guess? I mean even logically it'd make no sense that you could only use it for a HM, and no OTHER purpose when Surf and Waterfall are legit useful.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Adding in an HM slot I guess could have it's uses. If you wanted to put an HM in the regular moveset you still could (for things like Surf and Waterfall), and then if you wanted to use others you could throw them into the slot, but they'd be unavailable in battle. That way nothing actually has 5 usable moves, but still don't clog up the movesets with awful HMs.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
All I want them to do is (if they continue the HM tradition) let HMs be deletable! I hate having HM slaves.

I wish they'd replace the need for overworld HMs with some type of Key Item that only eligible Pokemon in your party can use.. Like a "Rock Smash Stone" that Geodude can use.
Just an idea, albeit a bad one :P but they could think of something better.

Adding in an HM slot I guess could have it's uses. If you wanted to put an HM in the regular moveset you still could (for things like Surf and Waterfall), and then if you wanted to use others you could throw them into the slot, but they'd be unavailable in battle. That way nothing actually has 5 usable moves, but still don't clog up the movesets with awful HMs.

Like how Ni No Kuni let's you learn a lot of moves, but have 4 set for battle. Or they could make the HMs into TMs and give you another way to navigate the world.

Years
Cut would be somewhat useful at 60-65 power and 100 accuracy, at least it'd be better than Tackle...

I think there definitely needs to be a way to teach all TM moves more than once. I like the reusable TMs but if they did get rid of that, I think you should be able to buy more of ANY TM, not just ones already only in the Pokemarts or Department Store. All of them should be available in infinite quantity... For a high or low price, whatever, but it's just unfair that some are only one-copy, one-use. That's why in Gen 1 to Gen 4 I never used TMs you can't buy or otherwise infinitely obtain. Ever.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Cut would be somewhat useful at 60-65 power and 100 accuracy, at least it'd be better than Tackle...

I think there definitely needs to be a way to teach all TM moves more than once. I like the reusable TMs but if they did get rid of that, I think you should be able to buy more of ANY TM, not just ones already only in the Pokemarts or Department Store. All of them should be available in infinite quantity... For a high or low price, whatever, but it's just unfair that some are only one-copy, one-use. That's why in Gen 1 to Gen 4 I never used TMs you can't buy or otherwise infinitely obtain. Ever.

I really don't think they'll remove the removable TMs thing because if it's removed you can easily import from the past games and gets LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of money really easily by selling them and I'm not sure GF is that nice...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't think adding an extra slot for an entire Pokémon is plausible, but maybe adding an extra move that isn't usable in battle would be more plausible, but still less than likely to happen.

Years
I'd want more TM's, but I want quality ones, not stupid triple battle gimmicks and support moves that are almost entirely pointless. What a waste of precious space.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'd want more TM's, but I want quality ones, not stupid triple battle gimmicks and support moves that are almost entirely pointless. What a waste of precious space.

Yes. Moves like Round and Quash that got introduced this generation that NO ONE uses, whether it's in-game or competitively. It's just a waste of a TM slot when almost anything could be more useful than those.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, at least, NPCs do use them, haha! :D

So they're just TMs to please NPCs ;_; Though yeah, if they were removed that'd be great, especially if it freed up space for other stuff like Stealth Rock!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly, if we're keeping TMs for the NPCs to use then that's completely defeating the purpose of what the TMs are.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 13, 2020
The only thing I'm really hoping is that Game Freak keeps the TM system introduced in BW, with having them be multi-use (with the penalty of not giving you the maximum PP so you don't just spam them for free moves).

Not just that, but I hope the relevance of HMs in Gen V returns, too. I don't recall *any* of them being forced to be used to progess besides Cut outside that warehouse (or maybe Surf, but Surf's an actually useful move). As long as one of their purposes isn't to make broken bridges to slow you down, I don't care.

...or just have quality HMs, and not do a questionable replacement like Defog did with Flash in DPP.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
On the topic of HMs, I don't think we'll be seeing them removed without the aid of a Move Deleter any time soon. The reason they can't be removed is so you can't get stuck somewhere in the game. For instance, if you could remove Surf while surfing, the game could possibly bug out.

