• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 18, 2017
Where the heck am I supposed to ask questions about rom hacking since the simple questions thread was closed? I don't think my question needs a whole new thread to answer it.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Where the heck am I supposed to ask questions about rom hacking since the simple questions thread was closed? I don't think my question needs a whole new thread to answer it.
Simple Questions can be asked as their own threads in the Beginner's Lounge subforum. Alternatively, you can use the search function in that subforum or in the old Simple Questions thread(s).

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Do you guys like it when hacks have unique starters, like starters that aren't actually starters, or do you prefer when they use actual starters? I prefer the first option, I get really bored of using the same Pokemon.

I prefer 'new' starters, rather than your typical starters from Gens 1-6. I don't mind combining Gen starters (say, Torchic, Bulbasaur, Piplup) but I haaaate it when hacks give you a choice of an obscene amount of these pokemon.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
I prefer 'new' starters, rather than your typical starters from Gens 1-6. I don't mind combining Gen starters (say, Torchic, Bulbasaur, Piplup) but I haaaate it when hacks give you a choice of an obscene amount of these pokemon.

What about hacks that only give you 1 starter?Would that be okay to have in a hack or no?

BabyDino213

Baby Dragon Awaiting To Evolve Into Thousand Drago
Years
I see soo as in the starter making a huge impact on the story right?

if you had to choose the one starter that would make the biggest impact on the game who would you choose *sorry if its already been discussed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Thing is, I think being given a Caterpie could be just a good a hack as given a... Mew. A long as it was balanced and there was a reason behind it rather than 'legendaries are cool!' or 'it'll make it harder!' then I'm all good.

Starters should have relevance to the story, if there is only one option.

(Have I misunderstood the question? idk)

Someone please make Caterpie as a starter, 10/10 will play.

BabyDino213

Years
No you got what it was meant to say sorry my English isn't great but if I'd had to choose it would be Magikarp proving the entire Pokémon world that it isn't as useless as everyone thinks

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
No you got what it was meant to say sorry my English isn't great but if I'd had to choose it would be Magikarp proving the entire Pokémon world that it isn't as useless as everyone thinks

That could be a pretty funny concept! A young (possibly a bit crazy) trainer sets out to prove that his Magikarp isn't a useless lump of fish! XD Would involve some sneaky stat/move edits to actually make it playable but I see potential.

BabyDino213

Years
would start out like it did in the show was late and everyone has gotten their starter your best friend got the last "Good Starter" so he asks the professor if there's any way to get one but alas he wouldn't be able to get one till a month later with him being so eager to get his adventure started begs the professor for a pokemon he remembers he won a Magikarp from a carnival game and just to get him out of his lab he embarks his journey with the Magikarp doubting that he'll ever become great with it (idk if I'm able to post things like that on here I'm still new here sorry if I cant)

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
I will make a hack just like that. One boy, one trainer, just him and his Magikarp that can't evolve. His rival who has a Feebas. Together they will beat Team (Blank) and save the world from Darkrai.

RLT

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2017
Hi all, I wonder if anyone here could help me with my ROM Hacking.

RLT

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2017
I need help with many things, so I did not specify, but things are:

• Add overworlds with new pallets;
  • Add shynie pokemon (similar to the red gyarados);
And other things that I can not remember now, but for now these are the most important. I found this forum a tutorial explaining how to add new overworlds, but I understood from step 4.

Thanks for your attention and links.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
What you said about OverWorlds, if you're hacking Fire Red you can use JPAN's hacked engine, or pal 2, might just be my edited rom, but that one was not used in any Overworlds. And as for what you said about shiny pokemon if you mean sprites, then they're already in the rom, but if you mean something like make a wild pokemon shiny then do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCg8pJ12hk

Now I have a question for you guys. What do you think about occasional curse words in a hack?

Back