• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Riolu

How's the comic?

• Awesome!

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Good.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Bad. :(

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Here's Issue 14 finally!
Spoiler:

Sorry I haven't been active lately. I am totally addicted to Pokemon X! It's so awesome!

I also wanna ask if someone can do a project
of doing Pokemon X and Y overworld sprites so I can get Mega evolution in my comic later on.

I'm probably gonna post the awards sometime tomorrow. You still have time to PM me and vote!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Here's Issue 14 finally!
Spoiler:

Sorry I haven't been active lately. I am totally addicted to Pokemon X! It's so awesome!

of doing Pokemon X and Y overworld sprites so I can get Mega evolution in my comic later on.

I'm probably gonna post the awards sometime tomorrow. You still have time to PM me and vote!

That Riolu sure is strong. He hit Gengar with an Aura Sphere and visible damage was seen. Woo~

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Here's Issue 14 finally!
Spoiler:

You could always check Resource Requests. I know there was a Charizard X in there.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Guy guys and gals, sorry the R Awards is late. I've been busy lately. But here it is!
Spoiler:

I also got to do another Issue!
Spoiler:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
YAY Jynx is baack!
Woo, that's nice. No sweat, I'm sure Jynx was the most loved character so far XD

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
YAAAAAY JINX IS ALIVE ♥ Highlight of my day seeing this! I'm slightly curious as to how she beat that beast so easily but I sure am happy to see it. I can't wait to hear what she has to say about it all, I bet it'll be a great tale. I'm disappointed in Absol and Riolu though for not being emotional about her return!

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Here's Issue 16!
Spoiler:

I actually made this pretty late in my timezone. So I'm tired and probably gonna fall asleep soon after I post this.
Hopefully soon
I'll be able to fit in a Comic Issue contest. It's practically you guys making the next Issue and I decide which one I like is the best. But that'll be later.

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
Years
Can I just say that I love your comic! I'm so glad Jynx is alive and well! Ooh, I wonder whats going to happen at the snowy top of Mt. Silver. :'D

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Wow! Jynx starts her big story... I wonder what happened to the peak of Mt. Silver until then...

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Once again, haven't been realy active latley.

But I did get Issue 18 done!
Spoiler:

Btw, it's harder than I thought it would be trying to fit in a Contest Issue in. I'll probably do Issue 20 as the contest Iss
ue. (Which is pretty much people making that Issue and I choose the one I like and makes more sense in the story.)

That's all for now!

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Totally forgot to comment on the last comic. So that was Jynx's story! My god, I just hope her family is OK...

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Wow it has been too long. I know, I know I took a long break. But finally here's Issue 19.
Spoiler:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
I'd just like to THANK GAWD that there is at least one consistent sprite comic up on Pokecommunity these days. I've been disappointed these last couple years coming here and finding that no one was even bothering to make them as often, especially considering when I came here back in 2005 there was flood of 'em. It was genuinely refreshing to see.

On the matter of sprites and set-up, obviously the pokemon are from Mystery Dungeon- but I'm especially curious as to where you're finding all your environments. They're all quite lovely and well-placed. And back when I did comics I was a big fan of having the text under the panel too, but you may want to try your hand at speech bubbles. I found myself sometimes forgetting to look at the image above after reading the dialogue. Also, just as a thought: Don't forget that you don't have to stick with just one size of image panel. You can create much more economically spaced and dynamic imagery by having, say, boxes that are half the size of the one you have now, splitting boxes to contain two images, etc. Look at real comic books or the comic PokeChow for reference to what I'm referring to.

As far as story goes, it's fairly fanfiction-y and rudimentary. I'd love to see you experiment with more interesting plot points or characters, since I feel like most of your characters are interchangeable. Give them more substance and reason- they're doing everything because something is driving them. Whether it be something from their past, an ideal, etc. Why are Rilou and Absol, two commoner pokemon, going out of their way to stop the ruler of the Dark World, who is obviously much more powerful than them and not above attacking their innocent families back home? What rationale would they have for them to be willing to purposely mess with Darkrai by hording key items necessary for the completion of his plan, travel to a city entirely under water (where they can't bloody breathe), and risk their hides against horrible world-destroying behemoths?
Strong convictions and traits create strong characters that we can recognize and sympathize with. For instance, say that Absol was suddenly struck by a meteorite. I would say "oh, well, that sucks" and move on. It would have no effect on me, personally. Find a way for the character to be interesting- so that if a meteorite did come by, I'd be in shambles.

I'd also like to know about how you're handling the plot of these comics. I know when I did these, I would sit down and just start making them without any prior direction on where the plot was going. I was making it up as I went along. Are you doing the same? Because thinking about plot beforehand is usually better, since you have more direction.

One final note of criticism: Grammar! You may want to put your dialogue into Microsoft Word and spell check before you put it in your comic. Also be aware of using the right kind of "there," (There = place, their = possession, they're = "they are") and things of that nature.

Overall though? This comic has the right spirit. I found myself genuinely laughing at Darkrai's "WHAAAAAATTTTT?!"s, most prominently in the first panel of Comic 16. Spot-on timing there. Hopefully you'll consider what I've said and keep making these comics. I'd love to see more from you, and I hope you inspire others to start filling this place with more sprite comics.

Back