Continuing the idea from the last page about making the strongest TM moves only available through a move tutor and nerfing some of the existing TMs to balance things out, I came up with this sample list of TMs based on every move we have now. I have no Normal or Flying attacks for the move tutor because there isn't really a best TM attack for either type. Also, I added two new HMs and changed the effects of two old HMs. Some of the TMs might not be great (Seismic Toss, Pluck, etc.), but I think they each serve some interesting purpose or can even teach Pokemon attacks they once knew/didn't know before.

Code:
[U]TM[/U]
1	Hone Claws
2	Bulk Up
3	Double Team
4	Calm Mind
5	Roar
6	Toxic
7	Thunder Wave
8	Will-O-Wisp
9	Attract
10	Hidden Power
11	Nature Power
12	Taunt
13	Ice Punch
14	Blizzard
15	Hyper Beam
16	Giga Impact
17	Protect
18	Seismic Toss
19	Skill Swap
20	BubbleBeam   new effect: can target anyone in a triple battle
21	Giga Drain
22	SolarBeam
23	Magical Leaf
24	ThunderPunch
25	Thunder
26	Shock Wave
27	Hurricane
28	Dig
29	Psybeam
30	Crush Claw
31	Sunny Day
32	Rain Dance
33	Sandstorm
34	Hail
35	Fire Punch
36	Fire Blast
37	Body Slam
38	Mud Shot
39	Rock Tomb
40	Aerial Ace
41	Torment
42	Facade
43	Sleep Talk
44	Rest
45	Return
46	Frustration
47	Low Sweep
48	Thief
49	Leaf Storm
50	Overheat
51	Roost
52	Focus Blast
53	Brick Break
54	False Swipe
55	Water Pulse
56	Headbutt
57	Charge Beam
58	Signal Beam
59	Dragon Claw
60	Drain Punch
61	Mega Punch
62	Acrobatics
63	Aerial Ace
64	Explosion
65	Shadow Claw
66	Super Fang
67	Counter
68	Quick Attack
69	Rock Polish
70	Flash
71	Stealth Rock
72	Reflect
73	Light Screen
74	Steel Wing
75	Swords Dance
76	Drill Run
77	Psych Up
78	Iron Defense
79	Avalanche
80	Rock Slide
81	Twineedle
82	Dragonbreath
83	Work Up
84	Poison Jab
85	Pluck
86	Grass Knot
87	Swagger
88	Volt Switch
89	U-turn
90	Substitute
91	Iron Tail
92	Flame Charge
93	Wild Charge
94	Rock Smash
95	Snarl
96	Dual Chop
97	Tri Attack
98	Night Slash
99	Trick Room

[U]HM[/U]
1	Cut	40 power, constant critical hit rate
2	Fly	
3	Surf	
4	Strength	chance of raising Attack
5	Waterfall	
6	Lava Drift	80 power, like a Fire-type Surf, cross lava
7	Sparkle  	70 power, chance of lowering accuracy, powers lights and machinery

[U]Move Tutor[/U]
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball
Psychic
Dark Pulse
Superpower
Shadow Ball
Dragon Pulse
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Flash Cannon
X-Scissor
Scald
Sludge Bomb
Seem like a practical list?

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
Turn Rock Smash a TM. Its the worst move ever besides growl and leer. And I Would rater use those than rock smash! And that's saying a lot.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Like I said, there's no need to weaken the TM selection. 5th gen was already worse than 4th gen, with a lot of situational and useless moves. But the strong moves were still there, and there are some TMs which you even need BP to get (like Protect IIRC).

I still believe the way 5th gen did things is more balanced than before. The strong TMs are only available in the post-game and a few high-powered TMs like Fire Blast are very expensive in the shops, which means you may not have the money to spare to get them during the story. I got Thunder for my Galvantula before the 7th gym but that left me at almost zero money... Before (as in from 3rd gen onwards), you could buy a disposable Fire Blast TM for just $5,500 and wreak havoc with a 120 BP, 85% accuracy move midway through the game, or even near the beginning (as in HGSS). I played through Black and now Black 2 recently and I can tell you there are a lot of things more gamebreaking than early powerful TMs.

Trust me, you don't want to live with sucky TMs. This is coming from someone who played GSC a lot, and those games had the worst TM selection of all the main series games. It was so bad that move tutors were invented in Crystal to bring back the better moves from RBY...

So they're just TMs to please NPCs ;_; Though yeah, if they were removed that'd be great, especially if it freed up space for other stuff like Stealth Rock!

Why do you like Stealth Rock so much >.>

Back